You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » "And I Don't Believe You Really Like Frank Sin-attrraa..."

#51 2022-03-16 03:30:14

Runninggeez

Re: "And I Don't Believe You Really Like Frank Sin-attrraa..."

Thought I'd have a quick listen to the disco version for the first time. It is by far, one of the worse records I've heard in a sometime. I didn't know it even existed.

#52 2022-03-16 04:06:36

Staxfan

And did anyone ever see any of those TV clips of Frank in the late '60's when he was trying to ' get-down-with-the-kids' with his clothes ? In one he was singing with the 5th Dimension, lots of frills and funny suits, Austin Powers style,

#53 2022-03-16 07:14:07

Kingston1an

I am reminded of a Mike Reid joke.

A young man in a night club is desperate to impress his girl friend. He asks Frank Sinatra to approach them during his act and greet him by name.

Sinatra is very reluctant. The young man is persistent. Frank relents and agrees to his request.

After a few songs, Sinatra strolls over and says ‘Hello George, how are you tonight?’

The young man looks up and replies :-

“Not now Frank. I’m with a bird!

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#54 2022-03-16 07:28:55

Ematt

That was a Don Rickles gag.

#55 2022-03-16 08:02:30

Spendthrift

Sinatra works best for me when I suspend all that Vegas/Rat Pack/Mafia obsessed stuff. If I can just listen to one of his studio albums, say, Sings For Only The Lonely, and appreciate it purely for the vocals and arrangements, it's great stuff.

I wouldn't care if I never heard again anything that would be on a Greatest Hits type job.

Also, I don't get the hero worship. There's been enough memoirs and biographies now for anybody to realise that he was at the very least a deeply unlikeable man.

#56 2022-03-16 08:09:08

AFS

^ Never a truer word spoken. 
Mind you, I was reading about Bogart the other day.  Comes across as a snob, a bully and thoroughly disagreeable to anyone who failed to share his rather smug political opinions, like Ginger Rogers.  I was once a great fan, too.
Nice to read that Sid Luft almost smashed his teeth down his throat.

#57 2022-03-16 08:10:40

AFS

Weren't that odious lot 'The Clan', as opposed to the Bogart/Bacall (yawn), Garland, Niven 'Rat Pack'?

#58 2022-03-16 08:29:34

Spendthrift

I always thought it was the same ‘gang’? Just Bogart etc started it and Sinatra etc ran with it a bit later on?

#59 2022-03-16 08:42:14

AFS

Could be; certainly.

#60 2022-03-16 08:48:43

AFS

I seem to recall Staceyboy mentioning the fact that Joey Bishop was generally overlooked from the later incarnation.
Peter Lawford comes across as a pretty odious piece of work. 
Has anyone suffered in silence through one of their self-indulgent movies?

#61 2022-03-16 09:40:39

Spendthrift

Oceans Eleven I remember making an effort to watch. Didn’t do a lot for me.

It’s difficult to enjoy anything Rat Pack related without being very aware of how badly Sammy Davis Jnr is treated. Not least by himself. Like a little kid desperate to join the gang of bigger boys who are bullying him.

I believe they were always very decent and protective of him in private. In public they all (including SDJ) felt the need to fall in behind the wider attitude of the day. As a coloured jew, married to a white woman he was a pretty easy target.

#62 2022-03-16 10:01:27

Yuca

King Pleasure is probably my favourite male jazz singer. Witherspoon I love but I class him as blues.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#63 2022-03-16 10:05:51

Runninggeez

One thing you can say about him he was a supporter of the Civil Rights movement.
During the 50's he was back on top and wielded enormous power in the entertainment industry, he began to insist that members of his orchestras that backed him live and also in the studio were integrated.

Last edited by Runninggeez (2022-03-16 10:07:15)

#64 2022-03-16 10:08:09

Yuca

Tbh I've never even bothered to read up on him. It's not that I dislike him, but rather neither his music nor his films have ever remotely caught my attention.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#65 2022-03-16 10:27:56

AFS

With reference to those dreadful movies and some of Frank's more cringe-making stunts, it was perhaps a bit like the way The Beatles soon went about their business (or Ralph Lauren), i.e. we've got the bloody fools eating out of the palms of our hands therefore they'll suck up any old shit we put under their silly noses.  A quick viewing of 'Help' will confirm this, let alone the self-indulgent drivel of 'Yellow Submarine' and 'Give My Regards...'  It must be very tempting.  Cash in the bank.  Look - in a slightly different context - at the thousands of sweaty, hairy twats who surrounded me at Knebworth in August 1976: all still imagining Mick and Keef were real roots rock rebels rather than the lead actors in a corporate hustle.  At least, with Louis Armstrong and his shtick, we knew what the old boy was about.

#66 2022-03-16 10:29:10

AFS

Then there's John Lydon and his butter advert: probably his finest, funniest moment.

#67 2022-03-16 10:33:12

AFS

Not to mention Gordon Brown, grinning and gurning like mad on YouTube.  Who needs 'Spitting Image' when most of these people are already beyond parody?

#68 2022-03-22 06:05:28

AFS

'The Formative Years': Tommy Dorsey, Harry James, Axel Stordahl.  The wistfulness and desire of the alpha male - all the more exciting when you imagine the chick may have looked like Rita Hayworth or Grace Kelly.  Twenty four tracks of pure joy.

#69 2022-03-22 17:13:06

AlveySinger

AFS
Am I right in thinking you are referring to the Avid Compilation. If so there is another Sinatra comp they did called Early Years that I highly recommend.

Also look out for Glen Millar Lost tapes just for the majestic vocals of Johnny Desmond. Possibly the most underrated?unknown singer ever. His version of The Music Stopped is exceptional

#70 2022-03-23 01:19:05

AFS

Alvey, yes, the Avid compilation.  I'll certainly look out for the other.
Johnny Desmond is a name I don't know.  I'll check him out.
A long session yesterday: Basie, Sinatra, Blossom, Miles, Lambert, Hendricks and Ross.

#71 2022-04-12 08:24:04

AFS

How to separate the man from his music.  Impossible? 
Alec Wilder - who was evidently no fool - must have held Francis in high regard.
But maybe Francis didn't threaten Wilder or try slapping him around.
Or maybe I should try reading a more objective biography.

#72 2022-04-12 09:20:51

AFS

This is the biography by Taraborrelli.  Alvey will doubtless know it.

As Dorothy Parker is alleged to have said, This is not a book to be put down lightly.  It is a book to be hurled across the room with great force.

#73 2022-04-14 04:58:51

AFS

Just reading, in McBrien's superb biography of Cole Porter, that Cole chided Sinatra for failing to sing 'I've Got You Under My Skin' the way it was written.

I should like to have been a fly on the wall during that particular exchange.

#74 2022-05-19 11:22:11

AFS

Did Frank really dislike 'My Way' as much as I do?

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » "And I Don't Believe You Really Like Frank Sin-attrraa..."

Board footer