You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-04 14:33:33

kenperes

The Rough, the Stiff and the Hard

When perousing the other message boards I am constantly shocked at how the well known members poo-poo any fabric that may be soft, fine or luxurious.  You often read things such as "I will never have a cashmere sportcoat" or "super 80s are about as fine as I like" etc.  Wheat is the meaning behind all of this.  If you dress well to look good and be attractive to lovelies, why would you want to wear coarse, rough fabrics?  I understand that super 180s are expensive and fine, but there is no doubting the amazing hand of a well woven super 180.  Why would you not want to bathe in this luxury?

I put this question to the members: Are durability and tradition so important as to sacrifice the soft sensuality and good looks of the finest fabrics available?

#2 2006-04-04 15:10:46

Incroyable

Re: The Rough, the Stiff and the Hard

I've actually not seen this phenomenon as you describe with a lot of frequency.

However, I suspect, if it is true, that the people who deride the fine fabrics are those who yearn for the days of Gary Cooper, et al when heavy worsteds, etc. were the mainstay fabric of suits. Beyond the fact that the traditional wools tend to have a certain heft that drapes quite well.

Personally I'm not actually too fond of the newer fine fabrics as I find them too thin for my liking.

Last edited by Incroyable (2006-04-04 15:11:13)

Jukebox Babe

#3 2006-04-04 15:47:43

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Although ordinarily i would say that most who choose those heavier rougher fabrics are people who are emaciated, need hardness in their clothes to offset the softness in their bodies or have poor circulation, I cannot always maintain that.

There are people I know who love both.  I dont mind the occasional 13 oz dugdale worsted myself.

It is a matter, in my mind, to making the right choice for the right situation. Wool is neither good nor bad. there are situations where a 16 oz flannel or a 19 oz tweed is called for. Problem is, they arent called for in most big cities nowadays. If you go to an upscale restaurant in a rough, harris tweed suit, its a little odd, same as if you stroll the highlands in a zegna cashmere. Wool choices should be appropriate for both your lifestyle and your environment.

My lifestyle and environment ask for more modern and finer, softer fabrics. Also, my oft changing arm size conflicts, sometimes painfully with the sleeves of the harder, rougher materials.

#4 2006-04-04 16:02:22

padawan

I think that the objection to fabrics with thinner yarns comes about for two main reasons-

1. They are not as durable.  People want to be able to wear a 4K suit for longer than a couple of years if heavyish wear
2. They wrinkle a lot more than 80's or 100's

As to their being so pleasantly decadent, there isn't a huge amount of contact with your skin.

I think that there are certainly good arguments on both sides of the issue.

#5 2006-04-04 16:19:47

kenperes

#6 2006-04-04 16:23:27

Incroyable

If decadence is what you desire then perhaps something such as white camel hair, vicuna, silks, and various other obscure textiles should be fitting.

Jukebox Babe

#7 2006-04-04 16:50:17

padawan

Ken,

Agreed.  I thought you were urging the use of cashmere and supers exclusively.

#8 2006-04-04 18:34:08

Will

I think kenperes may be interpreting the other posters differently than they intended.

I personally do not conside a Super 80 or Super 100 cloth to be a "coarse, rough" fabric.  I am among those who have written that they are the backbone of my work wardrobe. I own cashmere jackets - I love cashmere jackets - but not to wear ten hours a day.

Super 180s have their place, but most will not argue that they wrinkle relatively easily, are relatively fragile and are relatively more difficult to tailor. For me, luxury cloths are for evenings and public appearances.

(This post was started half a day before it was completed and later posters have made the points I intended to make better than I.)

Last edited by Will (2006-04-04 18:35:56)

Will's thoughts on classic men's clothing
http://www.asuitablewardrobe.net/

#9 2006-04-04 20:34:30

passingtime

I find the Super 180's feel extremely soft and light, there is less resistance to movement in them. The other thing I noticed was that there wasn't as much wrinkling as I had feared, it compares favourably with tropical weight wools. In fairness I have to note that I wear this in the evening rather than for work. I favour somewhere between a 9 and 11oz cloth cloth for working clothes at something less than a Super 120.

I must confess that I chose cloth according to what it looks like and how the tailor says it will make up. I am not so concerned about longevity which lets me off the hook in some respects - three years hard use will do me fine. I don't have a huge number of suits and I have a bad tendency of overusing ones I like.

#10 2006-04-05 13:20:42

Hermes

I've got to say that I think that a good quality 12/13 oz super80's cloth feels nice to the touch and tailors well. There is a reason why the Savile Row guys like to work with this stuff. Added to that, it wears well and won't crease so easily, as noted above. The sentiment that it's worn by thin & "soft" people is tripe. Still, the super 120's/150's and cashmere blends/pure cashmeres have their place.

#11 2006-04-05 14:10:45

Hermes

That's why I'm stockpiling the good stuff now.

Many tailors are happy to plug the superfine cloth so that can earn more money off the mark-up. Plus it gives them cache in the eyes of those who want "true luxury". Count me out of such thinking.

#12 2006-04-05 15:17:29

Hermes

Marc, your bomb shelter analogy is apt: the war on super 80's cloth has begun. I highly recommend stockpiling. This will enable you to select cloth in the comfort of your own home. In my opinion, the best way to select cloth is at your leisure - rather than at the tailor’s. And if a tailor won't accept a customer's own cloth, then it speaks volumes about the tailor.

I recommend that you try sourcing your own cloth. Only I warn you that there’s no going back.

#13 2006-04-06 07:05:58

manicturncoat

#14 2006-04-06 22:03:00

maximus

Super 180s wardrobes are for Saudi princes.

I shall commission a suit:

So let it Bespoken
So let it be done!

#15 2006-04-08 05:51:19

Horace

Like some others here, I'm put off by the "Super" fabrics.

I really like the heavy worsted and flannels.  Though I just discovered today that one of my favorite suits which is probably 14-15 ozs (maybe more) is made from Hield West of England Flannel 120.  Don't know if it's "Super" or not.

Anyway -- I like the drape and feel of the heavy fabrics.

And I share (and thought pretty good) the editorial on the "old" fabrics that appeared on LL.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

Board footer