You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-12 15:51:37

Marc Grayson

Pics Raphael Seersucker Suit

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#2 2006-04-12 16:14:11

kenperes

Re: Pics Raphael Seersucker Suit

Stunning!

#3 2006-04-12 16:18:19

Cruz Diez

Wow! Very nice, Marc. While the pictures capture the suit's substance and style, I cannot tell what's the color of the fabric. Are the stripes blue, taupe, or other color?

Interesting that the cloth is Argentinian, (like Raphael himself?) Has Raphael talked to you about the Argentinian textile industry and sartorial tradition in general? I know their culture has a very strong Italian influence, more so than in other Latin America countries.

#4 2006-04-12 16:33:16

Incroyable

I seem to see a Roy Lichtenstein on the wall.

Actually, I believe the Argentine has a very British influence as well since they were unofficialy ruled by the British Club until Juan Peron.

Last edited by Incroyable (2006-04-12 16:42:51)

Jukebox Babe

#5 2006-04-12 16:37:16

Marc Grayson

Thanks for the positive feedback.  The coloration is beige and white stripes but I know the reproduction s-u-c-ks, so my apologies.   According to Raphael, the last remaining mills in America manufacturing 100% cotton seersucker cloth, which were based in North Carolina, were purchased by an Argentinian concern and evidently this mill is the only one in the world still making such cloth.  Most seersucker cloth has some polyester constituent. 

Marc

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#6 2006-04-12 16:54:19

Marc Grayson

#7 2006-04-12 17:08:48

padawan

#8 2006-04-15 20:47:22

Horace

A minor quibble with the aesthetic of the Great Grayson:  on suits made from seersucker and the like, and on sport coats (as pic'd in his previous threads), I prefer 3 buttons to four.  I'm not sure why -- maybe a hold over from my Press/Ivy days, but the sleeve looks too busy with four.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#9 2006-04-15 21:00:59

Marc Grayson

#10 2006-04-16 03:08:12

The_Shooman
A pretty face

l really like the suit alot too. Very nice indeed, it must look smashing on you.

#11 2006-04-17 05:18:07

Horace

Grayson: 

that's a swell looking coat there.   I agree that the four give a symmetry that three don't. 
And I really like two.  There's a pic of handsewn buttonholes on an old Brooks suit that is in the "Generation
of Style" book that Brooks had commisioned.  I like 2 buttons on a sleeve -- a sort of sporty look with a
suit.  I have some Brooks suits like this.   I've done four on some of my stuff (bespoke and MTM)
and I suppose it's just a matter of taste.   I've done 3 on my dinner jacket.  Andover uses four on a lot of its suits.
Three on its sport jackets.  I know that some Brits and Italians do one button for sport jackets.

I will venture, unreservedly, that four brass buttons on a sleeve of a blazer is horrible looking.  Blinding even.  Speaking of blazers,
Charlie Davidson of the Andover Shop once ventured (and I paraphrase) that if you wear a double breasted blazer, you often
come-off looking like some commodore phoney.  You've got those rows of brass, you see.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#12 2006-04-17 09:41:55

Napoleon

How often do you get to wear it? I would imagine there aren’t a lot of opportunities to wear seersucker.

#13 2006-04-17 11:22:48

Marc Grayson

Last edited by Marc Grayson (2006-04-17 11:31:39)

#14 2006-04-17 16:02:22

Hermes

This cloth reminds me of a similar seersucker that Sir Les Patterson (one of Ronald - aka The Shooman's - compatriots) views at the tailors in his documentary "The Great Chinese Takeaway" (on the Hong Kong Kong handover - see http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/s/sirlesandthegrea_7773750.shtml).

#15 2006-04-17 16:26:13

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#16 2006-04-17 17:25:28

maxnharry

Marc,

What a handsome suit!  Did Raphael source the fabric for you?

#17 2006-04-17 17:59:40

Marc Grayson

#18 2006-04-17 18:24:25

JimDandy

Mr. Grayson,

Would your tailor be Raphael as in Raphael Shwartz?  I've heard that name grumbled about by some colleagues.   Is yours the same tailor who has decided to re-educate a few hundred real estate lawyers on the subject of contracts and leases?  If so then good for you, Sir.  I can't laugh about him at work but his defiance gives me a good chuckle after work.

Nice suit, good to see that I am not the only wearer of seersucker still alive North of the Mason Dixon line.

#19 2006-04-17 18:36:36

Marc Grayson

#20 2006-04-17 19:13:36

JimDandy

Well it does appear the gent has character, as do his creations evidently.  My compliments on your impeccable taste.  I've been reading through a few of your threads with images and for what it might be worth I salute your eye.

Cheers,
Jim

#21 2006-04-17 19:25:48

Marc Grayson

#22 2006-04-17 21:53:48

BraceBack Mountain

Marc,

How do you find this suit holds up to dry cleaning and the general wear, grime and toil of summer? Did Raphael charge you any less to make this (presumably) cotton suit for you, or does it have the same amount of stitches as a regular wool suit?

#23 2006-04-17 22:47:56

The_Shooman
A pretty face

That seersucker suit would be great to wear on a nice sunny Sunday afternoon in the Spring. Great casual attire of a well dressed gentleman.

#24 2006-04-18 01:11:48

Hermes

#25 2006-04-18 04:23:56

Marc Grayson

Board footer