Re: The Cool Pic Thread -

That Grand Hotel pic is amazing...

Bertie: "What do ties matter, Jeeves, at a time like this?"
Jeeves: "There is no time, sir, at which ties do not matter."

#3652 2017-11-20 10:33:42

stanshall

the Gibson SG played by Sister Rosetta Tharpe:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/d97da508036f88559e5e657aded9f9c8/tumblr_n4tbf41Nph1qbtz74o6_r1_250.gif

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#3653 2017-11-22 21:23:43

Berkeley_Breathes

https://ibhuluimcom-a.akamaihd.net/ib.huluim.com/video/9728137?size=1024x576

#3654 2017-11-22 21:58:23

Berkeley_Breathes

Happy Thanksgiving from Sandra Dee, Rock Hudson, and Gina Lollobrigida...
https://vickielester.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/ginl1209.jpg

#3655 2017-12-01 19:46:03

Berkeley_Breathes

A somewhat creepy pic of the late poet Richard Wilbur in a very interesting jacket and trousers combo... Light jacket over darker trousers isn't seen too often, I've seen Prince Charles do it...

https://www.amherst.edu/system/files/styles/original/private/Wilbur%2520AC%252015%2520reunion%25201957.jpg

#3656 2017-12-02 05:33:38

Yuca

Cal Tjader:

https://scontent.fltn1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24131241_1731423423591025_5446897053132753395_n.jpg?oh=f5ed12134f183e6e930db6743544bfbb&oe=5AD04081

some sort of banal legitimacy

#3657 2017-12-02 05:38:26

Yuca

Ray Barretto:

https://scontent.fltn1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23915681_10210117081593628_8392623575224667459_n.jpg?oh=28a517c3d43a10e820c1389026ccd41d&oe=5A8FF2D2

#3658 2017-12-02 05:40:21

Yuca

Double breasted seersucker? Remember, don't try this at home kids.

#3659 2017-12-02 09:41:27

stanshall

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

A somewhat creepy pic of the late poet Richard Wilbur in a very interesting jacket and trousers combo... Light jacket over darker trousers isn't seen too often, I've seen Prince Charles do it...

https://www.amherst.edu/system/files/st … 201957.jpg

haha he does kind of look like a cross between the trollface and Ed Grimley here 

tropically speaking, it [light jacket over darker trousers] is something I've worn a fair amount in the summer, Brooks, Andover, and Press wash-and-wear khaki or light olive poplins with medium-gray tropical worsted trousers, or a khaki sport coat with chinos in a slightly darker tan or olive .....

in the fall, a tan cord sport coat, or a tweed in a light-to-medium shade would get paired with darker trousers more often than not .....

#3660 2017-12-02 09:58:43

Berkeley_Breathes

stanshall wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

haha he does kind of look like a cross between the trollface and Ed Grimley here 

tropically speaking, it [light jacket over darker trousers] is something I've worn a fair amount in the summer, Brooks, Andover, and Press wash-and-wear khaki or light olive poplins with medium-gray tropical worsted trousers, or a khaki sport coat with chinos in a slightly darker tan or olive .....

in the fall, a tan cord sport coat, or a tweed in a light-to-medium shade would get paired with darker trousers more often than not .....

http://ris.fashion.telegraph.co.uk/RichImageService.svc/imagecontent/1/TMG7973656/m/rex3532_1705848a.jpg

#3661 2017-12-02 16:56:07

stanshall

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

stanshall wrote:

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

http://ris.fashion.telegraph.co.uk/RichImageService.svc/imagecontent/1/TMG7973656/m/rex3532_1705848a.jpg

well it's 1979 okay, all across the USA:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-teCviE4E1nc/T2xSD-Eu8hI/AAAAAAAAI6Y/5HVCg4743fE/s400/NYYuppies_1979_b.jpg

#3662 2017-12-02 17:16:47

Berkeley_Breathes

^ A+++

#3663 2017-12-09 08:57:57

Berkeley_Breathes

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/galleries/x701/256831.jpg

#3664 2017-12-09 15:16:01

Berkeley_Breathes

Tommy wrote:

You know he was a great admirer of Hitler right?

Well, last I checked it was one of the most well-known facts about him, so yes... He was also of course very racist in the conventional sense, not just anti-Semitic... Lots of people in this thread and others had repellent ideas, but we post their pictures to discuss their style... Can the two ever really be separated is an interesting question that probably needs to be explored further. Can style be a window into deeper discussions of personality? Probably! smile

You know, this is something I've had in the back of my mind recently...

I visited the site run by a certain gentleman whose initials are CC, a post about watches... In the comments section someone pointed out, and applauded, a Barry Goldwater campaign poster in the background. Now, I think that's only to be expected on CC's site, but it got me thinking.

What is our duty here on TI? To erase pictures of all those people? In previous threads and posts, there have been distinctions drawn between an interest in style and an endorsement of politics, for instance with George H.W. Bush... There have also been times when that distinction has proved impossible to make, or was never intended to be made in the first place, and the posts were ultimately removed.

I would not post a picture of Hitler, or Mosley, or George Lincoln Rockwell, even if their style was awesome (it wasn't). There seems to be little value to be added by doing so - we could find whatever they were doing evidenced by more harmless figures, after all, and it is these people who should be highlighted. I would not post a picture of Barry Goldwater here, because there's no reason really to do so that is not in some way an ideological one - his style is not distinctive enough to merit it. His inclusion in the photo at CC's site was ideological, a cozy reinforcement of a collective escape into a time when the white male was sitting happily and securely on the backs of those who now are still fighting for their equal rights.

That escape is a natural leap when there are communities such as ours. We are a community of almost (?) 100% white males, who have a strong interest in style (and lifestyle, to a degree) from roughly the 1930s to the 1980s... a time when life, certainly American life, was dominated by discriminatory institutions and systems, and largely rewarded those who strengthened those systems.

The Duke of Windsor had repellent views, and not only about Nazism. But he also had a public image separate from those views, and that is a style image. I believe that posting a picture of the Duke of Windsor can (unlike a Hitler or a Pieter Botha) - in a forum such as this - exist apart from ideological motives and ideas, and that was the spirit in which I posted it. The same goes for John F. Kennedy, or even Prince Philip.

We should not slide into an embrace of the dark side of the decades we enjoy thinking about and celebrating here at TI; but neither should we ignore them. And just because someone is a messy figure doesn't mean a) we can never enjoy their clothing choices, and b) we endorse their less desirable views by doing so.

#3665 2017-12-09 15:59:57

Babbling Brooks

Is that a colourised photo do you think?

#3666 2017-12-10 03:32:05

SanchoPanza

Stripes anyone?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a7/7c/28/a77c28183ddda221b1fc2fc0d617cf97.jpg

#3667 2017-12-10 03:33:07

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Very eloquently put Berkeley and in a round about way I was making the same point in the Hollywood Ivy Look thread. The fact is that many of the prominent people from years gone whose style we admire have since been revealed to have been less than perfect. The opinion makers have become very busy applying the standards of today to what went on years ago. The other day Babbling felt that he needed to apologise for posting a picture of Bill Cosby, he doesn’t have to - all we are concerned with here is the clothes and other harmless associated interests. The Duke of Windsor was one of the eminent, if not the most eminent, figures behind modern mens style so there is no reason why you should not post pictures of him here.

p.s. did you mean George Lincoln Rockell BB?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

#3668 2017-12-10 05:08:11

Tommy

Berkeley_Breathes wrote:

Tommy wrote:

You know he was a great admirer of Hitler right?

Well, last I checked it was one of the most well-known facts about him, so yes... He was also of course very racist in the conventional sense, not just anti-Semitic... Lots of people in this thread and others had repellent ideas, but we post their pictures to discuss their style... Can the two ever really be separated is an interesting question that probably needs to be explored further. Can style be a window into deeper discussions of personality? Probably! smile

You know, this is something I've had in the back of my mind recently...

I visited the site run by a certain gentleman whose initials are CC, a post about watches... In the comments section someone pointed out, and applauded, a Barry Goldwater campaign poster in the background. Now, I think that's only to be expected on CC's site, but it got me thinking.

What is our duty here on TI? To erase pictures of all those people? In previous threads and posts, there have been distinctions drawn between an interest in style and an endorsement of politics, for instance with George H.W. Bush... There have also been times when that distinction has proved impossible to make, or was never intended to be made in the first place, and the posts were ultimately removed.

I would not post a picture of Hitler, or Mosley, or George Norman Rockwell, even if their style was awesome (it wasn't). There seems to be little value to be added by doing so - we could find whatever they were doing evidenced by more harmless figures, after all, and it is these people who should be highlighted. I would not post a picture of Barry Goldwater here, because there's no reason really to do so that is not in some way an ideological one - his style is not distinctive enough to merit it. His inclusion in the photo at CC's site was ideological, a cozy reinforcement of a collective escape into a time when the white male was sitting happily and securely on the backs of those who now are still fighting for their equal rights.

That escape is a natural leap when there are communities such as ours. We are a community of almost (?) 100% white males, who have a strong interest in style (and lifestyle, to a degree) from roughly the 1930s to the 1980s... a time when life, certainly American life, was dominated by discriminatory institutions and systems, and largely rewarded those who strengthened those systems.

The Duke of Windsor had repellent views, and not only about Nazism. But he also had a public image separate from those views, and that is a style image. I believe that posting a picture of the Duke of Windsor can (unlike a Hitler or a Pieter Botha) - in a forum such as this - exist apart from ideological motives and ideas, and that was the spirit in which I posted it. The same goes for John F. Kennedy, or even Prince Philip.

We should not slide into an embrace of the dark side of the decades we enjoy thinking about and celebrating here at TI; but neither should we ignore them. And just because someone is a messy figure doesn't mean a) we can never enjoy their clothing choices, and b) we endorse their less desirable views by doing so.

First off Berkley, I'm in no way accusing you of sharing his views- I know you have far too much class and intelligence for that. Also, thank you for the concise in depth reply.

I've actually always avoided posting pictures of certain people for the reasons you've outlined above. I would no more post a picture of Rockwell, than Malcom X, even though I believe before he was assassinated X had something of an epiphany,revalidated his views and had at least been very articulate in what he said before.

I've no desire to turn this into a running debate, so having said my piece I'd like to ask to respectfully disagree with you and Woof on this and we'll move on?

#3669 2017-12-10 05:16:43

Classic

woofboxer wrote:

Very eloquently put Berkeley and in a round about way I was making the same point in the Hollywood Ivy Look thread. The fact is that many of the prominent people from years gone whose style we admire have since been revealed to have been less than perfect. The opinion makers have become very busy applying the standards of today to what went on years ago. The other day Babbling felt that he needed to apologise for posting a picture of Bill Cosby, he doesn’t have to - all we are concerned with here is the clothes and other harmless associated interests. The Duke of Windsor was one of the eminent, if not the most eminent, figures behind modern mens style so there is no reason why you should not post pictures of him here.

Thank you for these wise words.

"Today, we single-handedly destroyed the polyester industry."

Blog | Instagram

#3670 2017-12-10 09:30:01

Berkeley_Breathes

woofboxer wrote:

p.s. did you mean George Lincoln Rockell BB?

HA! Poor Norman Rockwell, he didn't deserve that... big_smile Yes I did and made the correction, haha...

Yes, I think your post was one of the things that was pushing my thoughts in that direction... Yes, I think that within certain bounds, if we acknowledge that there are issues we can set them aside and focus on the clothes. Thanks for your thoughts on this woof!

#3671 2017-12-10 09:36:49

Berkeley_Breathes

Tommy wrote:

First off Berkley, I'm in no way accusing you of sharing his views- I know you have far too much class and intelligence for that. Also, thank you for the concise in depth reply.

I've actually always avoided posting pictures of certain people for the reasons you've outlined above. I would no more post a picture of Rockwell, than Malcom X, even though I believe before he was assassinated X had something of an epiphany,revalidated his views and had at least been very articulate in what he said before.

I've no desire to turn this into a running debate, so having said my piece I'd like to ask to respectfully disagree with you and Woof on this and we'll move on?

Of course, Tommy... I fully respect your position and there's nothing wrong with it, in fact it's the opposite, very commendable... and if a picture does get posted of someone you feel is inexcusable I encourage you to make a noise about it and we can continue this conversation, which I think is very enlightening and interesting... Malcolm X is a very good example of a messy personality, and you're correct, his views became much more moderate as he moved away from Elijah Muhammad and the Nation of Islam and came to realize that Islam in reality is not what he had been taught... I also find his style to be a bit boring, of course wink

Thank you for pushing back on the Duke of Windsor photo and starting this train of conversation! And as I said, while I appreciate your flexibility and ability to agree to disagree, you're always welcome to keep that pushback going if you feel the need...

#3672 2017-12-10 10:46:40

Babbling Brooks

Just to add to Woofs point, it's not all about what was right then and what is right now, some of this stuff that's being going on was as illegal when it happened as it is now, it's just victims couldn't get the support and confidence to come forward. However it's a prime time for chancers, but because liable works differently in the UK our papers are even less likely to carry allegations. It's a transitional time and hopefully for the better but l know what Woof is saying, we all act normally to what's seen as right or wrong at the time by society's rules. That doesn't excuse what we're actual crimes though.

On a further note, we are here for the clothes aren't we? So I'd normally just concentrate on that, I can get upset as anything else about that as we all well know.

Last edited by Babbling Brooks (2017-12-10 10:48:28)

#3673 2017-12-10 10:54:57

Berkeley_Breathes

Babbling Brooks wrote:

Just to add to Woofs point, it's not all about what was right then and what is right now, some of this stuff that's being going on was as illegal when it happened as it is now, it's just victims couldn't get the support and confidence to come forward. However it's a prime time for chancers, but because liable works differently in the UK our papers are even less likely to carry allegations. It's a transitional time and hopefully for the better but l know what Woof is saying, we all act normally to what's seen as right or wrong at the time by society's rules. That doesn't excuse what we're actual crimes though.

On a further note, we are here for the clothes aren't we? So I'd normally just concentrate on that, I can get upset as anything else about that as we all well know.

Great point BB, very true all around!

#3674 2017-12-10 11:01:27

Berkeley_Breathes

Excellent... Was just watching an episode of The Sopranos, Tony and his Ukrainian mistress are in a hotel room that has Hockney's "A Bigger Splash" on the wall... Tony asks, "What does that painting mean to you?" She goes, "Nothing, it just reminds me of... David Hockey."

#3675 2017-12-10 11:01:44

Berkeley_Breathes

3/2 on Alan Bennett...

http://archive.camdennewjournal.com/sites/all/files/nj_camden/imagecache/main_img/images/news/Alan%20Bennett%20with%20Elizabeth%20Horder%20.jpg

Board footer