You are not logged in.

#226 2019-04-16 06:07:02

Chief Brody

Re: Ivy League watch for today...?

#227 2019-04-16 08:19:57

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#228 2019-04-16 12:05:11

Chief Brody

Thanks Berks. I like this one a lot.
It’s a good Looking homage.

#229 2020-05-21 13:11:26

Leer R.

Last edited by Leer R. (2020-05-21 13:12:36)

#230 2020-05-21 13:16:29

Leer R.

#231 2020-05-21 13:16:59

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#232 2020-05-21 17:37:07

mikey

#233 2020-05-22 11:36:15

stanshall

Longines diver watch is spectacular Leer!

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#234 2020-05-22 13:41:03

Leer R.

Thank you very much. I was after a watch like this for a really long time. And I still cannot believe my family did it make happen as it was (still is) much too expensive for me. But now I am really happy and keep it like a treasure... I do think it is spectacular and grandiose...

#235 2022-03-12 14:36:40

DuluthandBackAgain

Let's be honest here. If you can't afford Rolex, buy Seiko. Inb4 the naysayers who proclaims how vulgar Rolex is, they (the naysayers) are the dating worlds equivalent to the guy who "respect women" but never gets laid.

Is that a popped collar or are you just happy to see me?

#236 2022-03-14 15:47:12

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Watches - one of those things some people get really excited about that just leave me cold. Sure I can appreciate the craftmanship that goes into a quality watch, Mrs W recently acquired a Grand Seiko, they are bit like what Lexus are to Toyota … a luxury brand division of the company. I have to admit that it feels nice when you pick it up and I can see that there would be pleasure in wearing it, in much the same way that I enjoy fondling and wearing my Alden loafers, but would I want one? No … let alone pay out the sort of sums that are paid for Rolexes. So many people where I live seem to be wearing them that I tend to think that the brand’s cache has been somewhat devalued. Certainly wearing one doesn’t seem to imbue the wearer with style or class, not in my eyes anyway. It seems to be a form of attention seeking and can attract the wrong sort of attention as there are muggers who can spot a Submariner at fifty paces. I have an old Eterna automatic that does me fine, it only has  a 34mm dial which is about as big as I like to go with my thin wrists. Just like cars watches have got bigger and bigger in recent years, 44mm seems to quite typical, some are bigger. Like wearing Big Ben on your wrist and verging on impractical in my opinion.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#237 2022-03-14 16:00:13

AFS

I agree with Woof.  My late father owned two watches in his adult life, both Rolex.  He was given the first when he was twenty one.  It was very understated but damaged.  I had it repaired for £50 and wore it for several years.  The second struck me as pure bling.  I tried it on and it looked absurd.  We put it on Ebay and my elder daughter bought a horse with the money it fetched.  Finally we sold the second and it paid for a new boiler.  I now happily wear a £25 watch with a peeling strap that never quite keeps time. 
The old man never wore his Rolex when walking round NYC, though.  He left it at home and wore something cheap.

#238 2022-03-14 17:06:38

Runninggeez

Rolex are being very clever, there are waiting lists of up to 2 years for Submariners, GMT Masters & Sea Dwellers and as for Daytona's forget it. On the second hand market they're fetching silly money (a bit like 2nd hand cars are). I have a very understated Datejust which is 17 years old and never let me down, I've been an admirer of the brand for over 40 years and always wanted one. So when I decided to take voluntary redundancy I blew a small portion of the money on one. I looked at it this way, 21 years of blood, sweat and tears for a job I ended up hating.

#239 2022-03-15 00:19:27

RobbieB

For years l noticed people stopped wearing a watch and used a phone to see the time. Then the smartwatch came along and that became a kind of status symbol. Personally I buy cheap 40mm Timex expedition watches that I don't worry about damaging doing forestry work etc.I buy about one every year. Most, but not all, expensive watches I tend to view as vulgar status symbols that I see Russians wearing. Not for me

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#240 2022-03-15 03:03:59

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Wearing a luxury brand watch that you were given for your 21st, bought to mark some life event or previously belonged to your dad is quite different to the majority which are being bought as a display of wealth (or good credit rating). Often it doesn’t stop at one such watch either. A chap we knew went down this road and declared himself to be ‘into watches’; before long he had half a dozen Rolexes and Tudors and had to buy a little machine to keep them all wound up. All of this was quite out of keeping with the way he dressed and the rest of his lifestyle. It was as though each time he got another one he was trying to recreate the buzz he got when he bought his first expensive watch, an Omega which was quietly abandoned when the first Rolex appeared.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#241 2022-03-15 03:23:17

RobbieB

I inherited my grandfather's watch that he got as a retirement present. It was a cheap watch and I think the company was sending him a 'message'.
My grandfather was a rogue who sued the company (and won) on a couple of occasions. He did get an improvement in men's working conditions so perhaps he wasn't all bad.

#242 2022-03-15 03:56:27

Runninggeez

You're most likely to see vulgar Russians wearing Richard Mille.

#243 2022-03-15 04:10:54

RobbieB

Yes I will keep an eye out for Richard Mille watches but I don't quite move in those circles.

Board footer