You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-14 14:44:21

carpu65

A new spring for Mods?

#2 2012-12-14 22:41:01

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Re: A new spring for Mods?

Last saw MF wearing Mark Powell. He was on my list for the 100 Club this New Year's, but I never heard back & he missed his window. He's a busy boy. Sir Errol DJ of Black Cat Club fame was keen for him to be there. Prince Buster has recently been really unwell & Georgie Fame is working... In the end we had to close the guest list as it got swamped...

What is this thing called 'Mod' ?

I remember Ian Strachan at the Ivy Shop recalling how he and John Simons would stay at the Metropole in Brighton when down for the weekend and, glass in hand, watch these teenage gangs beating each other up. Ian sniffed loudly at the recollection of them.

But then they were Ivy Jazz Modernists, if they were anything, & unlikely to be impressed by all that.

Best  -

#3 2012-12-15 06:33:33

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#4 2012-12-15 10:33:10

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

/\ Taking the best from the above, I'd agree that, from my understanding of Mod, it wasn't remotely all about the clothes because the clothes were always changing. Mod is some kind of ethos, no ?

I quite like the difference between Mod & Modernism (real or imagined). Others must fill in the gaps here...

#5 2012-12-15 11:09:36

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#6 2012-12-15 11:23:19

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#7 2012-12-15 11:47:01

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#8 2012-12-15 12:36:36

Fritz the Cat

#9 2012-12-15 14:01:42

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#10 2012-12-15 16:54:10

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#11 2012-12-15 21:47:12

Chévere

How about old trainee geezers...

Cógelo suave, pero cógelo.

#12 2012-12-16 05:34:03

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#13 2012-12-19 10:39:34

David Reeves

I started off getting into suits from the perspective of a young man at university dressing up for nights on the town. I was and always will be a modernist even if I am wearing a tracksuit. The whole thing of using modern English tailor or tailoring is meant to be a rather tongue in cheek reference to that because theres a certain irony in using the word modern these days.

I used to get a new suit made every two weeks and my haircut every week, I took two pairs of shoes with me to work at Gieves a pair for the day in brown and a pair in black for when it got dark. I had two jobs one at Gieves the other at a bar and I always got as much out of the student loans and overdrafts that I could. I would go to a Mod night in Leeds called Brighton Beach and show up on my own in a limo and go right in without standing in line. I wasn't really like the people that called themselves mods. I don't think they were the real deal, too much in the living in the past and vintage clothes. They would look down on people if they didn't have a black and white T.V and none sense like that.

REEVES
http://www.reeves-nyc.com
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/davidreevesbespoke/?hl=en

#14 2012-12-19 11:31:15

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#15 2012-12-19 11:34:06

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

Board footer