You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » Inane Overdrive-Brave New World Edition, 2013 and Beyond

#1 2013-01-01 10:26:05

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Inane Overdrive-Brave New World Edition, 2013 and Beyond

We survived 2012, Mayans and Fiscal Cliff notwithstanding. I expect some entertaining and witty posts this year.

Le costume fait sur mesure en tissue Fresco est le préféré des ploucs!
Facebook: FNB Dandy  Twitter: @DevilsIslandFNB Instagram: fnbdandy

#2 2013-01-02 02:47:14

adorable homunculus

Re: Inane Overdrive-Brave New World Edition, 2013 and Beyond

OK, let's get this thread rolling.

Igents ponder the dress code for 'fraternities' as they imagine that the right khakis may be surrogate to ability during their climb to the top of the 'Big 4' companies.

Notable for use of the 'C' word, albeit with asterisks but nevertherless a rare sight amongst the civilised men of AAAC.

Bonus: a mention of a secret society for Shooey.

Extra Special Bonus: Ark explains exactly what Trad means (worth the price of admission for this nugget alone).

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/foru … aternities

We dont need any of the clothes we buy except as a means to be the star in the film of our life populated by constructs  - FNB

#3 2013-01-02 04:59:34

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

can I put it on my cereal though?

Arrives unpressed and minimally packaged.

#4 2013-01-02 08:14:37

Axelist
Talker of the talk, walker of the walk.

Accounting fraternity are pretty infamous for their group calculations.

Just to get a repp..

#5 2013-01-02 20:28:51

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Huge influxes of energy have been going on in the last 5 weeks and l can sense my DNA advancing. We are definitely in an age of enlightenment. Can anyone feel the vibrations and magic going on in the environment? l feel the secret societies will lose out.

btw, the Fiscal cliff is just a cover up for America's demise via corrupt monetary policy. Fiscal policy will never fix anything.

back to topic.

Last edited by The_Shooman (2013-01-02 21:26:03)

Buff's Bastards......exposing message board inanity and keeping false GODS accountable since 2006!

Cooked food should be made illegal - Dr Jubb (Jubsy)

#6 2013-01-03 00:37:21

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

I thought I had an influx of energy but it was actually the Scotch Bonnets working their way through after the Jerk Chicken on NYE.

Arrives unpressed and minimally packaged.

#7 2013-01-03 00:40:00

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

We've gotta' make that evolutionary jump into hyper-space, Shooey.

I can sense my DNA advancing too, but not in a positive way, there's lines on my forehead and around my eyes that won't go away now. And then there's that noticeable pastyness seeping into the expression on my face. You think you can deny the ageing process, because your you, then one day, you wake-up and you look middle aged. The best I can hope for know is to end all a venerable old sage, like Yoda.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#8 2013-01-06 00:53:45

fxh
Big Down Under.

In Naples, another center of bespoke tailoring, Mariano Rubinacci makes only 1,000 jackets per year. (Existing clients get priority.) There are no labels on Mr. Rubinacci's suits—only the customer's name handwritten in permanent marker on a cream-colored patch inside the breast pocket. And no request is deemed excessive or impossible. One client in Los Angeles demanded a tuxedo for New Year's Eve on Dec. 27. "He spent 20,000 euro on travel and 6,000 euro on the suit just because he wanted to see if my father was able to do it," recalled Luca Rubinacci, son of owner Mariano. "And, I think he wanted to tell his friends about it."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 40586.html

To do: insert constantly changing witty, knowing and slightly ironic literary quote or reference.

http://sexyankles.tumblr.com/

#9 2013-01-06 01:02:42

Excart

He spent 20,000 euro on travel and 6,000 euro on the suit just because he wanted to see if my father was able to do it," recalled Luca Rubinacci, son of owner Mariano. "

A magnificent feat...And he had a fellow rich and eccentric enough to pay him a large sum just to test his father's mettle? That's blockbuster stuff--harrowing saga of excess, intrigue, sex, and power!

#10 2013-01-06 01:13:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Who in their right mind with all the associated geographical displacement and jet leg, would travel from LA to Naples and back in that short time frame?

#11 2013-01-06 01:16:58

Excart

Filmnoirbuff was probably the client...

#12 2013-01-06 02:09:29

fxh
Big Down Under.

4F Hepcat wrote:

Who in their right mind with all the associated geographical displacement and jet leg, would travel from LA to Naples and back in that short time frame?

Who in their right mind would believe some tailor's PR bullshit

To do: insert constantly changing witty, knowing and slightly ironic literary quote or reference.

#13 2013-01-06 02:12:46

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Although there is a lot of similarities between the Italian and British psyche, despite the exoticism they see in each other, the difference here, is that the Italian tailor would invent some spin or indeed brag and boast about the extreme travel of their client as a badge of honour, but you wouldn't see an English tailor resort to such a PR stunt.

#14 2013-01-06 14:14:24

Gilgamesh2003

Happy new year!
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/13829_10151305224118396_1632005971_n.jpg

#15 2013-01-06 15:27:02

fxh
Big Down Under.

Since Gil has started the year in a spirit of openness and sharing by posting a pic of himself stalking some schoolgirls shopping at a small apparel shop above, its only fitting I should post a pic of myself in the New Year. (I try not to dry clean my suit too often)

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1550_fxh2.jpg

#16 2013-01-06 16:04:41

Gilgamesh2003

When you're a Trad it's called "courting" not "stalking."

#17 2013-01-06 16:07:54

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I once 'Squired' my 'Intended'...

... And that's how I got my bad back..  wink

#18 2013-01-06 16:14:08

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

This is what happens when you match colors "not exactly". Fit of jacket is abysmal. Cut is badly conceived and executed. Balance is off the sartorial cliff.

#19 2013-01-06 16:14:54

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

fxh wrote:

Since Gil has started the year in a spirit of openness and sharing by posting a pic of himself stalking some schoolgirls shopping at a small apparel shop above, its only fitting I should post a pic of myself in the New Year. (I try not to dry clean my suit too often)

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/uploads/1550_fxh2.jpg

That's either Robin Williams or it's a Rubinacci client.

#20 2013-01-06 16:52:16

fxh
Big Down Under.

Film Noir Buff wrote:

This is what happens when you match colors "not exactly". Fit of jacket is abysmal. Cut is badly conceived and executed. Balance is off the sartorial cliff.

I do feel a bit sympathetic to him - I've got that same problem with forward thrusting hips and middle and too far back shoulders. Can't change it.

#21 2013-01-06 17:25:20

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

fxh wrote:

Film Noir Buff wrote:

I do feel a bit sympathetic to him - I've got that same problem with forward thrusting hips and middle and too far back shoulders. Can't change it.

Comes in handy for this dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtkdo7bOmJc

#22 2013-01-07 17:11:14

Gilgamesh2003

Some wise words from Andyland superstar Cuffdaddy, in the middle of a discussion about the embarrassingly irrelevant conservative newspaper comic strip Doonesebury:
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/foru … ost1359011

It's coming into greater clarity to me that the big divide in men's clothing right now is rooted in whether dignity is a central goal of dress. If dignity is not important, then one can place greater emphasis on hip-ness, sexuality, conspicuity, etc. Clothing "designers" are mostly pitching towards those latter goals, while those of us who hew to classic or traditional styles of dress are likely still interested in maintaining dignity.

As for me, the world heaps enough indignities upon us all that I don't see a reason to allow one's own clothing to get in on the act. I guess that makes me a curmudgeon, or something.

If the iGents are striving for dignity then I'm afraid that I have some very bad news for them.

But seriously, Mr. Daddy perhaps unintentionally raises two central points of the iGent moral and aesthetic sense here: the iGent must always suspect that everyone is going to laugh at him, and the iGent must choose correctness (that is, "dignity," or "gentlemanly" clothes) over all other things. His dress may be correct, but it may never be sexy, or modish, or noticeable. This is an essentially depressing goal, made worse by the fact that so many iGents strive so hard for it and so few of them achieve it.

Dignity is, of course, a performance and a contingent power relation, something that exists amid social tensions and inequalities, not something that can be generated by purchasing a taupe sportscoat. Manners are a better route to dignity than clothes - of course the iGents love to imagine that they have excellent manners, and of course it's impossible to really tell over the internet.

#23 2013-01-07 17:15:40

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Only an 'appraisal' of the  'purview' of their 'writings' could 'suffice' to answer that one...

wink

#24 2013-01-07 17:45:12

fxh
Big Down Under.

Gilgamesh2003 wrote:

Dignity is, of course, a performance and a contingent power relation, something that exists amid social tensions and inequalities, not something that can be generated by purchasing a taupe sportscoat. Manners are a better route to dignity than clothes - of course the iGents love to imagine that they have excellent manners, and of course it's impossible to really tell over the internet.

However there are enough reports of their dealings with SAs, (and other lesser beings) as they so familiarly name them, to ascertain that manners are not something in which iGents can generally claim to excel.

#25 2013-01-08 15:50:02

Bishop of Briggs

Brooks Brothers' pathetic attempt at sartorial astrology - http://blog.brooksbrothers.com/the-look … ial-signs/

Aries
March 21 to April 19

You’re used to leading the pack, and staying ahead of trends is not only a option but a personal requirement. Which is why you will embrace winter whites and give others the emotional strength to clad themselves in white corduroy trousers.

Taurus
April 20 to May 20

We know you’re stubborn but it’s time you learned how to tie a bow tie and wear it well. In fact, you will sport it with such grace and aplomb the great men’s clothier will retweet you when you participate in Bow Tie Friday. Now go forth and make your mark in 140 characters or less.

Gemini
May 21 to June 20

Okay Shaggy, we appreciate your fun-spirited Movember participation but it’s time to let go of those lumberjack locks in favor of proper grooming. This year you will get a haircut every four weeks not because you necessarily need it, but because you respect yourself. As Glenn O’Brien says, “Upon awakening, a man should prepare himself for greatness and hold that pose until retiring.” If your coif aspires to greatness the rest will follow suit.

Cancer
June 21 to July 22

Here’s what is going to happen, you’re going to use your creative intuition to work a jacket into your every day ensemble. Regardless of the weather, pick a suit jacket or sport coat that will complement your trousers or dare we say, denim. It’s a foolproof style upgrade that everyone from your boss to Mother will appreciate.

Leo
July 23 to August 22

You read the style magazines, pay attention to trends and are a proud member of #TeamORG. Now that you’ve mastered the rules it’s time to edit your closet and either toss or tailor anything that doesn’t fit you perfectly. Because let’s face it Simba, one day everything the light touches will be yours and being in charge means looking the part.

Virgo
August 23 to September 22

They say a lady always notices your shoes first, and it’s time to take stock in them. Graduate from tennis shoes to wing tips, or invest in an array of penny loafers or double monks. Quality shoes will last you for years, and the natural critic in you will discern the solid investments from passing fancies. By the way, when’s the last time you visited a cobbler, anyway?

Libra
September 23 to October 22

Channel your inner Southern dandy this year and invest in a seersucker suit. What better way to spend a summer afternoon than indulging your inner socialite by drinking mint juleps and making idle chatter with ladies in dresses? They’ll appreciate your classic style as much as you enjoy the barbecue fare.

Scorpio
October 23 to November 22

We know you’re a loyal chap and quite devoted to your trusty blue shirt. This year you will stretch yourself to thinking outside kinds of blue and opt for checks, plaids or a pink oxford. It may be difficult at first, but remember the hardest and right thing are nearly always the same.

Sagittarius
November 22 to December 21

Congratulations on mastering the art of the blazer. Now let’s concentrate on filling its pocket. From pocket squares to sunglasses to driving gloves or even bow ties, this often overlooked detail adds character to your signature, outspoken style.

Capricorn
December 22 to January 19

For the man who accepts nothing less than instant gratification, we urge you to make any outfit memorable with an ample dose of “go-to-hell ankles“. It’s not only a brazen display of masculinity, but gives the ladies something to look at.

Aquarius
January 20 to February 18

You younger Aquarius’ may think you know everything, but when you’re out at Dorrian’s please try to tuck in your shirt and leave the backwards baseball cap for the bleachers. By merely tucking and belting in your button down you immediately become more presentable. And while we’re on the subject, just because it’s on special doesn’t mean you should present a lady with a canned drink.

Pisces
February 19 to March 20

Repeat after us: you are now not the guy who just takes off his tie to hit the town after work. You had a long day and it shows. Keep a spare shirt Don Draper style in your office so you’re not mistaken as an intern while ordering your 11th hour mozzarella sticks at Big D’s. (If you couldn’t tell, we do frequent Dorrian’s.)

Contrary to lies of FNB and Woofboxer, I (and most of the other "Buff Bastards") have been banned from posting on this forum. There are only a few posters left so don't waste your time on here. This forum is now dead!

• Index
  •  » The Wardrobe
  •  » Inane Overdrive-Brave New World Edition, 2013 and Beyond

Board footer