You are not logged in.

#101 2015-05-31 09:38:30

Tommy

Re: The Green OCBD

Do the apples have a decent collar roll though? Also different TKs can have completely different stock.

#102 2015-05-31 10:43:39

An Unseen Scene

Required collar roll, definitely yes - I wouldn't buy without. I know each store is different but worth a look in case they are there and of interest.   It's the thrill of the chase to see what of any interest is in there.

They sometimes have items online too.  I checked three of the stores in east Midlands (new Netherfield one, Nottingham, Loughborough) and they are full of good RL shirts at present in their various sub-labels.  I also picked up two white cotton poplins and three different blue end-on-ends (light blue, mid-blue, blue bengal wide stripe).    There was a good madras jacket by them too but I couldn't see myself wearing one.

I find these lots from labels come in batches and then are gone.  It was Gant before and Hackett before that.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2015-05-31 12:15:14)

#103 2022-01-10 12:41:31

A Fine Sadness

I have bumped this mainly because it contains a classic posting by Dennis Shamrock, purveyor of shirts and other items to members of this forum quite a few years ago.  Dennis, you old scoundrel, if you're reading this, those old Makers you sold me are still holding their own. 
I have bumped this secondly because anyone contemplating wearing a green shirt might draw inspiration from it.

#104 2022-01-10 23:44:01

RobbieB

I have a few green BD shirts of different shades and brands. I've never found it difficult to match it up with other clothes. I would post pictures if I could to illustrate my point. Think Robin Hood! Olive (Harrington) , grey (not shoes) white (t shirt under) beige, fawn (desert boots, strides) etc. I'm  no expert on colour coordination and the colour wheel used to give me a headache but I do occasionally get noted for my sense of colour.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#105 2022-01-11 00:54:42

Staxfan

I’ve got a BD Baggies green from 3-4 years back, whilst not being crazy about it I wear it with khakis and a navy sweater or navy cardigan and think it looks ok, wouldn’t buy another BDB though, collar positioning isn’t great and fabric seems stretchy, maybe the more recent ones are better,

#106 2022-01-11 02:45:43

colin
Bright Light

going to have to experimnet with my green makers shirt now after all this - will have your colour palette in mind, RobbieB!

#107 2022-01-11 04:25:57

A Fine Sadness

'Peach'.  The inside or the outside?  At a guess, without having seen one, the inside.  I might be tempted - now.  I wouldn't have been a dozen or so years ago.  But why couldn't an OCBD in 'peach' be worn with, say, a navy corduroy slack jacket?  White Levis again?  Perhaps cordo loafer territory. 
B.D.Baggie turned out too variable a shirt to be relied on.  I remember Dennis saying that they attracted little or no attention in the United States.  In fact, he sent me a denim (or possibly chambray) item free of charge, still with the 'Goodwill' tag attached to the collar.  Yet when they're good they're really quite all right - and certainly less obvious than many Ralph Lauren shirts.  The USA made denim fades in a particularly pleasing way.  I intend wearing mine with Stanley Blacker tweed after losing a couple of inches; possibly even Donegal tweed.

#108 2022-01-11 04:27:55

A Fine Sadness

Oh, yes, and the denim has quite a decent roll to the collar: a charge that cannot always be laid at the door of RL.

#109 2022-01-11 05:52:03

RobbieB

I had a peach RL, made in Canada, about 30 years ago. Don't know where it went. That might be a difficult colour to pull off, depending on your complection.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#110 2022-01-11 17:24:52

Tworussellstreet

Over the course of my career in Ivy I have made three purchases of the supposedly infamous green oxford button-down. Old mods and Ivyists were always going on about the bloody Milestones cover and 'that shirt' so I felt obliged to sign up to their neurotic obsessions and signal full membership of the club with a purchase - a green Brooks, green B.D.Baggies and green Kamakura Vintage Ivy have all been purchased over the years and they've all proved themselves completely unwearable. Certainly can never be worn under a jacket. Perhaps on its own on a warm day in May with white Levis and desert boots. Miles was a young, pretty black man on the sleeve of Milestones. He is professionally photographed in a mid-century chair with a flattering burnt orange backdrop behind him. Utterly absurd that a bunch of pasty Brits thought they could channel such exotica but I guess that's the nature of aspiration/inspiration/desperation.

#111 2022-01-12 02:02:37

A Fine Sadness

^ A splendid posting IMO - and not just because I love TRS like a brother.  There's a good deal to be said for context.  I have to remind myself from time to time that trying to dress like a black musician circa 1960 might not be such a bright idea after all.

#112 2022-01-12 02:15:23

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

2RS - ‘ Utterly absurd that a bunch of pasty Brits thought they could channel such exotica but I guess that's the nature of aspiration/inspiration/desperation.’

Pardon me, but I don’t come here to feel the harsh winds of reality!

smile

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#113 2022-01-12 02:37:39

A Fine Sadness

^ This made me smile.  One knows precisely what Woof's getting at.

#114 2022-01-12 02:49:54

Yuca

At one time I owned 3 peach Makers BDs - one colour I could not wear under any circumstances. Even hidden under knitwear. And I certainly tried. I got rid of all 3 in the end.

I bet I could manage a green BD though. Not too dark nor too light. With jeans or flannels it would work for me. Maybe with chinos in the original US army shade of very light brown.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#115 2022-01-12 02:50:25

SenorBlues

To add to the options JS are bringing one out this year I believe. I have quite an olive complexion, and green seems to work well for me, so I think I'll give it a shot.

Jakes does a pale green MTM Oxford. He was doing the same colour in Chambray, but he said he wasn't too happy with the shrinkage, so doesn't seem to be offering that one anymore.

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#116 2022-01-12 03:32:44

A Fine Sadness

Yuca's comments on 'peach' strike me as sensible enough.  I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one if periwinkle, white or one of the several university/candy stripes were on offer at around the same price.  Not, however, that I need any more shirts of any description.

#117 2022-01-12 04:28:36

A Fine Sadness

Having made that claim, I've just picked up a M&M USA-made blue shirt for £7.  Has a slightly frayed cuff, which won't bother me in the least.

#118 2022-01-12 05:36:08

colin
Bright Light

Mint green 6-button makers with a navy blue (demi-boat neck) shetland and raw demin today - I take back everything I said, green shirts are definitely wearable. Not super flexible, but still, don't know why I hadn't worn it in so long!

#119 2022-01-12 06:11:10

Spendthrift

I wonder how many of us will be wandering about in green shirts over the next few days?

Lucky we're spread so far and wide. The people of the town would be wondering if there was some kind of jazz/bible salesman convention.

And we'd all flip out because for the first time since school we'd be dressed the same as everyone else.

Board footer