You are not logged in.

#26 2013-08-01 07:03:53

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Re: The Ivy Moth Hole ?

A certain quality of sepia or aged patena is earned through the provenance of time: neon nylon tracksuits and superluminova of modern Rolexes cannot compete in this market segment.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#27 2013-08-01 07:13:19

fxh
Big Down Under.

I spend hours making sure nothing I  wear looks too new and yet looks smart and not scruffy, clean  but not pristine,  worn but not worn out, relaxed but not uncaring, etc etc.

Its a hard life.

#28 2013-08-01 08:21:15

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I don't know about wearing clothes with holes in them but I do like stuff that has been mended. in a throwaway world there's something very satisfying about a long serving item that wears or breaks but is then fixed and carries on with a fresh lease of life.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#29 2013-08-01 08:43:20

Oliver

I have a few 50s madras jackets with some moth pinholes around the shoulders and it's hardly noticable but just looks well worn. My favorite Pendleton shawl collar bathrobe has been chewed up at the hem pretty badly too, but I still wear it every day without second thought! For a guy with a closet full of vintage wools, moths are my worst nightmare but I can still stand a bit of wear and tear.

Last edited by Oliver (2013-08-01 08:44:00)

#30 2013-08-01 09:05:18

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#31 2013-08-02 14:36:30

stanshall

Last edited by stanshall (2013-08-02 14:53:55)

#32 2014-09-04 15:48:50

Oliver

#33 2014-09-04 17:03:18

stanshall

mothball your closets?  freeze all your woolens for a few days?  rent a commercial deep freeze or a meat truck for a week or a month?  all of the above?

don't let the moths win, send the holey pants out for reweaving .....

good luck, chin up, maybe something in this article will help:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/garden/28fix.html

#34 2014-09-04 17:29:17

Oliver

Thanks Stan, I'm steaming everything in my closet... this is gonna take forever and I'm crossing my fingers there's nothing else. I know exactly why this happened and I could kick myself for being so stupid. I left a pile of vintage crap that I was too lazy to sort through right nearby the pants and they were dusty and gross. I should have just thrown them away or dumped them in a charity bin. Now I need to find a good seamstress to reweave the crotch and a few other spots. I used to send all my stuff to Darcy and she'd forward them to her friend in New Hampshire who does all the clothing for Boardwalk Empire. I wish I still had that connection!

#35 2014-09-04 18:31:59

Worried Man

Bastard moths!  Sorry to see that.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#36 2014-09-04 18:46:44

fxh
Big Down Under.

Index » Talk Ivy » Any Trouble With Moths?
http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=9106

#37 2014-09-04 19:27:42

Oliver

#38 2014-09-04 19:59:42

Worried Man

I had some reweaving work done on a herringbone jacket and you can't see any sign of the repairs.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#39 2014-09-04 20:19:44

Oliver

Phew, that's promising! Was it as large a hole or tear as mine and was it really expensive?

Darcy's seamstress used to do it all on the cuff, I guess because she gave her a lot of business. I never brought anything in for seam work on my own. Luckily, this is a really dark brown herringbone and it's in a place *most people won't be staring at (*unless I'm partying with thee captain!) so it should work out. Still sucks though!

I'm working my way through the remaining 25% of my closet... so far so good, but I've got some old heavy flannel shirts and robes that I'm dreading pulling down! I think all my other suits and jackets are safe though.

#40 2014-09-04 22:42:13

Oliver

So I found the culprit! I discovered a dead moth in my cedar sweater box on top of all things, an acrylic cardigan. The coward died before I had a chance to tear it's wings off and grab my zippo. Strangely, aside from the one pair of trousers, I haven't found any other evidence of moths and I've worked through all the heavy wool, flannels, tweeds, knitwear, etc. I'm now about 75% through but had to stop because my steamer was causing condensation to drip off the ceiling! I had to cover the teak bar with a towel. I'm not sure what to make of this... is it possible that single bastard moth that I found somehow managed to eat a giant hole through my suit trousers on it's own? I was certain there must've been an infestation but I've swept, dusted, vaccumed, mopped ad nauseum, turned my closet into a steam sauna, and so far I've found zero evidence. I even have a few large jacket lengths of Harris tweed folded up on the top shelf that hasn't been touched for 2 years and it's moth free, as far as I can tell.

#41 2014-09-04 23:23:26

Joey

Oliver, I'm pretty sure I heard that adult moths actually aren't the ones that eat clothes. They find a nice tweed jacket or something to lay their eggs in and the larvae chew through the wool when they hatch. So I bet that moth laid some eggs but if it was already dead and there were no other signs, then maybe it only got to the one pair of trousers and the babies are (hopefully) long gone!

Going back to the original discussion, someone mentioned something about 99.9% of people thinking you just had holy clothes. I'd actually wager that the real number is a lot smaller than that. Unless the holes are egregiously huge and/or in quite a conspicuous location, I bet most people wouldn't even notice.

I think the authentic look is one of apathy when concerning moth holes. A typical, real college student (speaking as a contemporary one) doesn't concern himself with moth holes. He doesn't notice them and he doesn't have elaborate methods of preventing them. A kid at an Ivy League school in the golden age knew what to wear and how to wear it, but I feel like most didn't spend time to meticulously care for their daily clothes. That's the essence of the lived-in, devil-may-care nature of the Ivy League "uniform." With that in mind, the Ivy League student, when confronted with moth holes (or any holes, for that matter), would most likely either not notice or not care, at least until the clothing became entirely unwearable.

Whether we continue this practice today is up to us as individuals. I thrifted a nice heavy PRL sport coat a month or so ago. I later noticed a small moth hole on the sleeve. The jacket is a dark brown so I got some brown thread and sewed the hole up. For a $10 jacket, that's about as much as I'm willing to put into repairing it. I imagine a Yalie in the sixties might respond in a similar way.

Now, if you have a job that requires a jacket and tie, there's probably a less room for the "creativity" of damaged clothing than there is for a student or someone else wearing the style casually.

#42 2014-09-04 23:38:26

Oliver

You're right about the larvae, Joey. I did know that but oddly, I discovered the moth on an acrylic cardigan in my sweater box with no signs of damage to any of my sweaters and the trousers weren't even sitting nearby. I guess it's possible that moth traveled around my apartment and made my sweater box it's final resting place. That kind of worries me that there may be more moths lurking around someplace else. I have a question - is it better to keep your closet sealed off so that nothing creeps in or is open and well ventilated the better way to go? I think I'm gonna start storing all of my suits and jackets in garment bags going forward.

#43 2014-09-04 23:54:40

Moose Maclennan
Ivy Inspiration

Moths eating Madras fancied an Indian.

#44 2014-09-05 01:25:29

fxh
Big Down Under.

Oli - everything you need to know about moths is on that other moth thread I bumped oli.

#45 2014-09-05 01:33:30

fxh
Big Down Under.

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcmoths_beetles.htm

#46 2014-09-05 05:56:29

Worried Man

Oliver, the reweaving entailed one larger hole (not really sure how large it was in reference to the one in your picture, but maybe a bit smaller) and then about 4 or 5 more smaller holes peppered all over the back of a herringbone tweed. I want to say it was around $75 - $100. Not exactly cheap, but in my opinion well worth it for an otherwise nice and well fitting tweed jacket that didn't cost much in the first place.  Repairs are invisible under scrutiny.

#47 2014-09-05 07:17:49

stanshall

#48 2014-09-05 07:18:59

stanshall

#49 2014-09-05 07:47:24

Oliver

#50 2014-09-05 07:49:24