You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-11 01:54:08

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

A Question for all the DJ's and Mixers in the House

Currently, I have my home being redesigned and my savings quickly absorbed by the grand schemes of Mrs Hep and a motley crew of Estonian builders who have shown an unnatural interest and knowledge of my whisky collection. Besides my dreams of owning a Defender once again being dashed and the missus refusing to have my framed jazz album cover collection (taken from Graham Marsh's books) on the living room wall, the one positive outcome of this whole disruption is that I will have my own music room. I have taken a fancy to buying a Pioneer digital DJ set-up:
http://pioneerdj.com/english/index.html

What I think may be a good idea and hobby, is to use these to spin jazz and sample modern and even swing time jazz to create a more interesting and involved music experience. I can’t read music or play a musical instrument, but it does appear that this kind of set-up will democratise the creation of music and give fans like me a way into the realm of musical creation, albeit however, contrived/false/digitalized/amateurish.

The question I ask of the DJ’s in the house, is this a dead-end whimsy of mine?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#2 2013-06-11 09:24:39

Yuca

Re: A Question for all the DJ's and Mixers in the House

Your objective seems to be to create sample-based music, using your jazz library.  Therefore I would suspect the above is not the best buy, as it is for DJing, albeit with lots of creative options.  (If you're hoping to get into DJing, you'd be better off using a laptop or vinyl.)  I know several people who make electronic music, and none of them use a DJing set up for anything other than DJing.

There must be a forum for people making music - they should be able to give you the best options, but it's software that you need.  And vast amounts of time.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#3 2013-06-11 11:23:12

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Thanks Yuca, well I am certainly am not interested or likely at my age have the dexterity to get into DJ'ing.

But those Pioneer certainly look the part, still I enjoyed researching it all when this site was down!

#4 2013-06-11 17:06:10

fxh
Big Down Under.

heppie - just download AUDACITY - its free and you can sample and then mix to your little frozen faux cloggie hearts content. Or do what I do make phone tones from obscure riffs or well known ones and load them on your phone.

As an example that silliness has no boundaries I have sampled Dandy Livingstone so that my phone when it has an SMS/TXT for me sings the phrase "Message for you"

#5 2013-06-14 11:02:46

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I am thinking of going the Pioneer CDJ 2000 Nexus route: this seems the ideal tool for someone who hasn't the time to learn beat breaking and all that mutha' loving DJ malarkey and wants instant kicks and something that will match beats between tunes seamlessly, plus an aesthetic appeal that is not loss on me.

#6 2013-06-14 20:32:05

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Play what you format you like Cat. But not in a club, if your not going to buy the "real" deal, FFS don't insult the artist and buy boots. And don't spin of a laptop in a club unless it's modern. Other fans of an older genre will think your a hoho and you'll never get gigs outside your local wine bar, let alone pack a night of your own.

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#7 2013-06-15 02:04:03

Yuca

Last edited by Yuca (2013-06-15 02:06:43)

#8 2013-06-15 02:11:11

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

#9 2013-06-15 02:11:28

Yuca

#10 2013-06-15 08:16:58

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

This is the future:

https://www.ableton.com/en/push/

Combined with the Live software, this is exactly what I need!

Board footer