You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-10 05:57:46

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

The “aren’t I important because I have met a celebrity asshole thread”

There is a bit of commotion on Talk Ivy at the moment concerning certain posters name dropping their minor celeb buddies.
I thought it might be an opportunity to recount how obnoxious these creatures really are.

So for starters an eclectic mix

I once told Sir Anthony Qualye that he was a pompous arsehole (pompous mug).

I was stood next to a pal when Sir Winston Churchill’s Grandson also named Winston Churchill uttered those famous words
“Don’t you know who I am” his jaw hit the ground when my pal said "no, now F**k off".(arrogant Mug)

I recounted a while back Danny Dyer walking around a supermarket pushing a shopping trolley, telling anyone who would listen
That he was off his head on Charlie.(super king of mugs)

And lastly many years ago in the wag club I had to man handle George Michael who thought his celebrity status meant he could push his
Way in front of me at the bar.(very camp mug)

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#2 2013-11-10 06:14:14

TheExpandingMan

Re: The “aren’t I important because I have met a celebrity asshole thread”

While tending bar at a hotel I once sold a cheeseburger and three beers to Carmine Appice, erstwhile drummer for Ozzy Osbourne, Ted Nugent, Vanilla Fudge and Rod Stewart.

Unfortunately, he was a pretty nice guy, so I can't really contribute a 'celebrity asshole' story, unless you consider someone who eats cheeseburgers and drinks beer at a little after ten in the morning to be an asshole.

#3 2013-11-10 06:16:51

Bop

No...that's normal

#4 2013-11-10 07:50:33

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#5 2013-11-10 08:06:55

Sammy Ambrose

Spoke to Lord Longford in Downing Street once.

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#6 2013-11-10 08:55:11

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I had a good conversation with Bryan Ferry and his manager on a Monday night in Ipanema, he was coming out of my regular Saturday night seafood restaurant and I was walking up from my Monday night Nandos type canteen in my orange shorts and black Lacoste. We had a good chat about his interest in 1920s jazz and his manager, who I think was German, recognised my accent as being South Wirral.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#7 2013-11-10 09:11:30

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#8 2013-11-10 09:39:25

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#9 2013-11-10 09:52:43

TheExpandingMan

#10 2013-11-10 10:47:27

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#11 2013-11-10 11:08:16

Yuca

Last edited by Yuca (2013-11-10 11:09:47)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#12 2013-11-10 11:10:05

Yuca

Clues:

Doin it in the park, doin it after dark. Oh yeah.

All my friends . . . know the lowrider . . .

some sort of banal legitimacy

#13 2013-11-10 11:46:10

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Rocking traditional, current and classic Italian Ivy since 2011.

#14 2013-11-10 12:14:51

Worried Man

#15 2013-11-10 12:24:37

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Craig Sibson and I used to hang out a bit back in the day. Thats Tony Sibsons bro, but they didn't get on to good back then. I also used to go out quite a bit with Gary Linekers step sister, Sara. Danny Townsend is a good friend of mine, thats Sue Townsend's son. You know, the woman who wrote Adrian Mole. But their all nice people. I've lived quite a lucky life I guess.

I ain't got a clue who that bloke is WM?

#16 2013-11-10 12:32:21

Worried Man

I can't believe you don't recognize the American professional wrestler Stone Cold STEVE AUSTIN!!!!   Like I said, I had no idea who he was either.

#17 2013-11-10 12:48:33

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

Oh, right.

Other famous people I know are Gok Wan. Yeah, me and Gok hung out in the same crew back in the Rave days. He was a right fat bastard, but a nice guy. My mate Reedy used to play drums with The Fun Loving Criminals, hairdresser by trade. Not gay though. Gok is, not that I've done him. My old next door neighbours daughter, Sharron Perry won the Miss Blaby tittle around 1980. I had a few chucks over her as a young un I don't mind admitting.

#18 2013-11-10 13:08:18

Goodyear welt
Ivyist At Large

How can I forget Richard Smith, top bloke. Richard was the local kid come good who played for Leicester City FC. Til he got bombed out to Grimsby Town after an incident when his car got wrote off after a night out on E. £40 000. Good player, maybe a yard off the pace in the Premier if I'm honest. Through Richard I got quite pally with Iwan Roberts, Wales international. Great guy. Very good tennis player I recall. He used to run the line for the pub team I played for Sunday mornings, Richard managed us. Good team, I was mainly on the bench. When Richard left for Grimsby I became manager. Happy times. I think my life would make a great film.

I also remember Richard was a fair batsman and wicket keeper, he played for Broughton in the South Leicestershire league and I played for Whetstone. Good standard of cricket.

#19 2013-11-10 14:04:32

Dudley Clarke

I once saw Robert Morley in a cab in Marylebone Road.

I came up to see her sometimes.

#20 2013-11-10 14:14:16

Worried Man

I was helping run a convention one time and a lot of the people in town for it were staying in a swank downtown hotel.  I had to go pick some people up and while I was waiting in the lobby The Cure's Robert Smith walked right past me and out the front door.  He looked ghastly.

#21 2013-11-10 14:26:32

Bop

I saw Toby Anstis in Westfields last week.

#22 2013-11-10 16:22:30

TheExpandingMan

#23 2013-11-10 20:25:23

Worried Man

The hip hop / pop star Usher almost hit me after making an illegal U-turn in his huge Range Rover.

#24 2013-11-11 21:00:27

stanshall

I love reading these stories, they're excellent .... good times ..... one of the amusing fringe benefits of living in cities .....

Re Carmen Appice: there's a good tale about him in the excellent book by former Mar-Key Don Nix, Road Stories and Recipes .... Nix produced the Beck, Bogert & Appice LP .....

sorry I posted about meeting Don Letts what seems like a lifetime ago, thought it was harmless but that thread turned into a shitstorm  .... never get out of the boat .....

... my favorite was Paul Warfield back in the early '70s ....

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#25 2013-11-11 21:20:23

Patrick

I fished the Rio Grande gorge around Taos, N.M. with John Nichols, author of "The Milagro Beanfield War." He got a little bent when I outfished him on his home turf but beer and whiskey smoothed that out. That was about 20 years ago. We've kept in touch, sporadically.

Some friends of mine at Georgetown university were playing Ultimate Frisbee when Rob Lowe walked by. He was making one of those Brat Pack flicks, "The Breakfast Club" perhaps. He asked if he could play and added, "I'm Rob Lowe." My friend said "Big deal. I'm hung low." After this dazzling repartee they let him play. He was okay.

I observed John McEnroe being a dick at a party in New York in the late 1980s. He was under the impression he was a guitar god because he had figured out the barre chords for the "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" arrangement of "Sympathy for the Devil." Kept playing it over and over, minus the little Steve Cropper riff at the end of the fourth measure. Putz. Bald, too.

We have some celebs around here. They're fine; they generally want to be left alone. Local busybodies try to get them to show up at the Hiram Snodgrass Memorial Hot Dog Festival (fundraiser) or some similarly scaly event. If the celeb shows, they have to endure genteel but persistent ass-kissing. If they don't, nasty whispering ensues.

I think being a celebrity would be mighty tedious after a while. The money probably helps.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

Board footer