You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

#576 2022-10-14 09:45:09

AlveySinger

Re: What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

A bit of Nu-Jazz to wake up retired dancing feet.

Bahama Soul Club with Billie Holliday Ain't Nobody's Business.

I think this is what ny teenage daughter would refer to as a banger

#577 2022-10-14 10:00:42

Dulouz

Hoagy Carmichael with the Pacific Jazzman.

#578 2022-10-17 05:15:29

AlveySinger

Dulouz,

Ian Fleming was once asked who he had based James Bond's looks on.

He replied Hoagy Carmichael.

#579 2022-10-18 10:26:01

Dulouz

^Didn't know that. Interesting.

There was always something mid-Atlantic in Fleming's Bond.

#580 2022-11-08 10:02:23

AlveySinger

Jeanine by Lonnie Smith.

Just when I thought I'd heard all the versions of this dance floor fave out comes a lovely organ version.

Just got a compilation featuring it called Diggin Deeper 5

#581 2022-11-08 11:40:13

An Unseen Scene

Surya Botofasina new album. Check it via Bandcamp.
It is In A Silent Way, early Harold Budd, Alice Coltrane style somewhere between Jazz and Ambient.

Very well done.

#582 2022-11-29 12:24:01

FlatSixC

For those who can receive the London Live TV channel the documentary ‘A Man in a Hurry’ about the life of Tubby Hayes is being broadcast at 02:05 and 03:40 on 01 December.

London Live is on Freeview 8, Sky 117 & Virgin 159.

#583 2022-11-30 01:25:48

Staxfan

Thanks for the tip off FSC, I’ll set up to record, I believe the guys who made it were the same guys who made the JS Modernist film, I’m sure others would know better than me,

#584 2022-11-30 03:35:27

Spendthrift

Yes it's the same guys. And does feature a lot of their usual talking head suspects. All the characters that drove old AFS mad.

But A man in a Hurry is great. I'm not a huge jazz fan (although I've always had a soft spot for Tubby) and I really enjoyed it. Interesting to see the focus switch to a British angle for a change. And the footage of the time from Soho etc. is really good.

One thing it highlights very well is the way the jazz guys either couldn't or wouldn't register the incoming tsunami of pop music.

I'm not spoiling anything by saying it's not a happy story, but you'll enjoy it Stax.

#585 2022-11-30 03:49:20

FlatSixC

On 01 December the JS docu is on at 02:25, followed by Tubby Hayes at 03:40.

#586 2022-11-30 04:45:29

Staxfan

Thanks Spendthrift, interesting point re the jazzers rejection of pop music, JS was the same from odd comments I've read or heard over the years,

#587 2022-11-30 10:18:42

Spendthrift

Stax, I think a lot of them rejected pop music to the point that they couldn’t see that it was going to take their living away.
I don’t think they should be blamed or seen as being blinkered in any way. People forget that there was a lot of discussion around that time as to how long the pop music craze would last. I don’t think anyone then would have put their money on sixty years!

#588 2022-11-30 11:50:44

Staxfan

Just set up to record the TH film,and it’s actually on at 02:05 on Friday 02-Dec, it might have changed , I think that can happen on London live, a few months back I set up to record ‘ The Long Firm’, ( based on the Jake Arnott book), 2 episodes recorded,don’t know what happened to the third one ....
Spendthrift- yep agree with your comments, I think a lot of the early popsters didn’t believe their careers would last more than 18 months, I recall something I read years ago that Macartney thought he’d be writing film scores by the time he was 30, but I do think there was some ‘sniffiness ‘ on the part of the jazzers just like we can be with Ivy clobber if you get what I mean , haha,

#589 2022-12-01 10:36:30

RobbieB

Staying off topic, Stax you mentioned Jake Arnott and 'the Long Firm'. About 20 years ago I bought his trilogy of books including True Crime and He Kills Coppers. I've just checked and the books survived the cull after a downsizing excise  10 years ago. I got rid of hundreds of novels which I now regret but I hardly read these days. Missus keeps on at me to read more so perhaps I will re read Jake Arnott. I did see the film production of the Long Firm.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#590 2022-12-01 11:34:40

Staxfan

Robbie- I think I’ve read most of JA’s books including the ones you’ve mentioned although I’m usually just a holiday reader, the TV series of the Long Firm was very good I thought,

#591 2022-12-05 19:56:00

Dulouz

''One thing it highlights very well is the way the jazz guys either couldn't or wouldn't register the incoming tsunami of pop music.''

It was a big bang and the zeitgest that was jazz was no more. But within jazz you had the battle between the modernists and the moldy figs, as played out in university campuses in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

You have the beginning of the death of the big band too at the end of WWII and the rise of the small combo, including bebop. By the mid-fifties, with some exceptions, the era of the big bands was over.

Currently reading 1966: The Year the Decade Exploded by Jon Savage, certainly by then, jazz as a youth culture in the UK was effectively over. But I understand that in France and other places on the continent, jazz was still hip.

#592 2022-12-06 07:17:32

AlveySinger

I'm currently listening to a few Duke Pearson albums.

Not as well known as other pianists on the Blue Note rooster but, as many on here will know, he wrote number of masterpieces including Idle Moments and Jeanine.

He was also their A&R manager for some years.

Whilst not a big improviser he manages to create beautiful melodies that are very catchy.

I first came across him on the compilation Blue Bossa. His track Sandalia Dela is one of many fine tracks on the album.

#593 2022-12-06 08:32:51

Runninggeez

His track Sandalia Dela is one of many fine tracks on the album.

Wonderful track with Flora Purim's lovely vocals.

This time of year I chuck on his Merry Ole Soul album.

I also bought the Blue Bossa album, from Gerry Potters Music store which was a few doors up from the old Richmond Ivy Shop. Ivy League & Jazz almost next door to each other.

Last edited by Runninggeez (2022-12-06 08:38:03)

#594 2022-12-07 09:26:52

AlveySinger

Ella - Swinging Christmas
Tony Bennett and Basie - A Swinging Christmas
Diana Krall - Christmas Songs
Christmas with the rat pack
Sinatra A Christmas Album - Capitol ( Not to be confused with the awful Sinatra Family album)
Ralph Lauren Holiday Collection

Yes, it's that time of year....

#595 2022-12-08 04:50:28

RobbieB

Alvey- That's an interesting list and matches what me and the missus used to listen to in the week run up to Christmas. I checked out the RL Holiday collection and it appears identical to a CD I purchased once from the Sunday Times.
Missus sat next to Tony Bennett on an internal flight in Canada about 1993 when TBs career was going through a low. She became a fan soon afterwards.
My dad was a bit of a singer in his youth and he was a fan of Sinatra so we used to have a few of his records.
In recent years I've listened more to Christmas carols but we will have to revert back to our old listening habits.

#596 2022-12-12 05:07:04

AlveySinger

RobbieB,

I am big fan of TB and have a number of his albums. Sadly Columbia recorded lots of his albums with a strange echo affect.

His later albums from 86 - The art of Excellence - onwards to Duets are very good and the echo is taken off.

I've watched him perform a number of times in Birmingham and London. He had a great voice but no stage craft or presence what so ever.

#597 2022-12-12 11:05:00

RobbieB

AlveySinger,

I actually bought my wife a CD box set of TB recordings maybe 25 years ago and I seem to remember I was a bit surprised at the quality of the recordings. They didn't seem to be up to scratch. I didn't know about the Columbia recordings having the echo effect. When I am back in UK I will have to dig out the CDs and listen to them again.
We never saw him live but I get the lack of stage craft or presence.

#598 2022-12-12 16:39:24

Kennedy

Just in from watching the Nimbus Sextet, a young Glasgow jazz band with records released on Acid Jazz.

Was wearing Lean Garments BD, Uniqlo cardigan, John Simons golf jacket, Levi stapress cords and Sanders DBs.

#599 2022-12-13 20:34:35

Dulouz

Always rated the two TB albums he did with Bill Evans. Also, If I Ruled the World: Songs for the Jet Set.

An old mucca of mine, use to explain that everyone thinks the crooner Johnny Fontane in The Godfather is based on Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin, it is infact, TB.

#600 2022-12-14 10:02:32

AlveySinger

Dulouz,

Interesting. I always associated Johnny Fortune with Sinatra wanting the role in from Here To Eternity.

The character was played by Al Martino - a singer I have never enjoyed

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » What Jazz are you listening too? or WJAYLT for short.

Board footer