You are not logged in.

#76 2015-10-15 09:53:36

Worried Man

Re: Groundhog Madras

We're a surly bunch for the most part aucocisco.  Perhaps you reserve entering Talk Ivy until after you've downed a 5th of bourbon and started blasting some Louie Louie.  I mean... that's what I do.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#77 2015-10-15 10:07:09

oxford cloth button down

Last edited by oxford cloth button down (2015-10-15 10:07:50)

#78 2015-10-15 13:24:03

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

That's right mister ,so don't come peddling your fancy liquor round here

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#79 2015-10-15 14:41:43

aucociscokid2

I can handle the bourbon part. The Louie, Louie part. ???

I'll try to fit in better.

Would it be OK to ask members here to review and comment on the draft Styleforum GMTO copy?

Would it be OK to post a link to the Styleforum GMTO when it goes up?

I DID NOT just join the Forum either, or just to "hawk my wares."

I registered here as a yoot; like 7 years ago.

Started other non-selling threads. Responded to a few.

@Chatsworth Osborne Jr.: Trousers.

http://www.oconnellsclothing.com/Bleeding-Madras-Trousers/

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2015-10-15 16:19:13)

#80 2015-10-15 18:24:35

Worried Man

We can be a tough crowd.  Just post a picture of yourself on the toilet with a paper bag over your head for the ILSFT thread and then you'll get by with anything.  At least that worked for Thee Capatin.... 

What ever happened to you reaching out to David Mercer?

And sure, provide a link to the non-GMO/HMO/CFO Group Made To Order info over here as you make progress.  We share a few members and I'm sure some from SF lurk over here and vice versa.

Last edited by Worried Man (2015-10-15 18:35:14)

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#81 2015-10-15 18:43:27

aucociscokid2

I not only reached out to Dave Mercer, but we connected.

I sent him enough for a couple of sample shirts. Once he received it, he said it kept him up at nights thinking of the possibilities.

Based on the samples, he's ordered 60 yards which is in transit.

#82 2015-10-16 05:03:31

Yuca

That's enough for about 20 shirts. I will be keeping an eye on his site.

Do you think this cloth will last as long as other shirt cloths e.g. broadcloth or Oxford? (I read somewhere that madras can have a shorter lifespan.)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#83 2015-10-16 11:51:00

aucociscokid2

Loominous Bleeding Madras is made from 2/80 cotton yarn. Very durable. Can be laundered many, many, many.. times. Yet with a markedly silky "hand." The madas as was available in the 1960s was 2/40s or 2/60s. Very flimsy. Among the reasons there is very little - if any - vintage madras. I also discovered why other madras - such as Ralph Lauren's etc. - "bleeds." Its dyed with COLORFAST dyes and a small amount of indigo dye - like in denim. The indigo will wash out in the laundry water to some extent, giving the impression of "bleeding." Again: The desired phenomenon which took place with 1960s madras is the the colors melded or blended together on the garment itself. Not leech into the laundry water. With authentic, "bleeding madras, even though customers may have all purchased the same pattern, each will change in its own unique way. If 20 shirts, for instance, are made of a single pattern,  20 distinctive, unique ones will be produced as they're laundered. The magic of madras!

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2015-10-16 11:52:28)

#84 2015-10-16 17:03:33

Sidewinder

Look, you're doing yourself no favours here by constantly harking on about your perception of how other iterations of madras may or may not be 'authentic'.
I'll set you straight on the RL situation. One of my ex-students currently works for RL in NYC. I contacted her a few weeks ago about their source for madras. At any one time, depending on the seasons quota of madras (which, for 2015 was very limited) they reach out, through their Asian supply agents, to up to 10-15 different suppliers. In 2013 for instance, they used madras from around six different manufacturers. All of these were distinct in weight, pattern, dying processes etc. This can be simply verified by checking the garment for the supplier codes and by a simple hand evaluation. Some fade more than others.

Concentrate on YOUR product by:
a) Having the nouse to procure some professional photographs of the product.
b) Setting up a transparent marketing campaign. None of this weird third-person and alias' business.
c) Wait until feedback starts coming in about garments made from your cloth. Shrinkage and excessive/uneven bleeding can be an issue. Hopefully you had trial garments made and subjected to some hard washing and ironing to assess how the fabric would react.

Good luck on this enterprise, but play it cool like Lester Y. : )

#85 2015-10-16 20:23:55

aucociscokid2

Thanks for the good wishes, Sidewinder.

Handloom + non-colorfast direct dyes = Authentic, "bleeding" madras. RL is powerloomed. For 45+ years there has been no handlooming of "bleeding" madras + handlooming can't be done with a manufacturer being able to offer the garments at retail at the price RL does. David Wood Clothiers has had no complains regarding the 1st batch of which they sold out in August and its now October. Dave Mercer has also laundered his, with results that are consistent with those obtained by an Indian government lab we had test the fabric: The shrinkage is c. 1.5%.

#86 2015-10-17 04:31:09

Tomiskinky

That's all great, and like everyone on here we are interested - but you need to market it better. As we keep saying take photos and let us see the product - up to now it's invisible?

#87 2015-10-17 05:45:14

Yuca

I haven't followed the whole thread however I will say this: if certain shirt makers have bought this cloth then their sites will show what they have chosen to buy and what they will do with it. The cloth manufacturer is giving us a heads up plus some background info on the finer details of the cloth. E.g. I assume sooner or later this cloth will show up on the Mercer site.

For those who want to buy cloth direct from The Cisco Kid that's not much help though, to be fair.

Anyway this is a classic by one of my favourite bands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYODVTHC2I

There's also a great Latin version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NanxBKrPh2I

Last edited by Yuca (2015-10-17 05:45:49)

#88 2015-10-17 07:58:07

stanshall

I haven't really been following this thread either Yuca but I'm glad I looked in to see the fantastic video of War performing "Cisco Kid" on The Midnight Special, thanks!  it has helped the  day get off to a nice start!

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#89 2015-10-17 16:24:31

aucociscokid2

#90 2015-10-19 04:24:16

Yuca

#91 2015-10-19 08:08:22

stanshall

/\  War's singles were among the very best things on the radio in the early-to-mid-'70s, and that's saying a lot!  I loved them ............

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#92 2015-10-19 21:45:16

aucociscokid2

Posting pictures of the shirts has been daunting, because of the production constraints of the manufacturer. He ordinarily can't produce one shirt. We also can dye/weave any fabric until orders for at least 20 shirts are received. Less than 100 yards of material can't be produced because of the manner in which the looms need to be set up.

For the moment, in the next 2-3 days we're going to be offering a shirt on Styleforum for $155 (not including shipping). At retail, it will sell for $175 (not including shipping.) A picture of the finished garment will be shown.

We've convinced - after 4 weeks of bargaining - the manufacturer to make 3 sample shirts from 3 patterns left over from a previous order. They should be ready in 10 days. Pictures of those will be posted (and offered at $155, too.)

After that material is exhausted, designs will be posted on Styleforum. When orders for a least 20 shirts are received, they'll be put into production. Unfortunately, only pictures of the production process can (and will) be posted on Styleforum. But, finished garments can only be posted when they're - well - finished.

Hope that works.

Thanks.

#93 2015-10-20 01:46:59

Tomiskinky

^ That's all you need, well photographed shots of these sample shirts, showing the details clearly - on plain backgrounds - not slumped over a desk, presentation is everything.

Then all you need to do is show fabric swatches - again in focus, not like the ones on your Etsy site, they are inconsistent blurred and probably not a true reflection of the colours.

It really is as simple as that.

#94 2015-10-20 01:53:51

Bop

The man speaks sense...you can produce the most wonderful product in the world but if you dont do it justice you cant rely on people appricating what it is if its not marketed well.

I mean the opposite happens all the time..why do you think so much goes into marketing and advertising..to sell people crap under the pretense its quality....

Do it the justice you think it deserves..

#95 2015-10-20 14:35:02

aucociscokid2

Thanks Tom and Bop. I hear you! Better pictures will be on Styleforum. Your comments are always welcome and helpful. Dave Mercer just sent the picture of the shirt he made from our fabric in his enthusiasm. I did the same here. Never intended for a wider public. Just wanted to get your impressions of how the material makes up into a shirt. What do think? Those colors are true ones, too.

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2015-10-20 14:38:37)

#96 2015-11-09 15:58:20

aucociscokid2

Loominous "Bleeding" Madras shirts are now available for pre-order on Styleforum. Thanks.

http://www.styleforummarket.com/loominous-new-england-shirt-company-authentic-bleeding-madras-shirt-styleforum-gmto/

#97 2015-11-09 16:01:18

Worried Man

Is that a picture of the Mercer-made shirt?

#98 2015-11-09 16:12:50

aucociscokid2

The New England Shirt Co. one. While Mercer will be offering them in due course, that pattern (the one of Styleforum) is not one being offered. If you're interested in that particular pattern, the only way of obtaining it will be through Styleforum. When the current Styleforum offering sells out, other patterns will be offered first on Styleforum. If any fabric remains, it will be offered to Mercer. Remember: 100 yards of a given pattern need to be dyed/woven. So, if we sell 20 shirts on Styleforum (which is the minimum necessary for a particular offering to close), that = 50 yards. 50 yards will then be offered to Mercer. If 30 shirts are pre-ordered on Styleforum that = 75 yards. 25 will be offered to Mercer. Among the reasons for that is: Mercer can't take 100 yards of a given pattern at a time. If 40 shirts are sold on Styleforum that = 100 yards. No yardage will be available for Mercer.

The most that will be available of any given pattern/plaid are 40 shirts. Once 40 are sold, the pattern won't be offered again. The only way of anybody getting any shirts, however, is for 20 to be sold on Styleforum.

Last edited by aucociscokid2 (2015-11-09 16:30:30)

#99 2015-11-10 00:52:55

Tomiskinky

Trimmer fit than a 60s GANT - are there actual measurement on the site for these, looking on phone and didn't see a link.

#100 2015-11-10 09:12:59

Yuca

That's exactly what caught my eye - that plus alpha sizing. I'll stick to what I know: the Mercers (if I can find the funds).

Others may prefer the slimfit option.

Last edited by Yuca (2015-11-10 09:14:20)

Board footer