You are not logged in.

#1 2014-06-14 14:06:39

NJS

FIFI 2014

What! No thread anywhere on this?! We are going around to a little bar at 1900 hours our time to see Wayne Rooney off towards his knighthood, in the Eng v Italy match. The thing is that we will have to keep a fairly low profile (ie refrain from singing the "Uggy Song"; "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" and chanting "Engerland, Engerland") because there is quite an Italian-descended population here. Still, we should be fairly safe as the bar owner's son supports Man U as well as Fluminense...

Last edited by NJS (2014-06-14 14:07:57)

#2 2014-06-14 18:58:44

Dudley Clarke

Re: FIFI 2014

Hope that you enjoyed the self-indulgence of the over-indulged England side more than I did. If national disappointment should meet with the kind of fate that certain East European dictators found, then the Rooneys should be watching out for their just deserts - but, then, maybe, Bobby Robson, the Rooneys and the Gerrards will take up numerous advantageous offers to start endorsing brands of wheelchairs! What a buch of wankers!

I came up to see her sometimes.

#3 2014-06-14 23:35:49

Bop

I like football but I rarely enjoy a World cup, well not since Italia 90. I think Ive finally realised in my older years Wimbledon is the best sporting tournament there is. The World Cup or tournament football in general is shit. England is also shit, overpaid foreign managers, for too long.. now a boring English one whose dinosaur tatics saw us to the world cup but gave us no chance of winning it. A team of over the hills that still think they deserve a place against the hungrier but less experienced. To be honest I just don't care what happens.

This all before we look at the bigger social issues around the event. Anyway I can watch tennis starting from the 23rd. Now there is a spectacle.

#4 2014-06-14 23:58:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Never been interested in fitball, never could see a strategy, or style of play, or feel allegiance to a team who couldn't care less about me. It remains a mystery to me, why grown men should feel so passionate or others rampage and destroy bars and fight with other hooligans on the basis of fitballers kicking a ball around the pitch.

Never seen sense in it, but I do realise the oddity I see in others, is what they see in me.

As I remember the 70s and very early 80s, there seemed to me more of a class divide in sports, but then fitball redeemed itself with the middle class.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#5 2014-06-15 02:39:02

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

The excessive influence of money on the Premier League has wrecked English football with foreign players and managers dominating and making it tougher for homegrown talent to break through. Despite this situation the current England team contains some great young players with the necessary core of experienced ones. On paper we should be able to do very well but we never seem to be able to find the extra magic that makes the difference, unlike the Dutch, who despite being a much smaller country with a lesser domestic league to draw on, manage every few years to produce an exceptional national team and it seems they've done it again this time.

Personally, I shall be far more interested in following the progress of the Tour De France which always exerts a fascination in our house for three weeks every summer. Even with the underlying spectre of doping by riders, nothing can take away  the shear athletic endeavour involved in riding 5-6 hours a day at race speed over the some of the highest mountains in Europe in extremes of weather. Apart from 2 or 3 rest days this goes on daily for three weeks. Riders are often involved in excrutiating crashes, losing large amounts of skin and worse, but if they are physically able they just jump back on their bikes and keep riding, it's not unknown for them to continue in the race with with broken collarbones or ribs. They are some of the toughest people in sport.  Chivalry still exists in pro cycling with top riders sometimes slowing to allow competitors who have crashed to catch up with the group. This is a stark contrast to football where they roll around feigning agony after being tackled and cheat to win decisions from the referee.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#6 2014-06-15 05:05:13

NJS

I am not a great one for watcing field games (they are not really 'sport' at all) but I do watch the world cup and Wimbledon . I thought that the English team's game last night completely lacked finish and, by the end, I felt such vergonha, that, if I watch England play anymore, it will not be in a bar full of Brazilians. Wayne Rooney ought to be taken out and shot for causing as much national disappointment as the Ceaucescus - what  was that corner that he took towsards the end - trying to bend it like Beckham and score from there was he? The over-indulged, fat, scouse git.

Last edited by NJS (2014-06-15 05:06:26)

#7 2014-06-15 05:42:30

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#8 2014-06-15 05:52:35

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#9 2014-06-15 05:57:38

Dudley Clarke

Surely woofboxer meant that the money that the players are paid has led to over-indulgence and the players no longer have the hunger for the game. They play like computer icons.Footie is a big business because the majority are morons and they love it so much that they will pay the absurd prices of premium TV to the likes of that ugly moster Murdoch..

I came up to see her sometimes.

#10 2014-06-15 06:05:27

NJS

#11 2014-06-15 06:13:12

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#12 2014-06-15 06:18:27

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#13 2014-06-15 06:48:02

NJS

#14 2014-06-15 07:30:05

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

My grandfather was a big boxing fan and would love to chide fitball fans up the wrong way, announcing that "Yes, all very well, but when you're in the ring, it's the loneliest place in the world...."

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#15 2014-06-15 10:48:32

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#16 2014-06-15 11:11:14

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#17 2014-06-15 12:20:35

The Absintheist

On a side note, went out for a piss-up last night, we started to chat to a few girls who then asked us whether we were following the world cup. Same old "real men watch football" when we said that we didn't really care. Later on two of them had to go upstairs to check the score, of course coming back all disappointed that England lost. Couldn't help quipping that if she was genuinely disappointed, then she couldn't have been following the cup for that long... luckily she didn't resent the remark.

Board footer