You are not logged in.

#376 2021-11-28 08:35:57

Yuca

Re: Unexpected Ivy in movies

I saw Laurel Aitken live in Nottingham in around 1998. He put on a pretty good show (no surprise).

some sort of banal legitimacy

#377 2021-11-28 09:47:36

SenorBlues

Lucky man. There are a handful of gigs that I cherish, mostly at the Camden Jazz Cafe, by people that I caught just before they left us.

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#378 2021-11-28 15:33:29

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

No, pork pie is the correct term for any flat crown. Except maybe for boaters.

They usually have narrow brims but they can also be a bit wider brim or pretty stingy ones.

The ultra small brim hats, Trilby, Pork Pie etc … were nicknamed Blue Beat hats in the UK. Some of them were Homburg hats with a cut off brim. That’s a stiff hat. Not nice.

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#379 2021-11-28 23:53:07

RobbieB

The trilby Frank Sinatra hat was very popular round my way, late 1969 amongst 16/17/18 year olds but it only lasted about 3 months and then was gone. Top quality hats not seaside specials. Worn with non ivy made to measure mohair (not tonik) suits. Didn't see the look elsewhere 
Pork pie hats worn on trips to the seaside (not kiss me quick hats)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#380 2021-12-02 04:47:05

A Fine Sadness

'Working Girl'.  Watched it last night.  A feelgood movie from 1988, featuring the yummy Melanie Griffith and Harrison Ford wearing a cracking green scarf (not especially 'Ivy', I grant you but still nice) and glimpsed in a plain-looking sweatshirt.  Elsewhere, re male clothing, where would the suits, shirts, shoes and ties have come from in Manhattan circa 1987? 
Mike Nichols again.  A great, not prolific, director.

#381 2021-12-03 04:53:33

A Fine Sadness

'Young Frankenstein'.  Not the movie itself but the interview after with the producer.  A denim shirt with what look like wool trousers.  You can't quite tell because he keeps one leg crossed over the other.  But it's a relaxed look and might be worth trying.

#382 2021-12-04 09:24:21

SenorBlues

I got a pair of Italian-made Donegal tweed trousers from JS a few years back. Wouldn't have been a first choice, but were knocked down to clear so I gave them a shot. Turned out to be lovely trousers, and indeed pair well with soft denim or chambray shirts. Can only be worn a day or so without pressing though, or else they slouch into a shapeless mass.

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#383 2021-12-04 09:40:08

A Fine Sadness

Sounds excellent, SB.  I'm tempted.

#384 2021-12-06 03:34:55

A Fine Sadness

TV instead.  Having watched the first two series of 'Hill Street Blues' (Alvey and Yuca are also keen), we found it difficult to buy 3 and 4 so have, for the time being, switched to 'NYPD Blue'.  We used to catch it late-night back in 1997 (I'd guess) when the youngest daughter was due her midnight bottle. 
As Yuca pointed out elsewhere, Ray in 'Hill Street Blues' may well be sporting Brooks button-downs.  Henry looked pretty Ivy to me, at least in some respects, with his bow ties and sleeveless jumpers. 
Now, in the first few episodes of 'NYPD Blue' we have a young Jewish lawyer who has the hots (perfectly understandably) for Kelly's estranged wife.  Good glasses, button-down...  but is it Ivy/Preppie/neither?  I think it may be a touch too neat (but, then, he is a professional).  Where would a guy like that be buying his clothes in New York in the mid-90s?

#385 2021-12-07 15:14:11

A Fine Sadness

Again, 'NYPD Blue'.  Martinez - not Ivy but he does sport a rather desirable woollen varsity jacket.

#386 2021-12-09 15:00:56

A Fine Sadness

More full-on Ivy or Prep - from what we see of him - rather cool black actor, Clifton Powell, playing an architectural student.  Crew neck with (probably) button-down beneath, something a little more sporty later on.  Good spectacles, too.
Detective Medavoy in what could be a pink Brooks button-down.

#387 2021-12-09 15:45:16

Runninggeez

@AFS, the Weejun posted on IG today, David Janssen in what he described as full on 70's Ivy in the detective show Harry O. All episodes on YouTube apparently.

#388 2021-12-10 01:07:13

A Fine Sadness

I wish we could get The Weejun back on here.

#389 2021-12-10 03:53:28

A Fine Sadness

Thanks, R.  I'll be taking a look. 
Most of the clothing in 'NYPD Blue' is pretty bad, so that a decent look stands out.  I don't know if Clifton Powell will be seen again.  The viewer gets no sense of him wearing the clothing for any hi-falutin' political reasons but because he's studying architecture and its maybe what some of the others wear.  See Dennis Franz, though, for a kind of 'anti-Ivy' look.  Those shirts!

#390 2021-12-20 03:13:36

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned here before, but we watched A Single Man last night. The central character, played by Colin Firth, is an Englishman working as a college professor in 1962 L.A. The theme is a gay chappie grieving over the death of his long term partner, but there’s nothing explicit on view that might cause a committed hetero to hit fast forward or go out to make a cup of tea. Firth does wear what appears to be a tab collar and a natural shoulder suit in much of the film but he’s not overtly Ivy. Naturally he’s ideal for the eternal role of an impeccably mannered Englishman not quite fitting in with the easy going nature of American society. His students outfits are interesting in the campus scenes but the overall pleasure of the movie are the sets, the houses, the cars and the recreation of living near the beach in 1960s Los Angeles. It’s available free on IDMB which we found on our smart TV recently.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#391 2021-12-20 03:53:38

A Fine Sadness

Sounds better than what we're currently watching, which is Series Two of 'NYPD Blue'.  I've found myself, even whilst eyeing some of the ladies in their nakedness, thinking about, say, some obscure aspect of graphic design. 
Fancy: 'We've got a homicide'. 
Martinez: 'We'll get straight onto it, Lieu'.
My wife (who is rather deaf): 'I thought his name was Arthur, why's he calling him Lou?' 
Simone: 'You're going to confess, you scumbag, else you're going into the system'. 

Hard going.

#392 2021-12-20 03:58:10

A Fine Sadness

As for gayness, I'm not bothered.  Some of my best friends etc. etc.  But Woke I do not do, not for anyone. 
I feel enormous sympathy for some of the black actors: 'FFS, I'm going to be playing some crack-addict dirtbag again?  Get the fuck outta here'.
'But, honey, think of the pay check'.
'Uh...  okay...'

Signs on dotted line.

#393 2021-12-21 15:56:11

A Fine Sadness

The John Irvin character has a rather nice, preppie look about him.  There's a shirt I especially liked the look of.

#394 2021-12-22 15:05:33

AlveySinger

Really surprised you're not loving NYPD Blue as it was created by Steve Bochco. I remember back in the day being addicted to it.

#395 2021-12-22 15:35:57

A Fine Sadness

The first series was good but the second feels a little like soap opera with guns.

#396 2021-12-23 05:03:46

A Fine Sadness

It also has too strong a whiff of political correctness about it and is an unwelcome reminder of how the English have adopted modern American idioms.  'I'm good'.  'Reaching out'.  Somebody being on their fucking 'vaccine journey'.  'Hey!'  Along with this nonsense has come a lack of restraint, politeness, agreeing to disagree.

#397 2021-12-23 05:04:53

A Fine Sadness

'Woke' I do not do.

#398 2022-01-04 04:22:17

A Fine Sadness

Last evening, Joel McCrea in Hitchcock's 'Foreign Correspondent' spent much of the movie wearing a button-down with no discernible roll to the collar.
Also Jerome Cowan, towards the end of 'Mr.Skeffington', wearing a rather nice sack suit (I assume: the movie is in black and white). 
Both films released 1942/43.

#399 2022-01-31 04:59:07

AFS

Joel McCrea again, this time in a comedy with the sublime Jean Arthur.  Again wearing a button-down throughout.  The film was released around the same time as 'Foreign Correspondent'.  Every male of course is wearing a hat, suit and tie, hefty lace-ups.  What would you call that look?  'American gentleman'?  They often wear raincoats or trenchcoats.  Trousers rather on the baggy side.  The break?  Sometimes looks odd to me - but no puddling.  But they really do look American.  Watch a British movie from around the same period and you'll notice the difference.

#400 2022-07-13 08:25:05

Staxfan

Currently on Sky Arts - ' Alfred Hitchcock Presents', I've watched 2 of these short dramas, recorded in 1955 in the USA, ropey stories but in the 1st episode the female lead wears a very volumous b/d , great collar roll, back pleat, wearing it around the trailer with no trousers, she looks rather attractive in it, looks like it's filmed on the west coast, some great shots of the coast, wonderful cars etc etc, worth a flick through I'd say,

Board footer