You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

#451 2018-06-11 09:55:08

Thee Captain

Re: What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

Sean Khan - Palmares Fantasy (feat. Hermeto Pascoal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYerQP0sl6Y

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#452 2018-06-17 08:28:09

Babbling Brooks

This kid Philipp Gerschlaue  is a lunatic.. he and his band have developed a microtonal approach to jazz that to my ear is quite exciting...here they are with a track mikrosteps

https://open.spotify.com/track/08TGs4NB20iOEwICLAUrmp?si=UNRNpfNLS-eimhgctfvk-A

I feel like this is our generation's ornette coleman

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2018-06-17 08:29:11)

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere.

#453 2018-06-17 09:16:54

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#454 2018-06-17 09:22:39

Berkeley_Breathes

Jeez, I wrote way too much about this.

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#455 2018-06-17 10:41:07

Babbling Brooks

The only place for western music to go by way of experimentation is away from equal temperament, players and composer are interested in the sounds that were long out the reach for musicians of fixed note instruments especially in ensembles because technology like Gerschlaue says has caught up. People have always used microtones, the voice naturally wants to hit the correct harmonics, and anyone playing an instrument without fixed notes isnt limited, but as music moves through key centres most instruments like pianos cant allow for the nuisances of an untempered scale, which is why we have 12 tempered notes as a compromise as you probably well know, and that restricts the harmonies that can be forged.

Where this guy is taking things is in a theoretical way, but fortunately enough for us caring equally about the artistry of it. I personally think it is as important as the work of Bird, Miles/Russell, Trane, Coleman, this isnt just playing outside, this is playing outside and then some. This is a next step that no one has taken in this manner, I dont know if you play or have a theoretical knowledge of music, but this is next level in terms of harmonic composistion, this guy is using 128 notes in the octave to allow for the precision of hitting the right notes for the key centres, thats insane. Exciting stuff...without being emperors new clothes, this music is truer to the mathematical underpinnings of the harmonic series.

It may sound alien but in the same way as hearing a new language for the first time...incredible stuff

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2018-06-17 10:42:35)

#456 2018-06-17 11:10:37

Berkeley_Breathes

#457 2018-06-17 11:31:53

Babbling Brooks

He's not just reshaping jazz, he's reshaping music, I don't think you recognise the significance of this to be honest, maybe as a non-player and not being a theorist you dont quite understand what he has achieved, it might take a while for the critics to catch up.

This guy is the real deal, he's just opened a door with this album that now is way beyond not only a way out field but he's just gone way out on that.. the reason DeJohnette gives in this vid really show the recognition to this guys work.

If the issue is because of the comparison to Coleman for reasons larger than the theory of the music or impact fair enough, how could I begin to comment on 'the scene'... I'll leave that to people who put that before the content

https://youtu.be/RMI_mVB95WQ

#458 2018-06-17 11:43:25

Babbling Brooks

Mikadze does a good job of explaining it too

https://youtu.be/sMYhTxwj6BA

I dont want to over stress things... but this is a landmark record

#459 2018-06-17 11:48:23

Babbling Brooks

Garrison's face says it all... incredible

https://youtu.be/yj2O8axzLUE

#460 2018-06-17 11:56:09

Berkeley_Breathes

#461 2018-06-17 12:00:40

Berkeley_Breathes

I am saying that the landscape of jazz has changed. It's a landmark record within one framework, yet it might not have any effect on music in another area of what "jazz" is considered to be. That's not because it's not worthy of being a landmark, just that records and musicians are not able to have as wide and deep an impact across as much of jazz as a single genre as they used to - jazz is more broken into niche sounds and fragments than it was, which means a single player can't have as wide an influence. I'm not saying that it doesn't deserve that, or that it doesn't matter as a result. Just thinking out loud about it because what you're saying brought up the idea, and I think it's an interesting correlated train of thought. In the past, someone like this might have impacted the playing of a vast majority of musicians, as you saw with a John Coltrane or even an Ornette. I just don't see jazz feeling that same level of effect anymore. It doesn't mean that it couldn't do that, just that the current structure of jazz as a genre doesn't support that. It's got nothing to do with me assigning any worth or value to the music, it's a separate point. You may have gotten confused about that, or I may not have explained it well enough.

#462 2018-06-17 12:49:58

Babbling Brooks

I hear that you are saying the scene has changed far too much in order to create a similar size impact with a new approach, the world of music is vastly different now in many ways, in terms of business and how we consume music, to how quickly people can share ideas, thats even before you look at jazz as a genre.

I questioned your understanding because you said microtonal music is nothing new, where I assumed if you knew the concepts here youd know that it was revolutionary enough not to be undermined by that or reflect negatively against the guys work not breaking new ground during the last decade as he has worked towards this, this is the next hundred years right here imo, this is the stepping stone from the 20th century to the 21st..ok lets meet up in 50 years to see if I was right, but this album really is something else, but like you said you dont disagree with that, just the level of its impact..i feel as though it opens so much possibility and scope that it will be, but then maybe I shouldnt be talking in absolute certainty, Ill put my hands up to that, as a player and a writer of music I feel like this refreshes things to the point of being an evolutionary step

#463 2018-06-17 13:11:45

Berkeley_Breathes

#464 2018-06-17 14:43:16

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#465 2018-06-18 12:16:59

stanshall

Wes Montgomery - Caravan (1964)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkfiQsq8cwE

#466 2018-06-20 02:08:31

Babbling Brooks

#467 2018-09-13 16:05:07

Berkeley_Breathes

Keith Jarrett, "Ballad of the Sad Young Men"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iki33SaUss

#468 2019-01-26 12:53:50

Berkeley_Breathes

#469 2019-01-26 18:37:25

YoungIvy

Bill Frisell with Ron Carter and Paul Motian - Worse and Worse

https://youtu.be/wPHbneD0_uE

#470 2019-01-26 18:50:16

Berkeley_Breathes

#471 2019-02-15 03:19:03

RandyLuvsPaiste

King Crimson -Lark's Tongue in Aspic.

Take my advice- I'm not using it.

#472 2019-02-15 05:11:28

Patrick

The Atomic Count Basie

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#473 2019-02-15 09:17:47

stanshall

#474 2019-02-15 12:53:01

RandyLuvsPaiste

Take my advice- I'm not using it.

#475 2019-02-15 13:23:36

stanshall

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

Board footer