You are not logged in.

#326 2022-02-20 06:05:01

AFS

Re: NASA Ivy

This may be unfair or misguided, but didn't John Simons (in particular, I suppose) rather 'visualise'/'conceptualise' a certain kind of customer?  There was obviously something going on (which I'm too young to know about, nor was I in the right place at the right time) with a number of young men perhaps wanting to 'smarten themselves up' a bit by wearing button-down shirts, brogues, loafers, Harrington jackets etc.  Had John been selling to a rather more selective clientele early on?  I suppose he must have been: to the self-conscious 'Modernists' rather than the - pardon the expression - 'sussed curiosity-seekers'.

#327 2022-02-20 06:06:05

AFS

^ I hope this makes some kind of sense.

#328 2022-02-20 06:07:40

AFS

This is where we need contributions from Uncle Ian, KingstonIan, Hill Rise, Chris_H and others.

#329 2022-02-20 07:19:15

Kingston1an

I cannot add anything. I was still at school and just buying the shirts and shoes. I had no idea who JS was or who owned the various shops. I just saw a variety of sales assistants whenever I went to one, always seemed to be different people. I certainly wasn’t passing the time with the owner discussing modern jazz, current events or whatever. It was look in the window, or on the shelves, identify purchase, buy and head out the door. I only discovered who JS was via tinternet. I did not even know he owned both The Squire shop and The Ivy shop.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#330 2022-02-20 07:39:19

Uncle Ian

I concur with KingsonIan - I had no interest in who owned, or worked in, the shops. I just knew they sold the kind of stuff I wanted to wear, as also did Austin's of course. When it all went "Kings Road", so did I. As John Simons himself said many years later: if you still had short hair in 1971 you'd never get a girlfriend!

#331 2022-02-21 02:24:12

Tworussellstreet

Just to chip in on a couple of points - the notion that The Ivy Shop went into decline because John Simons didn't like 15/16 year olds in his shops - well, it hung around for 30 years and was selling good stuff right to the end. And the teenagers would have been welcome in the shop if they were buying the occasional item, and not just clogging it up or nicking stuff. It was a tiny shop selling very pricey gear, and much of it used to get lifted. In the late 80s I was working there on a sale day. Some tough nuts turned up, now middle aged men in their 40s/50s, still into some of the clothes, the shoes mainly. Bostonian cordovan wingtips were in the sale, and one hard-faced little guy, who wasn't inclined to polite conversation, just grabbed a box in his size, chucked £60 in rolled up tenners in my hand, and stormed out with them under his arm. They were about £120 in the sale I think. I called after him "Excuse me, fine sir, but I believe you have underpaid and require a receipt". But this ex-bonehead, an innovative type of bargain hunter,  was off, scooting back over Richmond Bridge, his 'Royals' tucked away under his arm.

#332 2022-02-21 02:35:20

Kingston1an

I never felt unwelcome as a teenager in The Squire shop or the Ivy shop, but it was just not somewhere I would hang out.

Given the number of sales assistants in the 60s/70s, I am surprised shoplifting was even possible let alone a big problem.

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

Board footer