You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-22 18:28:56

Madras_Seersucker
Member
From: Wowsville!
Posts: 339

NASA Ivy

AKA Mission Control Ivy smile

Anyone get into this sort of look?  You know short sleeve shirt, pocket protector type thing?

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/2725_114675main_gallery_mcc3_med.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/2725_gene-kranz.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/2725_s70-35014.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/2725_paul_haney_1417582c.jpg

I seem to recall Gene Kranz wearing a bit of Madras and tab collars during the moonshots etc...

Last edited by Madras_Seersucker (2012-02-22 21:53:00)


Strictly from Wowsville!

 

#2 2012-02-23 01:19:26

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.
From: age
Posts: 1223

Re: NASA Ivy

I think the hardcore look of short sleeved shirts and ties should be the property of NASA engineers. And Michael Douglas in "Falling Down". wink

A few years ago I was interested in the astronaut's look, sort of ivy with cropped hair. Maybe I can find the pics I gathered then, but it was not much and more on the disappointing side.

A movie called the "The Astronauts" was mentioned on MC a few years ago.That could be interesting, maybe.


Just to get a repp..

 

#3 2012-02-23 15:29:40

ThatGuy
Ivy in St. Louis
From: St. Louis
Posts: 132

Re: NASA Ivy

Axelist wrote:

I think the hardcore look of short sleeved shirts and ties should be the property of NASA engineers. And Michael Douglas in "Falling Down". wink

A few years ago I was interested in the astronaut's look, sort of ivy with cropped hair. Maybe I can find the pics I gathered then, but it was not much and more on the disappointing side.

A movie called the "The Astronauts" was mentioned on MC a few years ago.That could be interesting, maybe.

Actually the NASA guys have that trade marked. That is how they were able to fund space travel, up until a few years ago that is. smile

 

#4 2012-02-24 03:43:06

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.
From: age
Posts: 1223

Re: NASA Ivy

ThatGuy wrote:

Axelist wrote:

I think the hardcore look of short sleeved shirts and ties should be the property of NASA engineers. And Michael Douglas in "Falling Down". wink

A few years ago I was interested in the astronaut's look, sort of ivy with cropped hair. Maybe I can find the pics I gathered then, but it was not much and more on the disappointing side.

A movie called the "The Astronauts" was mentioned on MC a few years ago.That could be interesting, maybe.

Actually the NASA guys have that trade marked. That is how they were able to fund space travel, up until a few years ago that is. smile

Good to know. Sure they really travelled space? wink wink

Here are a few of the pics that I mentioned. Not very exciting.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/910_ap11-s64-31453.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/910_72404243.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/910_57578741.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/910_ap11-s69-25334.jpg


Just to get a repp..

 

#5 2012-02-25 17:43:33

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger
From: Beyond!
Posts: 4789

Re: NASA Ivy

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79309134/60 … _faveitems

http://img2.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.262295638.jpg

http://img1.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.262267457.jpg

One for the Ivy Astronauts.

Last edited by Liam Mac (2012-02-25 17:44:08)


"You've gotta get up close like this and - bada-BING! - you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit."

suits/jackets 36/37S. waist 29-30. shirts 14.5/15 32.

 

#6 2012-02-25 18:50:32

Worried Man
Member
From: Davebrubeckistan
Posts: 15928

Re: NASA Ivy

I'll lift from this look in the summer months.  I mean, it's a good look when it's hot as hell outside.


"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

 

#7 2012-02-25 23:45:14

katon
Member
Posts: 337

Re: NASA Ivy

I think NASA Ivy will probably remain an overseas thing... In the U.S., it seems like that look is still associated with folks like the father from Back to the Future...

http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/d/da/Back-to-the-Future-back-to-the-future-8227843-640-480.jpg

The meek government-worker type with too much faith in synthetics. It might be a generational thing, though... horn-rims made the transition, why not the rest of the look? smile

 

#8 2012-02-25 23:55:47

Madras_Seersucker
Member
From: Wowsville!
Posts: 339

Re: NASA Ivy

Liam Mac wrote:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/79309134/60s-grass-green-short-sleeve-nos-l?ref=pr_faveitems

One for the Ivy Astronauts.

Loving it AND being a 16 1/2 the damn thing would fit me smile


Strictly from Wowsville!

 

#9 2012-02-25 23:57:11

Madras_Seersucker
Member
From: Wowsville!
Posts: 339

Re: NASA Ivy

katon wrote:

I think NASA Ivy will probably remain an overseas thing... In the U.S., it seems like that look is still associated with folks like the father from Back to the Future...

http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/d/d … 40-480.jpg

The meek government-worker type with too much faith in synthetics. It might be a generational thing, though... horn-rims made the transition, why not the rest of the look? smile

I must be weird, apart from the creepy smile I'm liking this look :eek:


Strictly from Wowsville!

 

#10 2012-02-26 00:22:21

4F Hepcat
THE Cat
Posts: 14333

Re: NASA Ivy

Ultimately, the problem with NASA Ivy, is that it is the choice of clothing of glamourized system engineers and test pilots who were better than anyone at following the procedures. We should be looking at the Ivy choice of a different kind of both space and time traveller, Sun Ra!


Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

 

#11 2012-02-26 00:29:03

Harpo
The Best In The West
From: West Wales
Posts: 3394

Re: NASA Ivy

http://henpantha.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/sunra.jpg

Space is the place, baby!


Randy lower-class trifler

 

#12 2012-02-26 00:48:54

fxh
Big Down Under.
From: Melbourne
Posts: 6150

Re: NASA Ivy

Worried Man wrote:

I'll lift from this look in the summer months.  I mean, it's a good look when it's hot as hell outside.

Its 38C here at the moment.

I'm not inclined to be wearing a polyester short sleeve shirt with tie and pocket protector.

I know heppie still needs the pocket protector for his many coloured pens and calculator.


To do: insert constantly changing witty, knowing and slightly ironic literary quote or reference.

http://sexyankles.tumblr.com/

 

#13 2012-02-26 00:59:31

Gone_to_Gowings
Member
From: A sunburnt country
Posts: 140

Re: NASA Ivy

Marlboro Man meet Star Man .

Scott Carpenter in Western Australia September 1961.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1310_scott_carpenter_horse-riding_in_australian_bush_smh_sept12_1961.jpeg

 

#14 2012-02-26 01:02:02

4F Hepcat
THE Cat
Posts: 14333

Re: NASA Ivy

fxh wrote:

Worried Man wrote:

I'll lift from this look in the summer months.  I mean, it's a good look when it's hot as hell outside.

Its 38C here at the moment.

I'm not inclined to be wearing a polyester short sleeve shirt with tie and pocket protector.

I know heppie still needs the pocket protector for his many coloured pens and calculator.

I prefer an abacus, I find it more accurate for the complex equations needed to make the evolutionary jump into hyperspace.


Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

 

#15 2012-02-27 06:09:16

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.
From: age
Posts: 1223

Re: NASA Ivy

Just remembered that the movie I mentioned was called "Countdown". It was directed  by Robert Altman, btw. Wiki knows more: Countdown

Never saw it. Some on MC said it was an influence for the first Skinheads, when it came out.

Anyway, here's a pic I found. Quite nice. Of course, I mean Caan's outfit. smile

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/thumbs/910_scan0017_169.jpg


Just to get a repp..

 

#16 2012-02-27 06:23:33

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.
Posts: 1449

Re: NASA Ivy

Axelist wrote:

Just remembered that the movie I mentioned was called "Countdown". It was directed  by Robert Altman, btw. Wiki knows more: Countdown

Never saw it. Some on MC said it was an influence for the first Skinheads, when it came out.

Anyway, here's a pic I found. Quite nice. Of course, I mean Caan's outfit. smile

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … 17_169.jpg

There's a thread about that movie on here from a couple months ago.


"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

 

#17 2012-02-27 06:34:57

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.
Posts: 1449

Re: NASA Ivy

steve mcqueen fan wrote:

Axelist wrote:

Just remembered that the movie I mentioned was called "Countdown". It was directed  by Robert Altman, btw. Wiki knows more: Countdown

Never saw it. Some on MC said it was an influence for the first Skinheads, when it came out.

Anyway, here's a pic I found. Quite nice. Of course, I mean Caan's outfit. smile

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … 17_169.jpg

There's a thread about that movie on here from a couple months ago.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=9820


"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

 

#18 2012-02-27 07:37:44

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.
From: age
Posts: 1223

Re: NASA Ivy

steve mcqueen fan wrote:

steve mcqueen fan wrote:

Axelist wrote:

Just remembered that the movie I mentioned was called "Countdown". It was directed  by Robert Altman, btw. Wiki knows more: Countdown

Never saw it. Some on MC said it was an influence for the first Skinheads, when it came out.

Anyway, here's a pic I found. Quite nice. Of course, I mean Caan's outfit. smile

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … 17_169.jpg

There's a thread about that movie on here from a couple months ago.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=9820

Wow, missed that. At least I could add a pic of the astronauts's wife's behind.


Just to get a repp..

 

#19 2012-02-27 10:00:22

The Woolster
Ivy Antenna
Posts: 1783

Re: NASA Ivy

Axelist wrote:

At least I could add a pic of the astronauts's wife's behind.

Clearly I was focused on the wrong bits with those screen shots. Thanks Axelist.

I dig the look. Perhaps the 'astronaut on leave' more than 'mission control ivy', but it's great all the same. I think there are more pics of astronauts on the Boom Years thread somewhere.

 

#20 2012-02-27 10:52:05

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist
From: Grace Brothers
Posts: 1170

Re: NASA Ivy

Madras_Seersucker wrote:

AKA Mission Control Ivy smile

Anyone get into this sort of look?  You know short sleeve shirt, pocket protector type thing?

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … c3_med.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … -kranz.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … -35014.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … 17582c.jpg

I seem to recall Gene Kranz wearing a bit of Madras and tab collars during the moonshots etc...

There's a few film stills with Kevin Costner sporting a very similar look in JFK.

I couldn't seem to nab them off IMBD though.


“As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are.”

Peter Cook

 

#21 2012-05-29 09:57:13

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist
From: Grace Brothers
Posts: 1170

Re: NASA Ivy

I watched a cracking docu last night called "In the Shadow of the Moon" Presented by Ron Howard..

There's more  "NASA Ivy" in this than you can shake a stick at.

It follows the manned missions to the Moon in the '60s, with recent interviews with Bean, Collins, Buzz Aldrin, Young, to name but a few.

There's lots of footage and media coverage from the public archives from the time of the missions, as well as NASA films and materials which haven't been opened in over 30 years. All of this has been sourced and remastered in HD, so there's plenty of good quality clothes, glasses, and hair cut spotting. Plus plenty of science fact, if that's your thing?

This has to be the Astronautical version of Jazz On a Summers Day?


“As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are.”

Peter Cook

 

#22 2012-05-29 12:47:45

Madras_Seersucker
Member
From: Wowsville!
Posts: 339

Re: NASA Ivy

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen wrote:

I watched a cracking docu last night called "In the Shadow of the Moon" Presented by Ron Howard..

There's more  "NASA Ivy" in this than you can shake a stick at.

It follows the manned missions to the Moon in the '60s, with recent interviews with Bean, Collins, Buzz Aldrin, Young, to name but a few.

There's lots of footage and media coverage from the public archives from the time of the missions, as well as NASA films and materials which haven't been opened in over 30 years. All of this has been sourced and remastered in HD, so there's plenty of good quality clothes, glasses, and hair cut spotting. Plus plenty of science fact, if that's your thing?

This has to be the Astronautical version of Jazz On a Summers Day?

I'll keep an eye out for it smile


Strictly from Wowsville!

 

#23 2012-05-29 13:08:38

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger
From: Beyond!
Posts: 4789

Re: NASA Ivy

Here's a link for it. Should stream no problem.
http://www.putlocker.com/file/735A09820E7A4ED1


"You've gotta get up close like this and - bada-BING! - you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit."

suits/jackets 36/37S. waist 29-30. shirts 14.5/15 32.

 

#24 2012-05-29 15:36:05

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate
From: Staines-upon-Thames, Middlesex
Posts: 5997

Re: NASA Ivy

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen wrote:

I watched a cracking docu last night called "In the Shadow of the Moon" Presented by Ron Howard..

I saw it a few months ago, a magical film that took me back to a time full of hope when the West reigned supreme. New frontiers were being conquered and anything seemed possible, including the threat of nuclear annihilation, but you only thought about that during the small hours of the night.

Last edited by woofboxer (2012-05-29 15:36:58)


'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

 

#25 2012-05-29 21:34:00

Madras_Seersucker
Member
From: Wowsville!
Posts: 339

Re: NASA Ivy

Liam Mac wrote:

Here's a link for it. Should stream no problem.
http://www.putlocker.com/file/735A09820E7A4ED1

Brilliant- gives me something to look at on my day off tomorrow1  smile


Strictly from Wowsville!

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 Rickard Andersson