You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

#501 2022-05-02 03:47:57

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

Good to hear Alvey - In my limited jazz experience Simon Spillet’s was one of the most enjoyable gigs we’ve been to, he has a great stage presence and puts a lot of energy into his performance. The other band members were great as well, particularly the drummer Pete Cater, a fantastic performer in his own right who for me exemplified the part the drummer plays in holding a jazz band together.

It was the same story at the Bulls Head, where despite its proximity to central London there were only about 20 people in the audience on a Saturday night, most of them being in their 60s or older. £16 a ticket, so total receipts a little over three hundred quid and Jazz audiences don’t exactly drink the pub dry, in fact 2 or 3 just had cups of tea!. Putting these acts on has to be a loss making activity and you wonder how much longer it can continue.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#502 2022-05-03 07:02:30

AlveySinger

Woof,
You're a lucky man to see Clark Terry as well. He's really talented.

#503 2022-05-03 07:48:51

AFS

A good session today.

Blossom Dearie, Live At Ronnie Scott's
A feast of piano, including Earl Hines and Art Tatum
Beverly Kenney (lovely version of 'For All We Know')
Finishing off with six tracks from Coleman Hawkins

#504 2022-05-04 17:04:36

AlveySinger

Nice mix AFS.
I haven't got much Hawkins. I bought one of his albums as Humph played Love Theme From Spartucus one Monday evening.
I used to love him reading out the label, serial numbers and personnel. It all felt serious and grown up to a spotty Soul Boy from Brum.

#505 2022-05-05 00:14:00

AFS

Humph was wonderful: that rather plummy upper-class voice: the mark of the true leftie of his time.  'Best Of Jazz', around nine on a Monday evening.  Then, during the period when my father and I were again living together, end of '83 until '87, when I left home to get married for the first time, Peter Clayton's 'Jazz Record Requests' would be on while he put the finishing touches to roast chicken or whatever.  I think 'Desert Island Discs' followed - with dear old Roy - the very first time I heard Blossom Dearie - 1984.  Later on in the evening the old man might disappear off to play his favourites.  Ella, Peggy Lee, Sassie. 
Anyone who has disregarded The Hawk, Lester or Ben Webster in favour of the beboppers who followed Bird should rectify that immediately.

#506 2022-05-10 10:08:10

AFS

Today: Bobby Short Sings Rodgers And Hart - Connee Boswell - Miles 'Kind Of Blue'.

#507 2022-05-10 13:16:58

AlveySinger

Bobby Shorts version of Manhattan remains the best male vocal version.

#508 2022-05-11 04:49:38

AFS

Beverly Kenney singing 'For All We Know' - at least every other day.  She did not have a powerful voice like Lady Day but instead sounded melancholy and wistful.  She died young, by her own hand. 

The Carlyle audience were said to be often noisy and inattentive.

#509 2022-05-12 04:19:36

AFS

Somewhere here - somewhere - Jeremy Steig is mentioned.  Where oh where can he be?
Never mind.  I've just read a fascinating interview with him, conducted by Whitney Balliett at Steig's apartment in the Village, probably circa 1965.  He'd just been playing alongside Bill Evans.  Poor chap had had a motorcycle accident which had damaged his face, so playing the flute was difficult and probably painful.  But he was determined.

I must investigate further.

#510 2022-05-13 05:50:31

AFS

Listening to Jimmy Rowles 'In Paris' transports me instantly back to childhood, to hearing 'The Flat Foot Floogie' when I was about nine or ten (circa 1968/69).  A novelty number, I'd guess you'd call it, but very much the playful side of jazz.

#511 2022-05-18 05:34:54

AFS

This morning: Harold Land with Dupree Bolton
Jackie Cain and Roy Kral - 'Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most'.  A lovely female voice.
Dave Frishberg with Al Cohn and Bob Brookmeyer - 'You're A Lucky Guy'

#512 2022-05-22 02:56:59

AFS

After an interminable amount of time playing the senile old git to my grandson, I'm looking forward to renewing my acquaintance with jazz piano late afternoon.  Dave McKenna, I fancy, or even Cecil Taylor, who I find surprisingly invigorating.

#513 2022-05-22 02:58:56

AFS

Said grandson is now farting about with his 'tablet', making noises Shooey would describe as inane.
The joys of family life.  Some seek grandchildren, others have grandchildren thrust upon them.
Wives are no help at all.

#514 2022-05-22 15:36:21

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Another opportunity to see the Simon Spillet Quartet play, this time at Pizza Express Soho. If you’ve never been it’s a great venue, basement level like all the best jazz clubs, small enough to feel involved with the artists but large enough to have an atmosphere. Plus it’s in Dean Street in the heart of Soho. You’re not obliged to eat one of their slightly disappointing pizzas, but we normally have something to support them in putting on the quality acts that they put on.
I deployed in a navy blue JS linen suit, JS long sleeve madras worn open necked and dirty bucks sockless.

John Simons

#515 2022-05-23 04:13:10

AFS

I have a stack of stuff ready and waiting: Bill Evans, Jelly Roll Morton, Al Cohn, Bloss, Ella with Tommy Flanagan.

#516 2022-05-23 08:17:24

Staxfan

Sky Arts Wednesday at 9 PM - a documentary about the early days of the London R&B scene at the Ealing Jazz Club in the early sixties, not jazz of course but I'm sure some of the early footage will show some jazzing and probably some shots of a young Charlie Watts, maybe even a clip of Chris Hardy who I believe frequented EJC !, (new to me but I don't think this is the first showing of the documentary, maybe some have seen it before),

#517 2022-05-23 09:06:05

AFS

I had a nice 'mouldy fygge' session, taking me straight back to my childhood/youth when I would hear my father digging tracks like 'The Chant' by Jelly Roll Morton.  My father was open-minded about jazz but his heart was always in New Orleans rather than NYC or Chicago.  For saying he was born to rather dour parents in a tough mining/textile town I think that was good going.

#518 2022-05-23 14:00:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Thanks for the tip Staxfan.

…. and don’t forget, for those who have London Live on their Freeview, ‘John Simons a Modernist’ is showing at 9pm tomorrow Wed 24 May.

John Simons

#519 2022-05-23 16:23:27

AlveySinger

Vic Lewis Bossa stuff with Tubby Hayes.

Morrissey Mullen Happy hour

#520 2022-05-27 21:52:40

AlveySinger

Georgie Fame Poet In New York.

Just a superb bunch of songs played by first rate musicians.

#521 2022-05-28 10:06:22

AFS

I fully intend to go a bit 'mouldy fygge' any time soon, after enjoying Jelly Roll Morton mid-week.  I must have heard 'The Chant' crashing from our dismal front room dozens of times.

#522 2022-05-29 00:40:53

AFS

I'm also just about to give Ellyn Rucker a try.  I believe she died very, very recently.

#523 2022-05-31 11:22:19

AFS

Bill Evans with Le Faro and Motian, Live At The Village Vanguard.  Great set but it sounds as though about a dozen people were in the audience.  There is not, on the other hand, any irritating chatter and clinking of glasses.  Keepnews, in his liner notes, describes Evans as 'diffident'.  Played all the better for it, I think.

#524 2022-05-31 11:37:04

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I don’t suppose there’s much more than a dozen tables in the Vanguard. When we went a few years ago I was surprised how small it was, it had a very genuine feel to it. Birdland on the other hand was much larger and somewhat disappointing as it had all the appearance of a tourist trap - which we fell into!

John Simons

#525 2022-05-31 11:40:44

AFS

I'm wondering if it was the Vanguard where my old Dad saw Marion McPartland.  Was the Village Gate still going in the 80s and 90s?

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

Board footer