You are not logged in.

#301 2019-03-25 08:17:08

stanshall

Re: The Ivy Sandwich ...

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#302 2019-03-25 08:56:32

stanshall

I need to do some research using New Haven telephone books circa '78-'81 to discover the actual name of a phenomenal sandwich shop that used to be on State Street near the Polish Catholic church, its sign read only "Good Coffee Sandwiches," I don't think we ever knew its name .....

I think I posted about the place before, all they served were freshly made in-house carved to order roast beef, ham, and turkey sandwiches on bulkie rolls or rye bread, and they also had excellent homemade pies ....

everything they made was of the highest quality, two or three older ladies ran the place, I loved it so much that I wrote a paper about it for an architectural history class

I tried everything on the short menu and it was all supernal but it was almost impossible not to order the rare roast beef sandwich, we were devoted to it, one of my roommates wanted to go there every single day for the roast beef and he dedicated his life to recreating it but has been unable to duplicate it, though some of his efforts have been quite good

in fact I would have eaten there every day but we didn't always have cash in those days, things were arranged and pre-paid so that cash was not absolutely necessary for daily college life

all my cash went for snacks and concert tickets and road trips

when there was no cash at all for late-night snacks we would avail ourselves of the buttery (British: A room, especially in a college, where food is kept and sold to students), each college had its own buttery with its own specialties, and our friends were in charge of our buttery, so they gave us stuff, all the butteries specialized in weird things like grilled hot dogs with cheese on a toasted bagel, or simple grilled cheese, or fried egg and cheese, whatever could be made on a two-burner hot-plate ...

these are some of the most Ivy sandwiches of all time, the butteries at Yale were established long before the United States of America existed

#303 2019-03-31 23:36:33

stanshall

#304 2021-09-15 03:04:05

A Fine Sadness

Silly but fun.  Pastrami with a smear of horseradish.  These fuckabout deli sandwiches can be quite tasty but are about the price of a decent pair of Falke socks from the box at 'Zebra'.

Board footer