#101 2013-02-08 03:55:18

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: Ivy 'Classicism' ?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#102 2013-02-08 12:42:58

Lawlib

>I can't remember which 'lesser public school' had/have those as standard day wear.

Christ's Hospital?

http://www.christs-hospital.org.uk

#103 2013-02-08 12:46:38

carpu65

#104 2013-02-08 13:49:48

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#105 2013-02-08 14:40:59

carpu65

I suspect that only ten years before this style was called "conservative style".
Infact the undarted sack with natural (crooked) shoulders came from 1890s and before.
Why in 20s is called "university style"?
I have a theory.
For some reason the university shops must be behind with new cuts.
Maybe the sons of elitè of the nation buy there,but let's face the reality; Princeton or New Haven were provincial places back then.
So when in 20s smart new yorkers dressed lounge suits from (or copied by) Saville Row and Bond Street,this old style was sold as "university style"....also because worn mainly by university men.
About Brooks,in 20s n-1 sack suit were not the only or main style sold by BB.

#106 2013-02-08 15:06:49

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I would reverse that theory. Fashion is far more deliberate than that. The way in which things are sold is the way in which they sell best. The campus shops weren't behind with anything. They were copying Brooks and you can bet that they were keeping a very keen eye on them. The market was created and was created for maximum profit. There is no fanciful organic growth in the reality of fashion. That only exists in the marketing of fashion.

Why should clothes be any different to cans of beans from a business point of view ?

You wouldn't get all dewy-eyed and emotionally invested in the back story of your supper would you ?

And if you would, Bravo. You are the dream consumer.

The creation of the Ivy market is actually far less interesting than the industry's destruction of it. They trashed their own baby when there was more money to be made in something else. The same agencies who had promoted Ivy moved to sneering at it and ridiculing it with ease. Because it was all about buisness. You may think that you are buying a culture along with your buttondown and you'd be right. But it's the culture of the market place, not of any ivory tower anywhere.

The campus schtick sells so sell 'em the campus. If the law courts sold then it would have been called something else. 'The Chancery Lane Look'?

#107 2013-02-08 15:34:27

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

If the heretofore un-named executives of "marketing" used the idea of the campus to sell the clothes to customers both on and off the campus, then didn't they get their message across successfully? And if so, isn't the campus still to be credited? The job of the marketer was to solidify the link between the clothes and the campus, but if people bought the clothes because of this, wasn't it to feel a connection to the campus, not the marketer? And what other metric is there to assess or describe this phenomenon, short of getting into a time machine, short of mind-reading dead Princetonians? There is sales data somewhere, sure, but surely that isn't divorced from marketing either. People buy what they're sold and sellers market what they're selling. But good sellers also know to adapt to trends they see, it isn't an iron-fisted machine of trend-creation where you shove whatever you want down the throats of consumers. Crew neck shetlands selling better than V-neck cashmere? Next buying cycle you double the order of the former and halve the latter. Maybe in your catalog you feature the shetlands more prominently, but does that mean you deserve credit for starting a crew-neck shetland trend?

Last edited by The Thin Repp (2013-02-08 15:42:59)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#108 2013-02-08 15:42:30

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Couldn't agree more. The Marketer is always in the shadows. The Campus was to the fore - It was the conduit for the selling of the style. THAT's what people bought. The Campus sold Ivy wonderfully. But it was all still selling.

Re: The Shetlands you are right, but the Shetlands had to be on offer in the first place. They couldn't be bought if they weren't for sale !

#109 2013-02-08 15:55:19

The Thin Repp
Ivy Evangelist

Last edited by The Thin Repp (2013-02-08 15:59:02)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NewtonStreetVintage  Classic Vintage Ivy League Clothing on Etsy.

#110 2013-02-08 16:03:15

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

I think the point is, most of these things existed before it was sold as 'ivy', initially it was not designed for the campus. Doesn't really matter to me either way apart from when it's peddled as that solely, because it clearly isn't true.

Arrives unpressed and minimally packaged.

#111 2013-02-08 16:03:55

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

No indictment from me. Like you I work in menswear and so I thoroughly approve of the selling of schmutter. I just allow myself to be rather bald about the relaities of it all as I have nobody to please but the behind the scenes people I deal with. I don't even sell my Vintage range to the public but to shops instead.

I'm happiest dealing with clothing people as they know what's what. And most love me as there's no BS about me. Too many members of Joe Public live in a dream world when it comes to clobber. Great to sell to, but I wouldn't want to put up with all their silly talk.

#112 2013-02-08 22:07:09

carpu65

#113 2013-02-09 02:50:08

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Richard Press himself says that Jacobi took the Brooks style to New Haven. He was a businessman - Bravo !

Ivy fell from widespread popularity, but was certainly still sold and sold well in its own little niche market well up to 1990 when I was still spoiled for choice on my US shopping jaunts.

The problem with people who want to talk about clothes but who do not know the clothing industry is that they will forever talk in absolutes which make them look foolish to clothes people. 'It was all about this' and 'It was all about that' - Mr. Chensvold last night in conversation with a Facebook friend of mine (I can't post there!) very honestly admitted that he had a 'Romantic' view of the rag trade. I can promise you that that is a view the clothing industry does not share in reality, it just promotes it to sell its wares. To shift units. To improve the balance sheet.

If I'm selling you an Ivy jacket I will tell you that it is symbolic of Long Island afternoons that never ended, of crisp fall mornings crossing the quad to lectures, of meeting old Uncle George at The Club to talk about what to do post-Graduation. What do I care? I have jackets to sell. Mordechai and I have to get these babies sold or Miriam and Ruth with be kvetching again. Oy...

Is there any greater wistful dreamer than the clothing purchaser? I hope not or I'll never make any money. But I see no reason not talk about the fact that those dreams are manipulated and contrived for the financial gain of others - A fact which I heartily approve of.

Clothing is a business. It's about product. It isn't a twee little mirror held up to society which reflects all that is noble, aristocratic and good expressed in 'Certain configurations of cloth'. Who could possibly be so f*cking wet behind the ears ?

#114 2013-02-09 02:56:14

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

I think it is exactly that,

It has undermined the quality of the product though, companies soon realised the 'head space' of the consumer was more important the the quality of what they wore. It basically was a bullet through the heart of the craft, and the love of the integrity of clothes.

#115 2013-02-09 02:56:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#116 2013-02-09 03:02:02

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

True - And those meanings come from Marketing.

Styles are sold and promoted to people. People don't make their own clothes at home. Cultural meanings are created.

#117 2013-02-09 03:05:06

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

#118 2013-02-09 03:08:22

Kingston1an

"Florid, smug, middle-aged golf club bore in this country I'd say. Propping up the 19th hole in deepest Surrey bemoaning the perils of immigration."

#119 2013-02-09 03:12:48

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I'll go along with that, but the clothes come first. They have to be there for meanings to be grafted onto them.

#120 2013-02-09 03:24:04

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

Worthy of exploration is the mentality which regards shops as cultural cornerstones - You can't tell me that that isn't brilliant marketing by shopkeepers !

wink

#121 2013-02-09 03:27:04

1,966% Ivy

#122 2013-02-09 04:17:22

RobbieB

Today stuff is deliberately produced not to last. Turnover is everything. Cars are now built to last 5-7 years. I find that crazy but it is the world in which we live. I don't believe this was fully the case in the past. With limited resources products had to last. That is why the products tended to be better made, but cost more. It could be argued that cars weren't as well made in the past but at least people could fix them if they broke down. My parents would expect a kettle, for example, to last at least ten years. If it broke dad would fix it. Today people throw away things when they break or even when they get bored with the colour/style. Everything is disposable. The mindset today is cheap and cheerful. Look at the success of Primark.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#123 2013-02-09 04:42:28

Drum Thunder !!!
Son of Odin

Yeah I mean the second reason I buy old clothes, other than liking the style of many of them, is because they're typically cheaper and better than anything I could buy now, yes there are exceptions, but on the whole I find even cheaper brands like Sears are better.

#124 2013-02-09 09:16:51

carpu65

#125 2013-02-09 11:00:43

Taylor McIntyre
Son of Ivy...

I agree with all of that.

As got said on the  Ivy-Style blog last night always look at who's saying what and wonder why they are saying it. Chens is selling ads which rely on the 'romantic' marketing of Ivy & all his other talking heads in his 'Rise & Fall' essay also have a vested interest in the romantic marketing too.

The only note that I'd offer to your post above is that the fashion industry created and promoted the university links - They were the industriy's clothes after all. The Industry used the campus connection to sell clothes. That's the way round the world of commerce works.

J. Press TOOK the Brooks style to the campus (to use but one example) - It starts with the clothiers, not the college kids.

... You can romanticise Ivy as much as you like if you have a grasp of the realities of the subject. If you are just buying into all the marketing hype then you are a thick dupe or know full well what you are doing and are doing it for your own advantage. Personally I love Ivy and like any meanigful love that means loving the reality of it.. Like the fact that its an incerdibly contrived and manipulated style of dress.

I just like how it looks. That's as much as it means to me. It's clothes.

Board footer