You are not logged in.

#251 2016-04-08 09:34:59

Oliver

Re: The Ivy Sandwich ...

Makes sense as it's all immigrant food that originates from Eastern Europe. Matzo balls were probably coined from vaudeville or early American comedy routines, I'd assume. I've read that they were called knoedel by the Germans, Austrians and Alsatians that used them in soups. When Jews moved to Poland, they referred to them as knoedela. It wasn't until the Depression-era when the U.S. Manischewitz company started packaging and distributing them and they were originally called "Alsatian feathery balls" in the 1930's, according to a book that I have on the history of American delis.

#252 2016-04-08 10:46:02

Leer R.

Right, "eingemachte Knödel". That's it. Reindling is traditional Carinthian Christian Easter (=Pessah) food... Here in Austria many traditions and quite a bit of food is influenced by Eastern Europe (as a significant part of it was Austrian until 1919) and also Jewish influenced (although some Austrians might deny that wink).

#253 2018-05-14 09:13:56

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#254 2018-05-22 00:55:29

Horace

watercress with the ol' crusts cut off.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#255 2018-05-22 10:34:40

stanshall

/\  watercress sandwiches nicely trimmed are genteel and dainty teatime fare at 4:00 but the real Ivy sandwich action takes place late at night at the Buttery ......

doesn't matter which residential college you're in, there's a Buttery nearby to serve fried egg and cheese sandwiches at 1 am which really help students maintain their weight.

this is actually part of the bylaws of the place:

"The Butler, fhall be allowed to fell, in the Buttery, Cider, Metheglin, fmall and ftrong beer, and fuch other articles, as the Prefident fhall deem neceffary for the Students and permit in writing: But no permiffion fhall be granted for felling Wine or diftilled fpirits, or foreign fruits."

- from Chapter X.  Of the Butler.

I never ordered the Metheglin but this one girl who worked at the Moose never made me pay for anything so I fampled all her buttery wares ....

#256 2018-05-22 11:23:58

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#257 2018-06-20 21:11:51

stanshall

recent sandwiches:

ham, Swiss cheese, and lettuce on baguette with mayonnaise
chopped barbeque pork with orange mustard-based sauce on bun
hot Italian sausage parmigiana on toasted sesame grinder roll
open-faced peanut butter and blackberry jelly on white bread*
Nutella and raspberry jam on light toast
crispy bacon with tomato and mayonnaise on white toast*

ham and Swiss are pure Ivy while the baguette is both a nod to the glorious Franco-Ivy of mid-'60s Godard and Melville and '80s prep/yup materialism
barbeque is a Southern thing and there was definitely strong Ivy in the South, best exemplified by style stronghold Georgia Tech
hot Italian grinders with melted mozzarella and marinara sauce have been getting students through long cold winter nights on Northeastern campuses for 70 years
PBJ say no more
Nutella, it wasn't Ivy but as Austin says it's a bit nutty
bacon, tomato, and mayo rule, the L is the weakest link

#258 2018-06-20 21:19:23

stanshall

#259 2018-06-23 19:23:20

chatsworth osborne jr.

I was going to say ham and swiss with mayo, but I have been beaten to the punch.

#260 2018-06-27 13:23:58

stanshall

/\  good to see another ham and Swiss with mayo fan

sometimes I add a touch of mustard depending on the bread and style of sandwich but yeah mayo

#261 2018-06-27 13:30:32

stanshall

#262 2018-06-28 11:58:14

farrago
Ambassador Of Ivy

^
No lettuce? Iceberg lettuce has limited uses for me, but I have to have it with bacon and tomato. And in a few other gustatory applications...

#263 2018-06-28 14:40:53

stanshall

/\  I'm not down on lettuce, it's just that I always have bacon, tomato, white bread, and mayo on hand, whereas I sometimes forget to buy the greens .....

#264 2018-06-29 04:42:24

Thee Captain

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#265 2018-06-29 07:42:22

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I’ve been up North so I’ve got Black Sheep arse.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#266 2018-06-29 08:13:41

stanshall

#267 2018-07-22 12:18:18

stanshall

two outstanding sandwiches were made at home this past week, first was a crispy bacon, tomato, red English cheddar, and Branston pickle on light white toast with easy mayonnaise, and it really was ambrosial. 

second was a palomilla steak sandwich,, better known perhaps by its Spanish name "pan con bistec," which comprises a fresh Cuban roll, a pounded-thin piece of top sirloin, tomato, mayonnaise, hot sauce, lime juice, lettuce, and potato sticks.  After the steak is flash-griddled, the sandwich is assembled, pressed flat by placing a second cast-iron pan on top of it so that the Cuban roll flattens and becomes crisp, and finished by slicing it diagonally the long way.

In Cuban restaurants they use a large sandwich press, "la plancha," but at home we use the double cast-iron pan method which is frankly better.

#268 2018-07-22 17:09:10

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#269 2018-07-23 23:01:58

stanshall

--->  just destroyed a cheddar, Branston pickle, lime pickle with easy mayo on white toast sandwich with a glass of ice-cold chocolate milk, an awesome snack ....

I can guarantee that a bacon and egg sandwich is on the horizon tomorrow ... must think about whether to cheese it or not .....

also up will be another ribeye sandwich and an Italian sausage special .....

sandwiches are the perfect amount of food for me, whether it's a humble PBJ, a grilled cheese with bacon and tomato, or a monster Reuben, I'm good with it .....

biggest difficulty now is finding good rare roast beef, just reminded myself, I've got to find some, my go-to place closed, tragically, and Boar's Head doesn't begin to cut the mustard

got some ideas though

#270 2018-07-28 08:10:40

walker177

Last edited by walker177 (2018-07-28 08:11:37)

#271 2018-07-28 10:22:41

stanshall

/\  grilling outdoors is plenty Ivy, there are many great ads, illustrated and photographic, from the classic years, depicting families having barbeques in their back yards/gardens ......

and throwing some canvas deckies, striped bd, and walk shorts into the mix seals the deal

I know those are spriggy bits of rosemary strewn over the sausages and not lawn clippings

#272 2018-07-28 18:04:25

Treble Clef

What is the Ivy condiment of choice for the humble sausage/bacon sandwich or 'butty'? Irrespective, without reigniting an I**-S*** flame war, it has to be HP!

#273 2018-07-28 18:59:03

stanshall

/\  depends on the kind of sausage ... yesterday I griddled a banger until crusty and had it on a sandwich with a bit of HP, and though I know some people like tomato sauce (ketchup) on their bangers, that is all wrong for me .... of course some people don't like brown sauce (Yuca), which is sad for them .....

HP it is, according to me, for British sausages

one thing I do know is that Guardian readers will jump all over anybody who says he likes putting lime pickle on a banger sandwich, I remember reading an article on the subject and the comments attacking the guy who liked bangers with lime pickle were hilariously merciless.

other sausages, German and French for example, pair beautifully with various mustards, Italian sausages go nicely with giardiniera, hot cherry pepper spread, mostarda for the foodies, etc., so the flavor and the terroir should determine the accompanying condiment, naturally .... 

when I make bacon sandwiches, I'm using American bacon, that is, streaky bacon, and the condiment of choice is mayonnaise if a lunch sandwich and a bit of butter if a breakfast sandwich .....

to me, ketchup is anathema with pork  .....

#274 2018-07-28 19:25:05

Treble Clef

Nice. I would submit that HP is also the choice if thick cut (back) bacon (ideally smoked) is being used.

Lime pickle & sausage is an odd one though!

#275 2018-07-29 01:22:06

walker177

Board footer