You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Wrangler Beater Jeans - Some Help Please!

#26 2013-10-21 13:53:55

doghouse

Re: Wrangler Beater Jeans - Some Help Please!

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#27 2013-10-21 13:59:29

Worried Man

Rigid Indigo, Doghouse. 

Comparing them to that picture on my monitor, they're a little darker, but close.  That's probably how mine will look after another 3 or 4 washes I'm guessing.  And... NICE ASS!

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#28 2013-10-21 14:03:02

Oliver

#29 2013-10-21 14:03:49

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#30 2013-10-21 14:07:03

Oliver

Did you tear that leather patch off that ass pocket?

#31 2013-10-21 14:12:09

Don

13MWZ FTW.

Had them tapered to 7 1/4" and they shrunk a bit, so they're no-break without needing to roll.
The blue's a bit garish and doesn't go with everything like a pair of raw, indigo Lee's or Levi's. But, the rockabilly-Ivy cool they exude can't be beat.

#32 2013-10-21 14:17:22

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#33 2013-10-21 14:18:29

Worried Man

#34 2013-10-21 14:27:46

Sidewinder

I was a 501 man for 30 years when, on a whim, I tried some 13MWZs on in a cowboy store in Texas in 2007. I was converted! Higher rise, great comfort in the fit, construction that emphasises the straight leg and an outlandishly tough and sturdy denim. True, the indigo fade is different from the darker in-vogue 'raw' vibe that's so ubiquitous, but actually now I really like it. It has the Kodachrome quality of old National Geographics and looks great with turn-up contrast. I found a place that is currently doing them for $19.00, amazingly good value.
They are a classic jean, unchanged since the 60s and deserving of the kind of respect the 501 always gets.

Last edited by Sidewinder (2013-10-21 14:28:17)

#35 2013-10-21 14:46:24

Worried Man

Great assessment Sidewinder. 

Oliver, I bought the 30 x 32.  The measurements are, well, 30 x 32.  My next pair I'll go down a waist size, as I got the 30 expecting some shrinkage.  They do shrink on washing, but they do stretch back out with wear, especially as I do a lot of bending, crouching, sitting, walking, dancing, and I use these when performing my mime routine as well.  So there you have it.

#36 2013-10-21 15:10:00

Tomiskinky

Oliver, I would go for the rigid denim, you get a much better patina from the denim as it cracks and folds to your frame, much better than a rinsed denim, I have both and the rinse is somewhat easier on the gents jewels - but the patina on raw rigid denim is worth the minor discomfort imo.

#37 2013-10-21 15:14:17

Sidewinder

Completely agree about going for the rigid denim. The prewashed effect is not very nice. Seriously, these 13MWZs will last up to ten years and the fade becomes a thing of beauty. Wear the heck out of them and enjoy the fun of breaking them in like it used to be before the raw-denim nazis took over wink

#38 2013-10-21 15:56:01

Oliver

Thanks fellas, amazingly enough the order shipped already (within 2 hours of placing it!) so I went ahead and ordered the rigid too. For $21... why not! Got it shipped free of charge and will send the prewashed right back when they turn up.

Don, just curious but did you have them tapered from the knee down? I guess there's no worry about selvedge on these cheapies.

Looking forward to receiving them! I hope the size works out.

#39 2013-10-21 16:09:21

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#40 2013-10-21 16:22:03

Oliver

This is turning into the Ranch Talk forum!

#41 2013-10-21 16:26:05

Oliver

#42 2013-10-21 16:49:20

Sidewinder

Thanks Stanshall & WM!
Don't get me wrong, I still wear STF 501s, always will. Just the standard Levi's, non of that 'vintage' stuff. I started wearing them in the late 70s because they were cheap, down to the fact that at that time in Liverpool flares were still holding out and most lads couldn't be bothered with the weird button fly and so usually you could still find USA 501s (still selvedge then) in the department stores like Owen & Owen, Lewis's and Blacklers. First pair in '78 cost fifteen quid in the summer sale at Owen & Owen.
Before that I wore either the local merseyside denim made by Flemings or a little later, early-mid 70s, US Dickies which had started coming in to the Army & Navy stores. Incredible tough jeans which faded beautifully.
That's why when I went with the Wrangler 13MWZ a few years ago it was like going back to childhood denim days. They have that hefty construction which reminds me of summer holidays watching Robinson Crusoe and Belle & Sebastian and long days marauding around the Liverpool suburbs on our Raleigh Choppers!
Every pair of 501s I've ever bought has always been different from the pair before. Kind of fun but also kind of frustrating, the cut is always being altered to varying degrees. With the 13MWZ it's reassuring to have exactly the same pant as the one before! All that will change is the life history imprinted in their fade.

#43 2013-10-21 17:54:50

Worried Man

When I first received mine I submerged them in scalding hot water and let them soak for a few hours.  Then I just continued the wash cycle.  I always let them air dry.  I wanted to not wash them for a long time to see what they'd end up like, but they just get really filthy at work, so I have to wash them.  I should order another pair and do the wash one time only experiment. 

Oliver, I've worn mine with my desert boots a few times and haven't noticed any dye transfer to the boots.  But this was after a few washings. 

I hope everyone ordering is happy with them. 

MOUNT UP BOYS!!

#44 2013-10-21 19:27:50

stanshall

#45 2013-10-21 19:42:30

stanshall

#46 2013-10-21 20:17:02

Senorservo2.0

#47 2013-10-21 20:45:45

Worried Man

I got the regular fit 13MWZ.  I think Oliver was going to get the 936DEM slim fit.  They're both called "Cowboy Cut".  13MWZ Regular, 936DEM Slim.  The regulars 13MWZ are pretty slim.  The other day at work the UPS delivery guy called me "TJ".  When I asked him what the hell that meant, he said "Tight Jeans".

#48 2013-10-21 21:01:53

Oliver

Thanks for the measurements man, I've put on a few pounds this year, so I'm not even sure what my current waist size is but denim's usually pretty pliable so I think I'll be good. I've read that the slim cut is almost identical to the standard cowboy cut but just a touch narrower in the seat and thigh. From photos I've seen, only marginally so. I wouldn't worry about getting skinny jeans! Check out the photos on Shelper's (currently on sale 'till the end of the day so be quick!) - I personally prefer the look of the 936 from what I see on their site...

Original:
http://www.sheplers.com/Wrangler-Jeans-13MWZ-Original-Fit-Rigid/5498.pro?&relationType=topSell&cross-sell=true

Slim:
http://www.sheplers.com/Wrangler-Jeans-936-Slim-Fit-Rigid/4380.pro?parentCategoryId=447&categoryId=210&subCategoryId=211

#49 2013-10-21 21:03:37

Oliver

Does anyone know why those midwestern rodeo guys pleat their jeans like that btw?

It makes them look like total doofuses.

#50 2013-10-21 21:09:40

Worried Man

Yeah.  There is an apparent difference in those two photos.  Next time I'm in the cowboy store I'll try on some of the 936 model.  I do want to maybe get one or two of the prewashed colors...

http://www.sheplers.com/Wrangler-Jeans-936-Slim-Fit-Prewashed-Colors/1995.pro?parentCategoryId=1&categoryId=15&subCategoryId=31

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Wrangler Beater Jeans - Some Help Please!

Board footer