You are not logged in.

#51 2012-03-29 06:40:43

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

Re: The Ivy colour wheel

Last edited by steve mcqueen fan (2012-03-29 08:30:55)

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#52 2012-03-29 08:19:14

fxh
Big Down Under.

heppie as much as I hate to pick a blue...

vinyl ads a lot of distortion and "warmth" to a sound. Its not automatically better or worse - it depends what you like.

Digital adds nothing and takes away nothing. You can have warmth on digital or not. Theres nothing inherent in vinyl / analogue except distortion. That distortion can be good/welcome or bad /unwelcome .

You can get "warmth" (distortion) through the source = vinyl/tape/digital or through the amp or through the speakers or through the original recording.

Have you listened to ECM jazz recordings on digital?

#53 2012-03-29 08:32:58

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I had the misfortune to buy some Sam & Dave that had been digital remastered, just didn't sound right at all. Lost the humph, so to speak. James Hunter, Five Aces, Peter Berry & the Shake Set all only record(ed) in analogue. I think Sharron Jones also only works in analogue, I'm sure theres more.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#54 2012-03-29 09:17:00

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

Let me put on my technical hat.

Right basically you can saturate an analogue tape, in the recording process meaning as it distorts, it distorts harmonically. That is how you get tape saturation, and that is why it sounds nice, also back when digital came out you got a lot of anti-aliasing and digital distorting, basically a clipping sound. I did Music Production for 3 years until I realised I didn't want to be sat in a dark studio getting Rickets, and that is what I learned.

Also my ex's dad worked for Denon and was invited on to the Gadget SHow on channel 5 to do a blind testing with  vinyl, mp3, and CD. The show's staff picked the Mp3 I think as best sounding!!!???

In fact I'll try find the clip.

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#55 2012-03-29 09:23:27

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

You'll have to put up with that bald twat of a presenter.

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/challenge/sound-challenge-part-3

''If I can't share my faith in Christ here, I'd just as soon not have to put up with people advocating drug use.''

#56 2012-03-29 11:49:40

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Okay, I understand the distortion bit......but if you check out Miles' 'Lift to the Scaffold' with the echo removed (which all the new reeditions are doing) it sounds so much better.

I cannot believe anyone would pick an MP3 sound over vinyl or CD. You can't fill a room with it, impossible to DJ and maybe that's why all the pubs are empty with those shitty MP3 players?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#57 2012-03-29 11:56:23

Oo Bop Sh'bam
Ivy Iconoclast

The treble sparkles to most people on mp3's and CDs because many of our ears are less responsive to high frequencies as we get older, it over compensates and we think it's sound is clearer. But really, if you listen to a lot of music on different playbacks it just sounds too glassy.

As for echo being removed, that isn't really much to do with the digital process, that's just a decision, it's just a different way of producing the mix without having the effect. Doesn't really matter that it is done digitally or not, if they did it via the masters on to vinyl it'd still sound good. It's just a different mix.

#58 2012-03-29 18:32:21

fxh
Big Down Under.

#59 2012-03-30 04:57:59

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I don't know, I'm just digging the groove these days, from jazz to rock and the electronic pop of Sheffield's finest: both of them.

Madness and Midnight Oil on the turntable tonight, followed by Japan. My kids love singing along to Life in Tokyo and The Height of The Fighting by Heaven 17.

#60 2012-03-30 05:51:03

fxh
Big Down Under.

That's the way. I wasn't picking a fight. Just wanting to stop you heading down a path spending on vinyl when it might be a decent amp or better speakers would make a difference , or changing to carefully produced digital.

Heard some great stuff over weekend on radio. guy  called joe Peterson and his Ragga muffins , sort of street African raggae covers of various stuff. All fun. Worked a treat for me. I'm trying to pick up the album now. I think the album is called Cape Town Streets.

I'm sure I mentioned the shit fights that occurred on rec.aus.music.hifi in the good old days of usenet are far far worse and serious thuan any I've ever seen on clothing forums. And all about tweeters, tubes amps, and especially wires effect on sound...... Threats of stalking charges, restraining orders, implied threats "my mates are all bikies etc",  harassing phones calls at 2am. Yup all on a nice hi if forum.

Last edited by fxh (2012-03-30 05:51:59)

#61 2012-03-30 06:56:51

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

I'm going to have a shower and a shave now, then I'm going to get dressed in my off-white Boss chino's, LVC pop-over, brown belt and brown Loake pennies, then choose something blunt and heavy from my toolbox. By which time, if the bloke downstairs hasn't turned off or down the digital produced House music that is getting right on my tits I'm going to bang on his door and tell him what I think of his digital crap in a direct and to the point manner.

#62 2012-03-30 07:21:44

fxh
Big Down Under.

#63 2012-03-30 08:14:10

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

#64 2012-03-30 08:19:56

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Maybe Hayfever. Give him the benefit of the doubt? You should have told him to 'turn down the digital or shit's gonna get analogue.' You would have to assume a Denzel Washington in Training Day type persona and accent to make it work though.

Last edited by Liam Mac (2012-03-30 08:53:07)

#65 2012-03-30 09:31:01

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I can't stand that same beat, that same goddamn electronic beat I've been hearing since 1989. Drives me nuts, the sound of ever increasing urban density. 'Effing 'orrible.

A mate of mine was forever buying bottles of good wine for his neighbours as an apology, for he was always getting stoned or MDMA'd-up and playing The Rock and Roll Circus at full pelt at 3am on Sunday morning. At least when I was there at the time, it was Beck's Sea Change.

Board footer