You are not logged in.

#26 2007-06-02 04:02:58

Terry Lean

Re: Mr. "Joe Tradly" of the "Trad" Forum...

"One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing"

#27 2007-06-02 06:02:41

longwing

Terry,

First you say:

""Trad" as a game has been going on for far too long now and there are fools out there who believe that it and it's rules of dress are real. They are not. They are an ill-informed interpretation of Ivy League style only, and a very limited and limiting interpretation at that. A pale and very silly echo."

Then 15 minutes later you include Trad when you say:

"And they are 3 very different styles when it comes down to all the nuances & details."

The reason you are unable to move on is that you are so conflicted about all this.  Ultimately you will be a happier man if you follow Twin Six and Brownshoe's advice and just lump them all together. Sure, you will always be able to argue that GTH is more preppy than Ivy, and you will be correct (I think). But the overlap is huge. 

Now I've fallen into the troll's trap.  Have a nice day.

LW

#28 2007-06-02 08:34:52

Tony Ventresca

There is certainly much overlap, the the Preppy Handbook does not describe (except in the most oblique terms) the European experience with the Ivy/Jazz look, and it's too recent to describe (fully) the US Ivy League look of the 50s/60s. Pre-war Ivy League style was all about Anglo clothing, whereas after the war it became much more uniquely American.

I don't know how far to go.
It's all a bit dodgy anyway.
Too difficult to come to a conclusion, since so few of us 'were there', and even those who were there are usually only familiar with their own personal experiences (and not the 'broad sweep'). I do not mean to belittle recollections; no, those are extremely valuable, but must be understood as only tiny pieces in a larger puzzle.

However, there are not enough people are out there researching these topics. Without research they are just talking about their own biases, or desires, and mistaking those for facts.

Perhaps the most useful 'source' out there was that old scan from MIT, or someplace, that was a guide to college style (Horace has it, I believe). Also, more recently posted here on FNB, the guide to the business traveller. Both were contemporary.

Overall, I believe we (who, yes, spend too much time worrying ourselves with these things) see enough differences, both in details, timeframes, and attitudes, to insist on marking out categories, even if it's ultimately an intellectual game.

Although, that is how human brains make sense of things, so maybe it is okay.

Ivy for everyone!

TV

#29 2007-06-02 10:10:59

Terry Lean

"One of these mornings

#30 2007-06-02 10:12:09

tripchauncey

#31 2007-06-02 11:26:19

Trad to the Bone

#32 2007-06-02 13:12:23

Terry Lean

I'd rather die than be awkward...

But why is your question this way round?

Let the "Trads" defend their position, not me.

They are the ones with the newly made up name & "orthodoxy" for their style on the Net.

The Ivy League style is alive and well & does not need reviving.

"Trad" has come along as the young pretender.

Let it defend its self.

It's "orthodoxy" has no historic basis.

It is merely a seductive story for the ill-educated in this style. It feeds into people's fantasies about "Preppy" & Ralph Lauren & long afternoons on Long Island.

Cling to it if you must and mark yourself down in the eyes of those who know and love the classic American tailoring style.

Your choice.

I'd rather that you were well informed and actually interested in this style of clothing than deluded to the bone.

All the best...

God speed.

t.

"One of these mornings

#33 2007-06-02 13:28:41

Terry Lean

Last edited by Terry Lean (2007-06-02 13:29:47)

"One of these mornings

#34 2007-06-02 14:54:55

Trad to the Bone

Still unwilling to do it.

Keeping it about the clothes, you cite two clothes related issues with the "internet trads":  bow ties and baggy pants.

Bow ties:  I get that you take issue with "A. Squire" who tends to wear bow ties exclusively.  Indeed, his is a unique style, certainly not Ivy.  Probably something along the lines of Southern Traditional.  But there are plenty of 4-in-hand ties depicted over there; furthermore, do bow ties really not fit into the Ivy canon? 

Baggy pants:  Not sure whom you're referencing.  The trousers depicted there seem fine to me. 

So, let me attempt, again, to engage you on the clothes.  Here is a list of items that the "trads" at AAAT would consider "trad":

The sack suit (natural shoulders, no darts, two or three-roll-two button, plain front and cuffed trousers)
Sack odd jackets in navy blue with brass buttons or tweed.
Plain fronted khaki cotton casual trousers
repp silk ties (bow and four-in-hand) in traditional stripes and patterns
oxford and broad cloth shirts in button down, point, or club collars
penny and tassle loafers, etc. 

Of this list, which are in conflict with the Ivy style?

Best,

T to the B

#35 2007-06-02 15:02:14

Trad to the Bone

Is it that they confuse the RL-OPH-Preppy pastiche with what they call "trad"?  The whales in pink and green get mixed in with the sack suits? 

I'll concede that there is a bit too much "preppy" over there and most get the two confused.  I forget who said it best that preppy is what trads wear on the weekends.  I agree with you that all that business has no place in Ivy.  And I'll agree with an earlier poster who said often the internet trads talk about, or show themselves with way too much preppy rig combined into one outfit. 

Is that it?  Too much "preppy" to be real Ivy?

Fondly,

T to the B

#36 2007-06-02 15:19:58

John Calvin

#37 2007-06-02 16:32:58

Tony Ventresca

#38 2007-06-02 17:13:34

Trad to the Bone

#39 2007-06-02 17:18:46

Trad to the Bone

Last edited by Trad to the Bone (2007-06-02 17:24:45)

#40 2007-06-02 17:52:57

John Calvin

The bottom line is that Terry Lean needs to give us specs on Ivy Clothes and how they differ from THE CLOTHES of Trad (and Preppy).  It seems that so far he has been mostly unwilling to do this.  This debate can go no further until he does so.  Step up to the plate, Mr. Lean! (forgive the American expression)

As for TV's point that Ivy was worn in the late 50s/early 60s by more than the American elite, I agree. But I would argue that Ivy had few of the connotations in America that Mr. Lean associates with it.  If Trad is a 2004 internet interpretation of Ivy, Lean's is a British take on Ivy, not an American one.  He should remember this when he pontificates.  His take on American Ivy is just as much an interpretation of the style as anyone else's, and a foreign one at that. 

Emerson was right in suggesting that American culture needed no other affirmation than from itself.  Ivy League Style is American--not Japanese or British, although it was reinterpreted in these places.  Furthermore, the roots of Ivy League Style are in the American Northeast, among the WASP elite, even though middle class Americans came, in time, to aspire to the look.  Insofar as the "Trads" have this right, they understand more about Ivy Style than Mr. Lean and his comrades.

#41 2007-06-03 01:53:09

Terry Lean

A lovely lively debate at last on this subject!

And here at the home of good debate: FNB.

You don't see this anywhere else on the Net. do you?
Certainly not on the "Trad" forum...
(I've yet to check Styleforum this morning, maybe they also are joining in with this topic a bit more now too...)

The clothes are the clothes: TNSIL.

"Trad" is "Preppy" rolled forward a bit mainly ("Preppy" was also looked down on over here, btw).
Trad's rules of dress and 'orthodoxy' are largely taken from the OPH's pages on clothing in terms of baggy fitting clothes without pleats and darts but always with cuffed trouser bottoms.

When I look at "Trad" that's all I see.

A made-up name and second-hand rules of dress taken from the spoof that is the OPH in which a cartoon is presented of a typical Preppy.

This is why "Trad" is so weak and why you have to work so hard to defend it.
Let it go.
It isn't even 3 years old yet and yet you Tradsters are treating it as if it was Holy writ.
It's silly.

Be interested in classic American style by all means.
But call it by its real name. Insisting on the new made-up name is madness.
Realise that your rules of dress are self-imposed and self-created and that the Ivy League style is far more diverse that the narrow confines of "Trad".
Your rules of Trad are based on a lack of knowledge and a reliance on a work of spoof journalism from the 80's.
Again, this is madness.

Why are you so hot that "Trad" is anything other than an internet game?

Why does its phoney construct mean so much to you?

Let's keep talking -

t.

"One of these mornings

#42 2007-06-03 07:01:20

Tony Ventresca

#43 2007-06-03 07:08:10

Trad to the Bone

#44 2007-06-03 07:12:56

Trad to the Bone

#45 2007-06-03 07:27:18

Tony Ventresca

#46 2007-06-03 07:27:46

Trad to the Bone

#47 2007-06-03 10:19:07

Terry Lean

Hiya Boney!

... You sure you're a "Trad"?
I suspect you may actually be an Ivy league fan who might not realise it yet!

On the limitations of "Trad" it's the way it picks & chooses what to "revive" & then says that its cherry-picking is the gospel truth about the natural shoulder style.

You could have revived Ivy (if that's what "Trad" is all about) and made it mean almost anything. The style is such a whore & has been worn by so many and meant so many different things to each group. Instead "Trad" went with one interpretation & one doctrine of what was allowed in the style and what was not with very little historical back-up further than the OPH.

The result is the unattractive posturing of the "Trad" forum that turns most people off the style.
(There's some Q&A on Styleforum under the name of Larry Lean that I did to test the water on this if you want a feelgood read.)

All "Trad" does is push the social class angle linked to the OPH dress code.
What Ho, old Boy!
This is just a fragment of the style.

Ivy can be "posh" for sure, but it can also be a huge amount more. "Trad" just picks the aspects it likes to revive - The ones which suit its aspirational fantasies.

You could have revived Ivy as 'Everyman' or 'Cool' just as easily as you revived it as the American Aristocrat cartoon you chose.
If Ivy is to be revived & re-christened at all it should be done showing the full span & scope of its history.

Then you really would be traditionalists celebrating the richness of this style.

As it is "Trad" plays with only a sliver of the traditions of the Ivy League style.

It doesn't live up to its name at all.

t.

"One of these mornings

#48 2007-06-03 10:21:24

Terry Lean

"your beloved Coolidge"

I like that phrase.
I do like Cooly it's true.

"One of these mornings

#49 2007-06-03 10:23:39

Terry Lean

"your own Horace"

This too, I, like.

"One of these mornings

#50 2007-06-03 11:08:44

John Calvin

Perhaps a look into the etymology of the term "Ivy League Style" would be helpful at this point?  Who came up with it?  Maybe Horace and his old New Yorker ads can be helpful here.  It seems to me though that the name itself points to its origins as an American phenomenon of Northeastern WASPs.  Mr. Lean would at least have to admit that, in general, the term "Ivy League" has few proletarian connotations, at least in America.

Board footer