You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-15 08:05:46

Hal Jordan

Alternatives To Keydge Jackets?

A lot of posts on here about J Keydge - and they are a solution to the need for an unstructured lightweight summer sports coat. But the message from here seems to a mixed one - so are there alternatives?

Personally I prefer a khaki or olive Brooks wash and wear.

#2 2013-05-15 08:11:41

Russell...Street
By any other name...

Re: Alternatives To Keydge Jackets?

Faconnable?

Also French. Not as good as Keydge, though.

Got a black (yes) linen one from Chiltern Street last year for 40 quid. Nice beater jacket...

42R | 16.5/34 | 34/30 | US 10D/UK 9.5E
"Horses, horses... horseshit!"

“As honest as you can expect a man to be in a world where its going out of style.”  - Raymond Chandler

#3 2013-05-15 08:12:09

Oliver

I'm not sold on Keydge.

I'd prefer a vintage poplin sack or Brooks/Press Wash'N'Wear any day.

I have a killer Press that I picked up from Zach a few weeks ago, a '60s Brooks University Shop 3/2 sack suit in British tan, a 1950's charcoal grey/blue (amazing color!) 3/2 sack suit from Sears and and a 1950's blue and white pincord 3/2 poplin sack suit, so no need to bother with any Keydge. For roughly the same price, why not go for the Real McCoy?

#4 2013-05-15 08:37:30

Russell...Street
By any other name...

“As honest as you can expect a man to be in a world where its going out of style.”  - Raymond Chandler

#5 2013-05-15 08:43:38

Oliver

I'm all about unstructured jackets but the above are entirely unstructured as well (the Brooks and Press are half-lined) the others may well be shirts in disguise! I've never touched a Keydge in the flesh so can't comment on whether they are less heavyweight, but it's always seemed to me a current take on the vintage poplin sacks of old and for my money, I'd rather go to the source. I don't dislike them though, they look fine.

Of all the Keydge slacks I've seen, the only one that's really caught my eye is the tan/natural cotton offering at J.Simons. I think it's the materials and stitching details that haven't really appealed to me. The seersucker at JS is puke ugly imo. The cut and pockets are right but I think they could do better on the range of fabric.

Last edited by Oliver (2013-05-15 08:58:14)

#6 2013-05-15 08:58:18

Russell...Street
By any other name...

OK, I'm just a little puzzled by all these questions for alternatives.

Surely, vintage is the answer to most questions nowadays...

wink

#7 2013-05-15 09:37:22

Gentleman Jones

#8 2013-05-15 09:40:56

Thee Captain

Yeah people...stop looking for alternatives and buy a bleedin' Keydge for crying out?!?
They're nothing like the alternatives..
Alternatively...there's the French worker but not sure if this will be up the alley of you vintage purists...
But hey - It's 2013 Baby...

*Runs off and goes A over T in his V-cleats*

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#9 2013-07-08 02:34:50

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

The cotton ones are vastly improved by a machine wash and a round in the tumble dryer IMHO.

Criticisms: They are indeed lined - quite extensively in the front to facilitate the addition of two inside pockets. And this in fairly heavy cotton twill. Doesn't harm the looks but makes the jacket heavier and warmer than it need be.
The patch breast pocket is cut in an odd, asymmetrical shape.

Tips: Sizing one up in the cotton was right for me too, the shoulders would have been too tight otherwise. The current ones are just short enough to be worn as a 'short' size.
The sleeves can easily be shortened by half an inch - this makes the button placement nearer to vintage sacks, gets rid of the seam on the sleeve, and doesn't interfere with the (superfluous) working buttons. Pity they don't have a hook vent - I think the Press versions have this detail.

Thoughts: A madras jacket or a Brooks wash and wear - although not comparable - is lighter.

#10 2013-07-08 05:03:15

Senorservo2.0

Last edited by Senorservo2.0 (2013-07-08 05:04:07)

#11 2017-07-01 07:55:01

subliminal kid

I saw these at a Muji store today -

http://www.muji.es/moda-hombre/product92087

Pros: no darts, centre vent, patch pockets, 2-button cuffs
Cons: 3 button stance, lapels seemed a little on the skinny side, also looks quite short in the pictures

Not entirely convinced but I may be tempted to buy one if they go on sale

Board footer