You are not logged in.

#276 2018-07-30 11:29:34

mhalat

Re: The Ivy Sandwich ...

My time in England made me partial to a Northern, thick cut bacon sarnie with loads of brown sauce.

As for sausages - there are parts of the US where people get.......... passionate about what goes on a hot dog (mustard being the only suitable condiment). I'm thinking of Chicago in particular.

#277 2018-07-30 11:42:54

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#278 2018-07-30 11:45:19

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#279 2018-07-30 14:42:09

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#280 2018-08-06 09:36:11

stanshall

#281 2018-08-06 10:29:18

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#282 2018-08-06 10:54:53

stanshall

#283 2018-08-07 14:23:18

stanshall

put together a good one last night, homemade club sandwich on white toast with smoked turkey, smoked ham, bacon, tomato, Duke's mayo, and a slice of cheese, used only two slices of bread, this was one of the best sandwiches of the year and very old-school.  It was so pretty I wanted to snap a shot of it for you but I don't have a camera.

one day however I will get a camera on a phone and then I'll shoot some stuff for us to enjoy.

upshot: don't underestimate the club sandwich.  which doesn't need avocado on it by the way.

#284 2018-08-31 10:24:27

stanshall

ham and cheese croissant is not a sandwich

I need one anyway but don't want to be disloyal to the sandwich so maybe I'll have the croissant for breakfast and follow it with an immediate sandwich for lunch

we'll see, but regardless yesterday I had a very nice churrasco sandwich from a favored Argentinian restaurant, with good chips

they're french fries ... you didn't know that did you?  there's no chipping involved, they're sliced, then fried ....

malt vinegar is better on chips but ketchup is better on fries, why is that? yet vive la difference

upcoming homemade sandwich this weekend:

seasoned pan-grilled chicken breast paillard with Jamaican sauce on coco bread with secret vegetable fixins Irie Isle style

#285 2018-11-04 20:51:21

stanshall

recent roundup includes: oven-baked hot Italian sausage/melted mozzarella/roasted peppers on crispy sesame hoagie roll
                                      ham and Swiss cheese croissant
                                      Argentinian churrasco with chimichurri, lettuce, tomato on charred French bread
                                      split and grilled slightly burnt hot dog with Swiss cheese, Russian dressing, sauerkraut, crispy bacon
                                      shaved ham and Provolone with lettuce, mayonnaise, banana peppers, oil and vinegar on white sub roll
                                      chicken parmigiana on toasted sub roll

#286 2018-11-17 20:51:21

stanshall

Cuban roast pork sandwich adapted from the greatest Cuban cookbook ......

roast pork which had been patted down, stuffed, and encrusted with the spices, herbs and garlic and placed on the bed of onions with wine and mojo adobo with plenty of cilantro strewn about, came out perfectly and was sliced after resting and then placed back in the adobo wine sauce

first night was over rice with baked plantain chunks on the side

but last night I had a fresh Cuban roll and I made the sandwich, which I'd planned all along ...

I use the mayo, mustard, and pickle chips of the typical Cuban sandwich, and add the Cuban mojo roast pork, the adobo onions, and a sharp cheese which must remain secret, and instead of a press I use the double cast-iron pans method.   

it is pressed, crisped and then sliced a particular way, it's tangy, I'll have another one on Monday probably, when I'll have had time to pick up some potato sticks and maybe make some black beans too

how Ivy is it as a sandwich?  the Ivy quotient of the sandwich itself is low in that Cuban sandwiches were not really around the US except for Key West, Tampa, and Miami in the boom years, although the pre-Castro Cuban yacht club lifestyle portrayed and described in the cookbook was preppy in its tropical way, elegant rather than rumpled.

#287 2018-11-18 09:37:44

McGeorge Bundyburger

#288 2018-11-18 10:49:55

Treble Clef

London / City Workers will know this place does a decent sandwich

http://assenheims.com/The_Taste_Of_South_Ameican_Menu.html

#289 2018-11-18 12:15:22

stanshall

#290 2018-11-18 12:32:09

stanshall

I miss this old Italian market I used to go in NYC, , it was a butcher shop and an import grocery, I went there every other day for years, they made excellent meatballs in tomato sauce, homemade sausages, broccoli bread, eggplant bread, arancini, croquettes, monumental subs, a paradise.

pick up some of the freshly cooked meatballs, cross the street to the 100-year-old storefront bakery, get a couple of fresh crusty leathery sandwich rolls, maybe one with sesame seeds, you'd be better than good for three days ...

in college, on cold winter nights when the craving for marinara sauce and melted mozzarella would come on I would frequently go out at midnight and get a hot grinder or sub to bring back ...

this was part of campus culture, all those great Italian and Greek pizza places and sub shops in New England college towns, New Haven being the prime example

the late night grinder run was what sold me on down jackets

the winter clothes don't get too much use at the moment but they will rise again

meanwhile a couple of nights ago I made a nice batch of meatballs and San Marzano tomato sauce, put them up in a gigantic Mason jar to meld in the refrigerator

obtained a real crusty sub roll from the genuine expatriate Italian market that recently opened in the hood

later tonight I will make a true hot oven meatball grinder with parmigiano and mozzarella and it will be freshman year up in here

minus the freezing air that would pour through the loose crumbling putty holding the beautiful but dilapidated mullioned windows together

which is why I had to use two heavy wool LL Bean trapper blankets with stripes every night in the winter, one red blanket, one green

still have the red ones, where did the green blanket go?

there were some nights when we had run out of money ... this was back when there was only one ATM in town and it was a little far away from the dorm

that was when the creative toaster-oven cuisine would come in handy

wearing the red Duofold union suit and the Bean wool-lined slippers, waiting for the Stouffer's French bread pizzas to toast

#291 2018-12-17 12:39:16

stanshall

going to concentrate on sandwiches that rely less heavily on or avoid completely processed and cured meats

one certified Ivy classic that immediately comes to mind is the fried egg and cheese sandwich , which I used to get at the old Yankee Doodle sometimes for breakfast

there was only one dining hall that served good breakfast at my school and unless you were housed in that particular residence you were technically limited to dining there only a few times per month but the lunchroom ladies/gatekeepers were susceptible to flattery

I suppose I'll be checking out the uncured ham and bacon for nitrites etc. now, will report back, Ivy sandwiches suffer without them,

but grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches deliver and so does chicken salad ...

peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter and banana both would do the trick

meatball or eggplant parmigiana grinders too, cemented into the annals of Ivy over the course of countless late-night food runs down to York Street and Broadway for all four years

these days the kids eat lots of chicken tenders, I haven't gotten down with that, maybe it's irrational given that I like eggplant parmigian subs and those also entail a breaded filling on bread, but that's the way it is ....

tuna salad doesn't involve cured processed meats but I eased off tuna years ago, freshly carved roast turkey would fit the bill very well but the place that had it closed last year

must find some fresh turkey and solve this problem

#292 2019-01-07 12:12:08

stanshall

just knocked down a banger with some Yorkshire tea, simple but effective single-slice-of-bread breakfast sandwich ... sorry Brother Yuca but a bit of HP was involved ......

#293 2019-01-07 12:14:20

stanshall

enjoying a range of ham, turkey, and bacon made without nitrites, sandwich fears allayed, what beats a deluxe club sandwich?

#294 2019-01-07 12:39:09

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#295 2019-01-09 17:27:40

stanshall

#296 2019-01-09 18:35:37

Berkeley_Breathes

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#297 2019-03-21 23:13:43

stanshall

last night I got home from a mental party and managed to assemble a very nice sandwich as I was literally passing out: fresh hard Italian sub roll; uncured nitrate/nitrite-free Genoa salami; Italian provolone; Tuscan pepperoncini; crushed red pepper spread; drizzle of Italian olive oil; lots of oregano

washed down with a Mexican 7 Up in lieu of Foxon Park Gassosa

the Ivy sandwich is anything that one could and can find in a Northeast college town, my college town was famous for its Italian-American food, and Italian sub sandwiches and grinders were late-night staples .... New Haven's dives and funky eateries back in the day were second to none, I copped all their sandwich and short-order tricks, they were like classrooms to me, I really wish I could see those old guys one more time and thank them profusely for all that great food .....

Park Street Subs, Yankee Doodle Coffee Shop, so many others, there were some very talented sandwich and short-order wizards at work there, they got all my cash back then, seriously, that's what I spent my dough on, I let my friends spend their money on booze, I barely set foot inside the packie

inside the dining halls it was strictly PBJ or toasted cheese sandwiches, I could not eat the dining hall food, luckily it was always possible to rustle up PBJs and toasted cheeses, which would be supplemented by salad, yogurt, cereal, rice, ice cream, and chocolate milk

so naturally around midnight I'd be craving something hot with marinara sauce on it, or a steak bomb, or a hot grinder, or a bar burger and fries from Rudy's, or a souvlaki shish kebob pita from Mamoun's

#298 2019-03-21 23:24:27

stanshall

just remembered, Saturday had a phenomenal sandwich of tail-on fried yellowtail snapper on impeccably fresh soft Cuban roll (pan con minuta), dressed with chopped onions, tartar sauce, red Scotch bonnet hot sauce, lots of lime squeezed on, and a side of black-eyed pea fritters (bollitos de carita), and a Materva soda

one of my favorite places in town

it was an epic afternoon of eating that also included a campechano taco (pierna con chicharron) at the taqueria and a pastel de guayaba with a cortadito at the Cuban ventanita of choice

#299 2019-03-22 11:08:19

stanshall

to be fair there were a few things I could eat in the dining hall: tacos on taco night; old-school Chinese food, which was fried rice and chicken chow mein/chop suey; and roast turkey with stuffing.

Christmas dinner was a very good roast prime rib but that was only once a year of course.  it used to make me mad that they would only serve the decent stuff once a year.

There was one small residential college dining hall with a private endowment where you could get omelets made to order, but if you weren't a resident of that particular college (house) you could only eat there a few times a month, unless you sweet-talked the staff, which I always did, I needed those ham and cheese omelets.

some of the regular dishes back then were shockingly horridious: bluefish, I'm looking at you.  the scrod was very rough too.

if you've ever seen the Chevy Chase movie Nothing But Trouble, set in the mythical Valkenvania, you might remember a ghastly dinner scene involving some quivering hot dogs; that's what frankfurter night was like at Yale '78-'82.

there were some other really bad dishes, nightmarish in fact, but I'm saving those for the memoir.  cinnamon toast was one of my best friends when I was in college.

#300 2019-03-25 07:53:58

mhalat

Board footer