You are not logged in.

#51 2012-03-05 20:02:23

prince nez

Re: The outer limits of shirting

formby wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

prince nez wrote:

I'm generally a fan of contrast collars/cuffs. Here are a few "winter" shirts I had made a little while back. The mauve herringbone is often paired with a Duchamp tie (and on formal occasions my Penrose pocketchief) and a dark suit. I've also paired the red stripe with red/blue/white floral tie, which is a pretty "loud" combination.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss11 … 105771.jpg

That lilac shirt has a good color to it. I should choose more lilac patterns but I always choose pink. Lilac in the USA is an odd choice and can elicit negative responses. It doesnt make any sense but there is a reason for it that I havent uncovered. I suppose I am just too much of a coward an go for the pink every time.

The white shirt on the bottom has an interesting texture.  I find there is a difference in effect between unintentionally "loud" combinations and intentional ones.

The white one looks like pique.

I like the lilac herringbone. Not keen on the red stripe though but might wear it in a check.

For some reason I'm the opposite of you FNB, and tend to go for lilac/mauve over pink. It is intriguing that it provokes negative responses in the US. Really, there is no stigma attached to either colour in Australia where the "formal" dress code is almost without exception liberal. Bright colours might set you apart as a bit of a dandy here, but I've never noticed negative reactions to be colour-specific.

I'm not sure of the name of the fabric used for the white shirt, but my shirtmaker recommended it to me as it doesn't crease easily. It has a nice hand to it and is also a comfortable fabric. I have a couple of other white shirts with interesting patterns, I'll see if I can take some photos.

#52 2012-03-05 20:51:48

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

prince nez wrote:

formby wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

That lilac shirt has a good color to it. I should choose more lilac patterns but I always choose pink. Lilac in the USA is an odd choice and can elicit negative responses. It doesnt make any sense but there is a reason for it that I havent uncovered. I suppose I am just too much of a coward an go for the pink every time.

The white shirt on the bottom has an interesting texture.  I find there is a difference in effect between unintentionally "loud" combinations and intentional ones.

The white one looks like pique.

I like the lilac herringbone. Not keen on the red stripe though but might wear it in a check.

For some reason I'm the opposite of you FNB, and tend to go for lilac/mauve over pink. It is intriguing that it provokes negative responses in the US. Really, there is no stigma attached to either colour in Australia where the "formal" dress code is almost without exception liberal. Bright colours might set you apart as a bit of a dandy here, but I've never noticed negative reactions to be colour-specific.

I'm not sure of the name of the fabric used for the white shirt, but my shirtmaker recommended it to me as it doesn't crease easily. It has a nice hand to it and is also a comfortable fabric. I have a couple of other white shirts with interesting patterns, I'll see if I can take some photos.

Actually, outside of a relatively small circle, pink will run you into trouble here too. Pink is alright for Manhattan, Astoria or Brooklyn Heights but i wouldn't wear it in most of the suburbs unless I was going to a private place like a country club. If I went to Detroit, I wouldnt wear pink anything.  A girl, originally from Louisiana, working at a restaurant in NYC was flirting with me and she teased me about my pink shirt. Americans react strongly to color and color is part of the non-stop tough guy ethos. You can wear a big pattern as long as it is dull or the colors can be bright as long as they are manly. A large check in blue and orange might work but not purple and pink.

I do not know what incites Americans about lilac on men but the worse quality the American, the rowdier it makes them; which is something of a reason to avoid it. A pure purple is much more acceptable and you can wear a solid purple shirt or a purple stripe.

I happen to like lilac and have several shirts in the color but it doesnt produce the effect I want. Pink works better.

Sure, post some more things.

I want to see more of the shirts people wear to work.

Le costume fait sur mesure en tissue Fresco est le préféré des ploucs!
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB Instagram: fnbdandy

#53 2012-03-05 20:57:58

Gilgamesh2003

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Actually, outside of a relatively small circle, pink will run you into trouble here too. Pink is alright for Manhattan, Astoria or Brooklyn Heights but i wouldn't wear it in most of the suburbs unless I was going to a private place like a country club. If I went to Detroit, I wouldnt wear pink anything.

Hah! I hope this is Manhattanite xenophobic satire (a rightfully beloved genre, of course). I live in god damn Iowa and I don't hesitate to wear pink.

#54 2012-03-05 21:07:39

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Gilgamesh2003 wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Actually, outside of a relatively small circle, pink will run you into trouble here too. Pink is alright for Manhattan, Astoria or Brooklyn Heights but i wouldn't wear it in most of the suburbs unless I was going to a private place like a country club. If I went to Detroit, I wouldnt wear pink anything.

Hah! I hope this is Manhattanite xenophobic satire (a rightfully beloved genre, of course). I live in god damn Iowa and I don't hesitate to wear pink.

It is, it is.

I have never been to Iowa but like Ohio, there are probably places where you can wear it and places where it's not such a good idea. It may be a class thing rather than a location thing.

#55 2012-03-05 21:14:48

Gilgamesh2003

Film Noir Buff wrote:

I have never been to Iowa

You're not missing much. They have $3 Blue Moon and an intriguing sanctuary for injured eagles. The rest of the state is skippable.

#56 2012-03-06 01:56:51

fxh
Big Down Under.

Sorting out the laundry I thought I'd try to do that artistic, casual yet careful, thing that FNB does with the shirts,  but it just looks like I chucked them on the table. I don't consider any of them pushing the limits of anything at all - except to outer limits of my stomach for some of them. I think I'm more self conscious about ones I have with richer material than with colours.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1550_shirts1.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1550_shirt3.jpg

A while back I tried to sort some ties by colours  - it was a fail.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1550_ties_roll.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1550_ties_hang_2.jpg

To do: insert constantly changing witty, knowing and slightly ironic literary quote or reference.

http://sexyankles.tumblr.com/

#57 2012-03-06 04:52:49

Bishop of Briggs

I had missed FNB's requests for my shirt preferences.

My shirt collection is roughly 50% fine/bengal/candy stripes (several colours) and 50% white and blue solids (poplin, oxford and end-on-end). Small spotted or plain grenadine ties are worn with the bengal and candy stripes. My work suits are blue or grey and single-breasted.

I prefer a bengal stripe or plain shirt with a tweed jacket depending on the pattern. A bengal or candy stripe looks good with a windowpane. I am not a fan of multiple pattern look, especially tattersall shirts and hunting ties with tweed jackets that you see on the websites of country outfitters.

My choices, admittedly conservative, are personal and have remained constant over the last 30 years. I don't follow any tribe or have any style icons that I try to copy. And please don't confuse being opinionated with being curmudgeonly.

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is now dead!

#58 2012-03-06 06:45:42

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

fxh wrote:

Sorting out the laundry I thought I'd try to do that artistic, casual yet careful, thing that FNB does with the shirts,  but it just looks like I chucked them on the table. I don't consider any of them pushing the limits of anything at all - except to outer limits of my stomach for some of them. I think I'm more self conscious about ones I have with richer material than with colours.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1550_shirts1.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1550_shirt3.jpg

A while back I tried to sort some ties by colours  - it was a fail.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … s_roll.jpg

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/ … hang_2.jpg

The photos I posted above are of shirts awaiting completion at my shirt makers. I didnt realize I had started an art movement wink.

That check on the top resides on a pink background?

#59 2012-03-06 07:16:11

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Bishop of Briggs wrote:

My shirt collection is roughly 50% fine/bengal/candy stripes (several colours) and 50% white and blue solids (poplin, oxford and end-on-end). Small spotted or plain grenadine ties are worn with the bengal and candy stripes. My work suits are blue or grey and single-breasted.

I prefer a bengal stripe or plain shirt with a tweed jacket depending on the pattern. A bengal or candy stripe looks good with a windowpane. I am not a fan of multiple pattern look, especially tattersall shirts and hunting ties with tweed jackets that you see on the websites of country outfitters.

My choices, admittedly conservative, are personal and have remained constant over the last 30 years. I don't follow any tribe or have any style icons that I try to copy. And please don't confuse being opinionated with being curmudgeonly.

I look forward to your opinions partly because you are opinionated. I find you imposing. I would like to hear your opinions on some of my bolder shirts.

The currents you give off are powerful enough for me to keep your opinionated aspects distinct from your curmudgeonly ones but I find both endearing. After all, I am very bored with choices you might find flamboyant and need a fresh set of eyes to let me know what reactions the reasonable man might have.

I am sure you didnt get where you are by following any style icons wink

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7589/12044.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#60 2012-03-06 09:53:46

Bishop of Briggs

I guess that's what you would call "getting my just Sunshine Desserts"! wink

I like your bold shirts in this photo.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3858/goodstuffsmall.jpg

I would wear a plain blue or pink tie with the top 2 shirts in a corporate environment, e.g. this knitted Duchamp

http://y.duchamplondon.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/241x322/0f396e8a55728e79b48334e699243c07/D/2/D23_400_141_2S.jpg

However, in a St James's or Mayfair gentleman's club, anything goes.

For colourful combinations, it is hard to beat the examples in Turnbull & Asser's window displays.

http://origamikaori.blog.com/files/2011/04/P1060962.jpg

They know how to mix bold stripes and checks with paisley and striped ties. T&A's shirts are too big for me but I buy my ties and pocket squares from them.

Last edited by Bishop of Briggs (2012-03-06 10:02:42)

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is now dead!

#61 2012-03-06 10:28:12

Bishop of Briggs

formby wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

formby wrote:

Drakes prices are bordering on taking the piss.

I don't bother with them now, even though they still continue to make nice ties I view them as an iGent brand now. Sam Hober will make you a tie to specification for less than Drakes charge for a RTW. That's the way to go.

Besides, you can get nice ties all over Britain. I bought a floral tie for £30 from M&S the other week, narrower than I would normally wear but worn under a 3 piece it doesn't really matter.

Marks and Spencer are getting pricey.

£30 isn't bad for a floral Duchamp-esque tie. I was impressed.

Similar to this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 … SL500_.jpg

Good value. It's hard to beat Turnbull & Asser's sale ties for value - made in London and still only around £40. I got an extra 20% off in Harrods with my store card.

#62 2012-03-06 11:18:35

Big Tony

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Please ddscribe and/or post images of the sorts of shirts you wear or would wear for work. You can show the tamest and the boldest you would wear. Additional information such as the sorts of suits or jackets you wear would be helpful as well as what country you're in.

I'm especially interested in seeing what the Bishop wears.

Bishop of Briggs wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

I look forward to your opinions partly because you are opinionated. I find you imposing. I would like to hear your opinions on some of my bolder shirts.

The currents you give off are powerful enough for me to keep your opinionated aspects distinct from your curmudgeonly ones but I find both endearing. After all, I am very bored with choices you might find flamboyant and need a fresh set of eyes to let me know what reactions the reasonable man might have.

I can't help but think there is some sort of undercurrent going here that I'm missing...

"What sort of post-apocalyptic deathscape is this?"
"I don't want to look like a cock hungry sailor after all !!!"
"When it comes to infidelity, broken families, and reckless fatherhood, the underclass are amateurs."

#63 2012-03-06 11:30:11

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Big Tony wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

Please ddscribe and/or post images of the sorts of shirts you wear or would wear for work. You can show the tamest and the boldest you would wear. Additional information such as the sorts of suits or jackets you wear would be helpful as well as what country you're in.

I'm especially interested in seeing what the Bishop wears.

Bishop of Briggs wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

I can't help but think there is some sort of undercurrent going here that I'm missing...

It's rare that I encounter someone who has such extreme reactions to some items of clothing and he's from the UK, which is a anthropological interest of mine. Therefore, I like to get his opinion.

Also, i've considered so much clothing and style at this point that it's somewhat difficult to stand back and see an item the way someone will react to it for the first time.

I rarely react to people's clothing, unless it's filthy or dangerous looking. I usually react to the person irrespective of their clothing. I am also something of a power drain on bold clothing. I partly wear it because people do not think, wow what a crazy shirt, but rather, hmm, if he's wearing it, cant be too odd. I'm very mainstream and conventional in terms of manner and the energy I give off. If that makes any sense? Ths, it's interesting to hear the reactions the clothing gets on its own vs. the reactions it gets on me.

#64 2012-03-06 12:21:02

Bishop of Briggs

Extreme reactions? I rarely react or comment strongly on anything here other than iGent inanity. Our host took exception to my comments on Duchamp, one of his favourite brands, a few months ago. If I offended him, I apologise.

FNB may have a false impression of London. It is rare to see well-dressed men outside Mayfair/St James's these days. Standards have slipped in the City too. Most of the men in my part of West London wear denim jeans (often grubby) with t-shirts. A few office and shop workers wear poor-fitting suits. Such a contrast to the city that I loved in the 80s and 90s!!

#65 2012-03-06 13:23:58

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Bishop of Briggs wrote:

Extreme reactions? I rarely react or comment strongly on anything here other than iGent inanity. Our host took exception to my comments on Duchamp, one of his favourite brands, a few months ago. If I offended him, I apologise.

FNB may have a false impression of London. It is rare to see well-dressed men outside Mayfair/St James's these days. Standards have slipped in the City too. Most of the men in my part of West London wear denim jeans (often grubby) with t-shirts. A few office and shop workers wear poor-fitting suits. Such a contrast to the city that I loved in the 80s and 90s!!

No apologies needed. Extreme relative to the general UK reaction.

#66 2012-03-06 14:51:48

dick james

Bishop of Briggs wrote:

Your dress taste is quite the same as the great foo, no wonder you're so jealous of him.

#67 2012-03-06 16:07:59

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

dick james wrote:

Bishop of Briggs wrote:

Your dress taste is quite the same as the great foo, no wonder you're so jealous of him.

If you people want to snark each other on here, that's your business. Do not muck up my threads.

#68 2012-03-06 16:47:19

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

I hate to say I agree with Briggs, the standard of men's dress in London is pretty poor, I always think chaps that come into our store look better in the italian suits we sell, than the Jermyn Street labels they might be wearing, but that's RTW I couldn't comment on M2M as I haven't a clue.

Back to shirts though, I find the tie and shirt combinations pretty tasteless on the websites and in the stores of most of the Jermyn Street retailers. In fact I find it quite hard to understand why people get so excited by what are quite often really ugly shirts and ties. Drakes ties all seem to be in really good taste compared to T&A, N&L and H&K.

Again, I'm not big on the scene, but I'd hold Drakes taste up as being better than most when it comes to what I think is cool about the UK look.

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2012-03-06 16:54:05)

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#69 2012-03-06 16:48:23

dick james

Film Noir Buff wrote:

dick james wrote:

Bishop of Briggs wrote:

If you people want to snark each other on here, that's your business. Do not muck up my threads.

Are you trying to tell the Bishop to be nice to you?

#70 2012-03-06 16:58:06

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

Something like this is loud and proud

Drakes Madder

http://www.drakes-london.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/515x579/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/0/k0eh.03052.001_m.jpg

where as this is just loud and fugly.

T&A

http://store.turnbullandasser.co.uk/Images/products/TL23406006_M.jpg

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2012-03-06 17:00:17)

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#71 2012-03-06 17:42:49

formby

Oo Bop Sh'bam wrote:

Drakes Madder

http://www.drakes-london.com/media/cata … .001_m.jpg

T&A

http://store.turnbullandasser.co.uk/Ima … 6006_M.jpg

Not keen on the first one but like the last one.

A bold tie has to fit into part of a look. Well cut shirt, very well cut suit it creates a dissonance. Combine them with a poorly cut suit and a poorly styled shirt and the look is destroyed. It just look sloppy.

There is always a danger of falling into the iGent/SF trap of viewing things in isolation. Nobody just wears a tie an nothing else, well not unless you're lucky...wink

Last edited by formby (2012-03-06 17:43:38)

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#72 2012-03-06 19:56:39

fxh
Big Down Under.

Film Noir Buff wrote:

The photos I posted above are of shirts awaiting completion at my shirt makers. I didnt realize I had started an art movement wink.

That check on the top resides on a pink background?

Yes its a pink background - with blue/purplish lines in check. In the second pic theres a grey / lavender back ground with quite bright strong pink lines guarding the white on the check. Theres others not in pics with pink stripes and pink checks. I don't have any straight solid pinks as I have always thought pink doesn't look that good against my skin/face/neck. (or really it doesn't flatter me).The pics aren't very good - everything above is actually much brighter and stronger in real life.

To do: insert constantly changing witty, knowing and slightly ironic literary quote or reference.

http://sexyankles.tumblr.com/

#73 2012-03-06 22:01:06

Simon
On A Mission

formby wrote:

A bold tie has to fit into part of a look. Well cut shirt, very well cut suit it creates a dissonance. Combine them with a poorly cut suit and a poorly styled shirt and the look is destroyed. It just look sloppy.

I was in a shop in town a couple of weeks back and one of the sales people had a orange shirt on with a large white windowpane check and contrast collar and cuffs, he'd coupled it with a green and pink diagonal stripe tie. It looked fantastic, even Mrs. Simon commented on his combo, not items that would look snazz on their own at all.

Blatant Modernist.

#74 2012-03-07 01:34:40

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

formby wrote:

Oo Bop Sh'bam wrote:

Drakes Madder

T&A

There is always a danger of falling into the iGent/SF trap of viewing things in isolation. Nobody just wears a tie an nothing else, well not unless you're lucky...wink

Haha, and where you wear it.

I think what I'm illustrating (badly) is what I see to be a hangover of the 80's and 90's mentality in some material and pattern choices. Especially by some of the brands we get looking to supply our shop. It's not just British though Eton sometimes have pretty awful patterns. But maybe this is just more my taste than anything to do with trend or geography. And maybe what I like now will be deemed as shocking in ten years, as well as immediately!

#75 2012-03-07 03:41:26

Ali Kebab

formby wrote:

Oo Bop Sh'bam wrote:

Drakes Madder

T&A

Agree with formby about the Drakes madder. It just looks bad in action. Whether it's the tie, or the waistcoat, or the cut of the whole suit, I don't know.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2pxYQWsKUgM/Tyh_a2aOdgI/AAAAAAAAH94/Mac1Cfy_800/s1600/db%2Bvest.jpg

Board footer