#2 2012-02-07 07:27:57

The Look

Re: The Marketing Wizards of Ivy in The Land of Oz

Fabulous!

#3 2012-02-07 07:28:17

Staceyboy
Ivy Archivist

^Excellent stuff! Thank you for taking the time to post these.

Staceyboy

http://thetownoutside.tumblr.com

#4 2012-02-07 07:28:46

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Ivy in Oz! Wow! The Look was everywhere!

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#5 2012-02-07 07:29:26

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

What a post!

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#6 2012-02-07 07:33:34

fxh
Big Down Under.

Good solid work brother.

I wonder if DJs has a history department?

Yesterday I found a full tailored West Point uniform with white clip on cuffs and collar in an op shop. I nearly grabbed it just for fun.

#7 2012-02-07 07:43:39

fxh
Big Down Under.

I think in those years DJs was still only in Sydney?

#8 2012-02-07 08:01:59

Gone_to_Gowings

#9 2012-02-07 10:01:50

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Genius !

I love you !!!

#10 2012-02-07 10:59:47

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Indeed a great post, the Ivy diaspora in action!

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#11 2012-02-07 17:07:31

12BarBlues
Mr. Ivy

Great stuff. I wonder how long it will be till we see these on Ivy-Style.con?

"To be honest I do like FNB...I always feel one of the thunderbirds when I say it."

#12 2012-04-16 07:12:18

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

From the Ivy League Clothes Wiki Talk page:

"I recall in Melbourne Australia "Ivy League" clothing as a rather smart line of apparel, which included cuffless light grey slacks in a 'serge' type material, which was teamed with buff coloured desert boots, a button down collared long sleeve shirt with a vertical stripe patterned in muted darkish colours (green, grey, burgundy, black, etc., in combinations). Jackets were also available in a check pattern (plaid, made up of dark green, grey and black (rather like one of the Scottish tartans). There was also vests that could be worn as well. Of course this ensemble was topped off with an "Ivy League" hair style........a shortish cut, with part, modest side burns and a tapered rear. Despite the colours the whole affect was 'muted, was 'loungish and very comfortable. I should have kept mine; though I would have trouble fitting into it now.

Incidentally, there was a TV program that I recall hosted by two guys, who's names were Delo & Daly, and that was the name of the show. I think they were from the U.S. and though I don't recall anything about the show, other than it was a sort of comic routine. However, I am fairly certain that one or both of them dressed in the Ivy League style. The period would have been in the late 1960's.

John P"

Any Delo & Daly info, folks ?

#13 2012-04-16 07:14:21

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J-FtKTErDQ&feature=related

#14 2012-04-17 07:29:45

fxh
Big Down Under.

Delo & Daly were on TV  here in the 60s. For some reason we were fond of giving imports their own shows here. It wasn't all that bad. Dave Allen did a lot here with his show and it was high quality.

I didn't grow up with tv, or electricity, so I might have on,y seen them a few times. Yes they were clean cut, and quite possibly IVY, as the WIKI talk bloke says. However by 62/63 the UK influence, Beatles, carnaby street etc was big and a lot of it was clean cut by our standards. If you look at old photos the Stones were actually well dressed and clean cut compared to what slob wear is around now. So it's hard to draw too many inferences from old TV shows here post 63 as they were all pop influenced.

The newspaper adverts I've seen from the mid 50s " the days before rock n roll" as Van sings , have adverts and advertorials talking about soft shoulders, plain fronts trousers, and IVY. 

I've got a few of the newspapers and need to get to and separate the clothing bits from the rest of the newspapers but it requires a bit of work converting the newspaper archives accurately, then separating out the adverts and fashion columns.

Part of the work is contributing to the accurate OCR digitized versions of the papers online so that other researchers will have less work to do.

No doubt the USA IVY blogger and moniteriser Christian Chensvold will appreciate all the work, with at the very least a hat tip to FNB Forum. Or even a footnote about the date downloaded and the person who contributed.

#15 2012-08-13 01:31:47

fxh
Big Down Under.

Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld) . Thursday 1 January 1953

U.S. Men Adopting  "New Look"

NEW YORK (AP.)-Ameri- can men are taking a third step toward a "new look." It is called the Edwardian look and lt consists of a fitted high-buttoned .coat with cuffs on the sleeves and no cuffs on the trousers. More daring brummels do lt up brown with a brocaded waistcoat.

This thing, of course, was bound to come, after the so called casual look reached suet proportions right after World War LT that you couldn't tell whether a man was wearing a business suit or his pyjamas.

Men have been edging cautiously toward a slightly less rumpled mode of dress for the last two years, since tailors started taking some of the padding out of shoulders and modifying lapels so that they didn't look like a flying jib.

But any move to change men's habits of dressing is in for' rough going before the boys can be persuaded to try something different. In a survey just completed by the National Association of Retail Clothers and Furnishers, 70 per cent of the association's 2000 store members felt that American men would have no truck with the Edwardian look. Others thought the trend would not develop until "some- time in the distant future."

Be that as it may, the "Daily News" record report that Edwardian-style men's suits "with narrow lapels, cuffs on the sleeves, collared vest and narrow- trousers" are being made in Belfast, (Ireland) for export to the United States, and F. Eugene Ackerman, director of the Wool Bureau, says: "The high buttoned look seems to be edging towards a national fashion."

Ackerman, a genial gent whose business ls to keep two jumps ahead of clothing trends, says you can see Edwardian suits at colleges from Princeton to Wisconsin this year, and by next year you will be seeing it generally over the country.

So it looks as if Fop is going to have a spruce up soon, and stop looking like head man at a hobo convention. It may be a wrench to part with those low necked shirts with collars reaching to the solar plexus and those ties wired for sound. The drooping slacks and baggy sports coat will have to go back to their rightful place in the country.

The one-and-two-button suits, which have lapels reaching below the belt buckle, must give way to a neater look, though lt win be a heavy blow to most male TV stars. The sports shirts which looked like surrealist nightmares will have to go back to scaring crows.

' The Edwardian suit has four or five buttons, natural shoulders, narrow sleeves and trousers, narrow, high lapels and generally a spruce, slight military air.

STARTED IN LONDON

It started in London. The American version is called the "natural drape" or the "ivy league" look, and consists basically of less padding and narrower lines.

So far, the experts are divided in their predictions of how far the trend will go. Some call it "freakish, foolish and fantastic" and others maintain it has to come, unless American men want to continue looking like unmade beds.

American women, of course, hail the new style with enthusiasm, working on the theory that any change in tile way men dress must be for the better.

Last edited by fxh (2012-08-13 01:32:43)

#16 2012-08-13 02:06:59

fxh
Big Down Under.

That above from Rockhampton is a straight dump from an AP wire article.

Interesting to me is that:

Rockhampton, a *cough* slightly provincial tropical city,  news paper in 1953 should think it worth publishing at all
and

The article obviously originated in USA - and credits the look as coming from UK.  However - Theres nothing to stop USA journos getting it wrong in 1953 just as theres nothing to stop them getting it wrong in 2001/12.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The Marketing Wizards of Ivy in The Land of Oz

Board footer