You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-21 05:36:26

m@t

The Maltese Falcon DB

#2 2006-04-21 07:09:20

Marc Grayson

Re: The Maltese Falcon DB

FWIW, I like high placement of buttons on a coat, in general, which is why I like 3-button coats.  It can result in the coat enveloping the torso and hugging it, although some might find the results a little suffocating.  Such button placement, however, might not be flattering on a rounder physique, which might benefit from a more relaxed fit and lower button placement.

Marc

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#3 2006-04-21 10:44:33

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

#4 2006-04-21 19:39:18

pchong

Hi All, and FNB...my first post...thanks for this forum...very interesting.

Two questions, I dug out my DVD copy of the Maltese Falcon last night after reading the articles, and have the following to ask:

1. do you think the sleeves of the coat a little too long? Bogart's shirt cuffs can hardly be seen at all during the movie. As a collorary, I guess its the style of those days, but does the coat strike anyone to be a little short?

2. the first time he is seen with this suit, the scene at his office, I noted several times when the collar actualy gapes open several inches from the shirt collar behind and at the side. My instincts tell me that this is would mean that the suit is poorly cut. Yet, when he raises his hands when a gun is pointed at him, the lapels behave quite well. Is my reading correct?

#5 2006-04-21 20:38:28

Marc Grayson

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#6 2006-04-22 07:38:38

Lord Copper

WHat would Sidney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre wear today?

Board footer