You are not logged in.

#51 2012-12-13 08:54:11

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Re: In Praise of Prints

I've no idea what that means.

"You've gotta get up close like this and - bada-BING! - you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit."

suits/jackets 36/37S. waist 29-30. shirts 14.5/15 32.

#52 2012-12-13 08:57:25

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

fixed!

Liam Mac wrote:

I find a nice medallion does this well.

http://7reasons.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/medallion-man-251x300.jpg

#53 2012-12-13 09:00:16

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Liam Mac wrote:

Divvy is a div = moron

“My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.”

#54 2012-12-13 09:05:19

Sammy Ambrose

Armchaired wrote:

Liam Mac wrote:

Divvy is a div = moron

It CAN  have that meaning.

But in the 60s it meant someone who wasn't 'in'.

But the printed  shirts might also bring the wearer  into that territory too. I remember 70s sitcoms with witless youths who dressed like that.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#55 2012-12-13 09:08:55

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Sammy Ambrose wrote:

Armchaired wrote:

Liam Mac wrote:

Divvy is a div = moron

It CAN  have that meaning.

But in the 60s it meant someone who wasn't 'in'.

But the printed  shirts might also bring the wearer  into that territory too. I remember 70s sitcoms with witless youths who dressed like that.

Maybe Moron is too strong , i would say Half wit is more accurate (not much more flattering really).

“My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.”

#56 2012-12-13 09:09:35

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Your disapproval is a seal of approval Sammy. Thank you for taking the time.

"You've gotta get up close like this and - bada-BING! - you blow their brains all over your nice Ivy League suit."

#57 2012-12-13 09:14:31

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Moose Maclennan wrote:

fixed!

Liam Mac wrote:

I find a nice medallion does this well.

http://7reasons.org/wp-content/uploads/ … 51x300.jpg

I'm sure there are forums discussing this style somewhere on the interwebs. It's certainly a bold look. But it's not for Divvys, eh Sammy?

On the subject of Deerslayers, they've really grown on me. I'm glad the Woolster gave them a chance and didn't give up on them. The Woolster is a real cool cat though. Does his own thing. What a Divvy.

Say it Loud, I'm a Div and I'm Proud!

#58 2012-12-13 09:17:04

Sammy Ambrose

Liam Mac wrote:

Your disapproval is a seal of approval Sammy. Thank you for taking the time.

sorry, but that  comment is about as grown-up as the shirts you are championing.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#59 2012-12-13 09:19:05

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

No, you're a div.

#60 2012-12-13 09:19:20

Sammy Ambrose

Liam Mac wrote:

I'm sure there are forums discussing this style somewhere on the interwebs. It's certainly a bold look. But it's not for Divvys, eh Sammy?

On the subject of Deerslayers, they've really grown on me. I'm glad the Woolster gave them a chance and didn't give up on them. The Woolster is a real cool cat though. Does his own thing. What a Divvy.

Say it Loud, I'm a Div and I'm Proud!

Don't you  think you have to have known what a word means for more than five minutes before trying to crack jokes about its use?

#61 2012-12-13 09:20:52

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Liam Mac wrote:

No, you're a div.

^ that was intended in the style of a playground back and forth. I'm not actually calling you a div.

But I do stand by the initial point. From what little constructive posting I've seen of yours, your style is not mine. And I'm glad of that.

Best,

Liam

Last edited by Liam Mac (2012-12-13 09:24:32)

#62 2012-12-13 09:21:23

Sammy Ambrose

Liam Mac wrote:

No, you're a div.

Oh dear. I thought there was a stipulation that you had to be older than 13 to join this website.

#63 2012-12-13 09:23:08

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

Sammy Ambrose wrote:

Don't you  think you have to have known what a word means for more than five minutes before trying to crack jokes about its use?

Oh, i knew what the word meant. I just didn't understand the context. I couldn't believe a stranger would call me an idiot for liking small geometric patterning on a shirt... so I wanted clarification and it turns out it does have a double meaning.

Or did you really mean I was a half wit?

#64 2012-12-13 09:24:01

The Woolster
Ivy Antenna

Moose Maclennan wrote:

Armchaired wrote:

What would you wear on your tootsies?

Gunboats or Duckboots?

Deerslayers of course:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4303 … ollage.jpg

I'm dreaming of another pair in oxblood or Sanders snuff suede, with a real crepe sole instead of man made material. I've seen this style of shoe from various makers a couple of times since buying my Deerslayers, so it shouldn't be wholly impossible. The pair I have don't match most of my stuff.

#65 2012-12-13 09:26:40

Sammy Ambrose

Liam Mac wrote:

^ that was intended in the style of a playground back and forth. I'm not actually calling you a div.

But I do stand by the initial point. From what little constructive posting I've seen of yours, your style is not mine. And I'm glad of that.

Best,

Liam

What initial point?You haven't made one. You posted some pics of shirts you'd recently got into and then got upset when someone said they weren't to their taste.   You then start to behave like a three year old having a tantrum. And why on earth would you be 'glad' that anyone's style was not 'yours'? It's not a competition.

Last edited by Sammy Ambrose (2012-12-13 09:27:18)

#66 2012-12-13 09:37:26

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

My initial point in the disagreement with Woof (which wasn't a matter of not liking something) was that these shirts are authentic boom years Ivy style and as such can and should be discussed here. His point (I think) was that he didn't like them and they weren't for 'grown ups' and shouldn't be discussed here.

No tantrums here. You're the one who called someone a Divvy. I only replied to your 'grown up' post with "No, you're a Div" as a subversion from all this garbage. It was for a cheap laugh, no doubt. But it made me smile and judging from PM's I received it made a couple of others laugh too.

Post something worthwhile Sammy. Stop being a Divvy.

#67 2012-12-13 10:08:50

Sammy Ambrose

Liam Mac wrote:

No tantrums here.

Oh, really?

Liam Mac wrote:

From what little constructive posting I've seen of yours, your style is not mine. And I'm glad of that.

If that isn't  a tantrum, I don't know  what is.

Liam Mac wrote:

You're the one who called someone a Divvy.

No, no, no. I said the medallion prints would push one towards being what would have been called a  divvy. Objectively. And I think that's true.

And as for these things being a part of the Ivy canon, or belonging to the boom years I really couldn't care less. Nor, could I care whether they they were wardrobe items in old movies.

Neither am I interested in establishing  'a look' or conforming to any 'look'. I've had a look for nearly 50 years  and it has  never   included medallions, either  on shirts or around my neck.

But, if you want to wear them that's fine.

Last edited by Sammy Ambrose (2012-12-13 10:10:48)

#68 2012-12-13 10:26:57

formby

Ivy Jim... wrote:

The Woolster wrote:

12BarBlues wrote:

I have to say that I agree that there's a hell of a lot of stuff discussed more recently that isn't Ivy. Not that it bothers me, I quite like a bit of Americana and work wear even though i don't wear it. I think that this thread is well within the realms of Ivy though, these sorts of prints on button down shirts were part of the look at one point. If there's an over prevalence of threads on topics that don't interest then the best idea is to start threads on the topics that you want discussed. This place would be fairly dead at the moment if all that was posted about was strictly conservative Ivy.

What he said. We're all here because we like Ivy. I can't see what's the harm in exploring stuff that 'goes with Ivy', even if it's kids stuff. I don't think anyone has seriously suggested that boardshirts or baseball caps are Ivy. I mean we have loads of threads about jazz and absolutely nothing at all, so why draw the line here?

Besides, hoodies are Ivy are they not wink

http://blog.ctnews.com/meyers/files/2010/07/pretty4.jpg

/\ I want to do that look next.  Kinda 'Garp' too.

Cool.

Was the dress the ex footy player wore Ivy?

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#69 2012-12-13 10:29:37

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

I'm sorry I gave the impression that I was having a tantrum. I didn't mean that you posted little constructive content, just that I hadn't seen much of it. I only really see you trolling in threads that you don't seem to have much interest, other than trolling, in. Maybe you should start a thread on something that you do care about. The 'glad of that' part was perhaps a cheap shot. I'll take it back and only say that I am open minded when it comes to the look and I'm still exploring it.

I'm 25 years old. I am not interested in any established look and the idea of a rule book, literal or not just annoys me. We can agree on not conforming to any look I think... which is probably partly why I want to explore prints more. I'm getting bored of plains, stripes and plaids. I want to try something new.

I should hope you are OK with me wearing them. How do you feel about people discussing them here?

#70 2012-12-13 10:37:39

formby

Liam Mac wrote:

I'm sorry I gave the impression that I was having a tantrum. I didn't mean that you posted little constructive content, just that I hadn't seen much of it. I only really see you trolling in threads that you don't seem to have much interest, other than trolling, in. Maybe you should start a thread on something that you do care about. The 'glad of that' part was perhaps a cheap shot. I'll take it back and only say that I am open minded when it comes to the look and I'm still exploring it.

I'm 25 years old. I am not interested in any established look and the idea of a rule book, literal or not just annoys me. We can agree on not conforming to any look I think... which is probably partly why I want to explore prints more. I'm getting bored of plains, stripes and plaids. I want to try something new.

I should hope you are OK with me wearing them. How do you feel about people discussing them here?

Never...back down....

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#71 2012-12-13 10:46:31

Sammy Ambrose

Liam Mac wrote:

I only really see [Sammy Ambrose] trolling in threads that you don't seem to have much interest, other than trolling, in.

Trolling? Me?

#72 2012-12-13 10:50:37

Liam Mac
Ivy Avenger

It might be you, could be one of the other old stick in the muds. it's hard to tell some of your lot apart.

#73 2012-12-13 10:59:48

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

Don't make me Ang Lee, you wouldn't like me when I'm Ang Lee.

http://pmcmovieline.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/ang_lee_tw_premiere.jpg?w=197&h=251

Arrives unpressed and minimally packaged.

#74 2012-12-13 11:03:51

RobbieB

There might be a bit of a generational thing going on here. I don't want to sound like the Taliban and The IVY Look book by Marsh and Gaul isn't the Koran but it is the best guide to the look IMO. It is a guide and not a set of rules. Some of us old guys started wearing similar shirts to the above in the early 70's and we are not proud of it. At the time we wanted to distance ourselves from others wearing the standard shirts. We later came to our senses as we got older. I have just had a look at my Ivy book and page 62 does show some of the h.i.s. floral,patterned shirts from the early 1960's. I prefer the J. Press madras shirts on page 63. Obviously anyone can wear what they like and I bet we all dress better than 95% of the population.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#75 2012-12-13 11:04:15

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

Moose Maclennan wrote:

If you were just like stabbing them a Crombie would do fine.

Quote of the year, I'd rather wear the corpse of a dead deer than a Crombie.

Arrives unpressed and minimally packaged.

Board footer