You are not logged in.

#26 2012-03-26 17:08:34

fxh
Big Down Under.

Re: The Ivy colour wheel

Thanks ooey. That does help those little block charts. The grape colour is a little less intense than that purple but much the same tone. You are right that the eye is best but it's not that easy to just throw ona jacket that goes withnthe rest ok.

As regards thee olde beatnike , I've got graphic artists in the family .......

I'm sure that beneath beaties black beret and grumpy old gnarled snarky exterior we would find there actually beats a wonderful grumpy old gnarled snarky heart of black berets.

#27 2012-03-26 17:16:49

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

I've often found the temperamental are the most talented.

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#28 2012-03-26 17:22:36

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

Have a play around with this FXH, it's what I use, although if you go to colourlovers forum you can download a really good one that you can programme to create unique palettes which is great for me doing the music scale thing. Cost $50 though. Again an analytical approach to colour is not a bad thing. As long as you can judge with you eye still. You can't rely on charts, also on a screen, colour is reproduced in RGB, in life you are seeing it all much differently. Dyes work along the lines of CYMK, and sunlight gives different qualities to colours. In life colour has much more complexity and depth. IMO.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2009/12/01/colorschemer-studio-2-for-mac-colourlovers

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2012-03-26 17:25:35)

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#29 2012-03-26 17:48:59

fxh
Big Down Under.

Yeah no yeah. As we say here.

I can't do it so analytically. It's all by eye and feel with me. But it's good to have those charts to kick off. It took me ages to see that black  shoes really worked. I can see it with the chart.

Oh and thanks for describing my currrent choices of colours as girlie.

#30 2012-03-26 17:54:41

fxh
Big Down Under.

I agree about light and sunlight giving life to colours. Blue pants particularly always look great outside in sunshine, but very so so inside.

And the light is different here in oz to uk eu.

It makes some of the "rules" for clothes and recommendations from over there not quite work here and vice versa. Some no goes from there will work here.

You can see the problem in many old paintings. The expats from eu couldnt capture the Australian light at all. It took years before they learnt how to capture the Australian light. There's not that constant moisture in the air here that softens and filters the colours. There's other issues too.

#31 2012-03-27 09:58:18

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#32 2012-03-27 11:46:23

Thee Beatnik
Thee One & Only

Because Sammy, most people don't know the difference between good and bad design. All they understand is price, so why should they pay a real designer money when little Billy next door can cobble something together on his computer for the price of a box of maltesers?
Everyone now is a DJ, an artist and a musician, as soon as they plug in their Mac.
Yes, it's good that people get the chance to be creative but at what price...

Oh, if you would like to check out one of my business ventures go to paulfordcartoonportraits.co.uk

Last edited by Thee Beatnik (2012-03-27 11:51:19)

#33 2012-03-27 12:04:31

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

People that DJ from laptops are scum.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#34 2012-03-27 12:18:25

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

I don't see the place of that argument really, although paintings are nicer to look at than screens, and vinyl is better sounding than digital, but it is all an advancement and new media and methods can offer things that weren't afford before, as well as detract.

I stopped using pens and paper because after outlaying for a laptop it was cheaper, easier, and less messy, to draw with a tablet, when I ran out of room for vinyl, it was better to have mp3s. 

The creative process is important and what you use or how you do it, is just by the by. People should be looking to learn things and express themselves, in what ever way they choose. I mean look at Jazz by Mattisse, huge piece of Art History, he was just cutting out bits of coloured card FFS!

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2012-03-27 12:19:26)

#35 2012-03-27 12:22:45

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

Anyway Beat, all your colouring and inking there has been done in Photoshop or similar it looks like, you seem to be using this technology?

#36 2012-03-27 13:16:04

Fritz the Cat

#37 2012-03-27 13:35:39

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

That's only really the case when you look at things in writing, if people show what they have applied and not just, 'a theory' and some waffle, then at least you can see what they were talking about. Critics and internet-snark-warriors are a web based thing because they never have to be held account to their ideas or words. I've never tried to do that, or be like that. I've always shown my working, so to speak. And whether I'm professionally this or that doesn't really matter, there are many incapable people employed in this world.

I learnt, and studied art and design, I didn't seek to do it as a job because I enjoyed other things more. But it is always been something I've done, and like I said people can look at my stuff and make their own judgements as to whether or not I know what I'm doing. Or what I'm saying has any merit.

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2012-03-27 13:39:28)

#38 2012-03-27 14:13:23

Thee Beatnik
Thee One & Only

I do use photoshop to colour those cartoons Oo Bop, but the outlines are all hand drawn and not just a filter used on a photograph as some so called cartoonists do, (although some of those illustrations are coloured using mixed media - pantone, gouache and pencil).
Following your argument though, about vinyl to mp3, pen and paper to laptop, this is surely drastically opposed to the whole ethos of this forum, as in beautifully crafted, hand made clothing in traditional fabrics. Modern technology is not always good, otherwise you might as well go and buy a robotically created suit in super lightweight modern fabric from Burtons...

#39 2012-03-27 14:20:13

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

It's a different medium really, but I see what you mean. I like what Jesmond says about adam!, he lives in his own time, and does his own thing, but it relates back as well as moves forwards, like how I imagine people like Liam and H to be. I suppose it may be an age thing, but to carbon copy what you love isn't the same as expressing yourself, or moving forward. You have to take influence, and move forwards. IMO I mean the line is a thin one, just look at the oi polloi and oki-ni looks that go on, I think there is a boundary. Whether it is clothes, music or art. You have to walk the line. And recognise what made something great, whilst still trying to create and innovate. The problem we have is the thirst for something that stands out, more than it adheres to some pretty well thought out principles.

People say art is subjective, I don't think it is, I just think there is more than one right answer, but the principles are in science. The expression and the talent is in the individual.

#40 2012-03-27 14:31:14

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

I'm not sure how that answers your question, if at all. But you yourself still use a computer, so you must know the answer.

One thing I regret is never learning oils, I just used to stick to acrylics. So even in actual physical mediums there are still preferred methods I guess.

Anyway, back to the Ivy palette, there is something to be said about the expression of the individual and Ivy, I think the colours of Ivy reflect the personalities of introverted-extroverts. The colours are there, but they are muted, or darkened, they are typically the tones I would suggest 'men' would go for.

Like I said everything in Prep is bright and showy and extrovert, Ivy says Ok, calm it down mate. You look like a dick. But we ain't goths either. We like colour just in a less showy way. I think pastels save us from looking too dowdy. And white trainers or bucks seem to suggest youthfulness along with the casual sports clothes influence of Ivy. Obviously you get into the smarter conservative style the room to manoeuvre becomes narrower and narrower. In maybe the choices of some of the more out there colours, even in muted shades.

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2012-03-27 14:34:08)

#41 2012-03-27 15:38:43

Thee Beatnik
Thee One & Only

When I flippently told you to to 'not give up your day job' Oo Bop, I did mean it in a light hearted way old chap. I hope you don't feel I was being malicious, you have raised some excellent points...

#42 2012-03-27 15:49:28

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

To be honest I thought it was, but it wasn't that so much that bothered me, as much as the threat that other people might think, oh well I won't listen to what he has to say, cause people that should know more disregard it, I just feel passionate about people being enlightened in their thoughts towards colour and how they dress and what it communicates etc. That's what interests me. And that's what I'm trying to teach people, basically all the stuff that seemed to have been missed, or poorly taught when I was learning art at college and uni. And had to go and educate myself on. THe thing with the colour wheel is it's like learning scales, it'll teach you so much, but then you have to use your own personality, and skill to make it something interesting and worthwhile.

Last edited by Oo Bop Sh'bam (2012-03-27 15:53:19)

#43 2012-03-27 22:22:48

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Sorry to butt in again but...as someone who runs two soul night nights I find that DJing from a laptop is soul-less. Wheres the soul in a download? Wheres the passion of finding the record? The love of playing it? I have CDs and MP3s of stuff of course but playing in a club with downloads in just sad. Dancing to sounds from a machine is soul-less. Its not what soul music is about.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#44 2012-03-28 00:53:22

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I must say I do like Beatnik's cartoons, adding articles and geographical locations to the format adds dimension to the caricature art.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#45 2012-03-28 05:06:30

Harpo
The Best In The West

They say that in 10 years computers will have rendered paper obsolete.

I say, try wiping your arse with a laptop.

Randy lower-class trifler

#46 2012-03-28 05:27:50

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

Ha!

#47 2012-03-28 05:32:22

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

Also i agree to what si said, if i went to a soul night or something like that i'd be pretty pissed off if it were off a laptop, but a lot of the music that comes out that i like at the moment there is no physical release, so you have to download it, or say with pysch, you can't get a lot of those old tunes on vinyl without paying 500 to a thousand for a 45! So a lot of times i play digital against vinyl, put i don't really play out anymore.

#48 2012-03-28 05:43:47

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#49 2012-03-28 15:48:51

Thee Beatnik
Thee One & Only

I do wear a grey sweatshirt with cut off sleeves and have regular periods of goateeness Mister Mcqueen Fan.
It's a pretty Bohemian way of earning a living though... Drawing cartoons of people.

It's not like I'm an accountant Daddyo...

And cheers Hepcat!

Last edited by Thee Beatnik (2012-03-28 15:49:50)

#50 2012-03-29 00:55:48

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

Board footer