You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-08 12:00:49

Retro Fan

Playboy Originals Made in Spain

Hello to everyone, My name is Mack.  I'm a collector of vintage clothing and accessories. I recently ordered a pair of Playboy Originals from an online store in Sweden. They were pricey, but I didn't like the 2 local alternatives that were available, the Sanders and the RJ Colts. The Sanders seem to be a quality shoe, but for my taste, the toe is too pointy, and they don't have a 90 degree break in the heel. The RJ Colts don't seem to have a genuine crepe out sole, and are to wide. The Playboy Originals seem to be closer to the shoes that I remember seeing my friends and the kids at my Jr. high school in Brooklyn NY wearing in the late 1960's, and early 70's. I've read comments on this forum that the out sole on the Playboy Originals that are made in Spain have a sole that is too thick. I agree that they could have made them thinner.

Do any of you own a pair of Playboy Originals? Is so, what do you think about them?

I want to give a special hello to the Weejun. I learned a lot about the history and construction of Hutton Playboys from you, so thanks.

Below is a photo of the model that I ordered. I' hope to have them soon.

Thanks,
Mack

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p737/ronmack10/1_zps79b39736.jpg

#2 2014-07-08 12:34:42

Leer R.

Re: Playboy Originals Made in Spain

You were able to order them? Which online store - and how much? To my knowledge they are very pricey and can't be shipped outside Sweden...

Btw, welcome to TI - I have been very unkind to you! Very sorry. sad

Last edited by Leer R. (2014-07-08 14:05:48)

http://maennergarderobe.blogspot.co.at

BB Makers shirts: 15.5/33, BB #1, 2 or 4 suits: 38R

#3 2014-07-08 12:36:05

Leer R.

P.S. the sole is indeed too thick.

#4 2014-07-08 13:09:26

Yuca

Welcome to the forum. I don't like them, however I like the sound of this:

Retro Fan wrote:

my friends and the kids at my Jr. high school in Brooklyn NY wearing in the late 1960's, and early 70's.

Care to share anymore sartorial (or other) memories of those days?

Incidentally, I recall there was a big discussion on here a few years ago from a couple of dedicated Playboy fans who as I recall had a similar background to Retro Fan.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#5 2014-07-08 23:17:34

Retro Fan

Leer R. wrote:

You were able to order them? Which online store - and how much? To my knowledge they are very pricey and can't be shipped outside Sweden...

Btw, welcome to TI - I have been very unkind to you! Very sorry. sad

Hi Leer,
Thanks for welcoming me. The  Lester store in Sweden will ship them to the USA for resale only. it is my understanding that they aren't available for wholesale to retailers in the USA.

They were $269. (plus a $18 vat fee and a $15. for shipping total $303.)  But guess what? The Sanders are about the same at Citi shoes ($279) located on Park ave & 57th St.  Mike's Shoes located on 8th ave & 37 St. in NYC. has them for a little less.

#6 2014-07-08 23:48:34

stanshall

Yuca wrote:

Welcome to the forum.  ....

Retro Fan wrote:

my friends and the kids at my Jr. high school in Brooklyn NY wearing in the late 1960's, and early 70's.

Incidentally, I recall there was a big discussion on here a few years ago from a couple of dedicated Playboy fans who as I recall had a similar background to Retro Fan.

+1, welcome Mack, please let us know more about your late '60s/early '70s style ...... I never saw a pair of Playboy shoes in those years  ......  I'm not sure I've ever seen a pair in real life .....

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#7 2014-07-09 00:49:30

Leer R.

Thanks, Retro Fan... I tend to forget that we can get the Sanders a bit cheaper in Europe... Interesting. Still like the Sanders better for being sleeker (that has to do with my flat and low instep and my sleek feet mainly)... smile

#8 2014-07-09 01:45:32

Retro Fan

Yuca wrote:

Retro Fan wrote:

stanshall wrote:

Yuca wrote:

Retro Fan wrote:

+1, welcome Mack, please let us know more about your late '60s/early '70s style ...... I never saw a pair of Playboy shoes in those years  ......  I'm not sure I've ever seen a pair in real life .....

Hi Yuca & stanshall

Thanks for your contributions to the thread.

My memories of those days were not all good. I grew up in Flatbush Brooklyn, which in those days was a mixed middle class community with very nice brownstone houses, luxury apartment buildings, some modest homes, and some mansions too. I grew up under less than ideal circumstances, so my mother wasn't able to buy me the kind of clothing that some of my friends and school mates wore. I didn't start wearing the cheaper versions of the style of clothing that I'm about to describe to you until around 1971, which is when we moved to a different neighborhood in Brooklyn. So, for about 3 years I was teased and made fun of. When everyone else was wearing Converses and Pro-Keds, I was wearing sneakers that the kids called "rejects" that cost $1.99. That was 1968-1970

The kids in Brooklyn (and the other boroughs of NYC), wore Italian and American made knit shirts with cover buttons and dagger collars, like the ones the Rat Pack and the Motown acts use to wear. They wore wool turtle and mock neck shirts, and off the rack flat front matador pants. They also wore what we called "tailor made pants". I know it's hard to believe that NYC kids wore bespoke pants, but it's true. The shoes of choice of course were Playboys (plain derbys, brouge derbys, slip,ons, chukkas boots, 2 tone patent leather, green, purple, red colors etc...). Thats right, purple Playboys. I remember seeing kids wearing beaver caps similar to the Kangol 504 caps but made from fur felt. We believed them to be made from beaver, but of course it's possible they were made from rabbit or something else. My friends use to brush and slicked down their beaver caps with baby oil. The beaver caps came in a bunch of different collars too.  As for outerwear, the coat of choice were Cortefiels coats and jackets that were made from corduroy with leather accents around the button holes and leather piping around the pockets. The boots of choice were Camel boots, and what we called "Little Abners".

Even though I didn't get to own the cheaper versions of this style of clothing until around 1971, I was fascinated by the style and quality of the better made clothing, so I remember a lot of it vividly. I  remember thinking to myself, how could George's parents (a well dressed class mate of mine), afford to buy him such nice clothing?

-Mack

Last edited by Retro Fan (2014-07-09 02:06:23)

#9 2014-07-09 02:00:14

Retro Fan

Leer R. wrote:

Thanks, Retro Fan... I tend to forget that we can get the Sanders a bit cheaper in Europe... Interesting. Still like the Sanders better for being sleeker (that has to do with my flat and low instep and my sleek feet mainly)... smile

Hi Leer,
Yes they are quite pricey here. Glad they are affordable on your side of the pond.

-Ron

#10 2014-07-09 02:09:19

stanshall

Retro Fan wrote:

Yuca wrote:

Retro Fan wrote:

stanshall wrote:

Yuca wrote:

Hi Yuca & stanshall

My memories of those days were not all good. I grew up in Flatbush Brooklyn, which in those days was a mixed middle class community with very nice brownstone houses, luxury apartment buildings, some modest homes, and some mansions too. I grew up under less than ideal circumstances, so my mother wasn't able to buy me the kind of clothing that some of my friends and school mates wore. I didn't start wearing the cheaper versions of the style of clothing that I'm about to describe to you until around 1971, which is when we moved to a different neighborhood in Brooklyn. So, for about 3 years I was teased and made fun of. When everyone else was wearing Converses and Pro-Keds, I was wearing sneakers that the kids called "rejects" that cost $1.99. That was 1968-1970

The kids in Brooklyn (and the other boroughs of NYC), wore Italian and American made knit shirts with cover buttons and dagger collars, like the ones the Rat Pack and the Motown acts use to wear. They wore wool turtle and mock neck shirts, and off the rack flat front matador pants. They also wore what we called "tailor made pants". I know it's hard to believe that NYC kids wore bespoke pants, but it's true. The shoes of choice of course were Playboys (plain derbys, brouge derbys, slip,ons, chukkas boots, 2 tone patent leather, green, purple, red colors etc...). Thats right, purple Playboys. I remember seeing kids wearing beaver caps similar to the Kangol 504 caps but made from fur felt. We believed them to be made from beaver, but of course it's possible they were made from rabbit or something else. My friends use to brush and slicked down their beaver caps with baby oil. The beaver caps came in a bunch of different collars too.  As for outerwear, the coat of choice were Cortefiels coats and jackets that were made from corduroy with leather accents around the button holes and leather piping around the pockets. The boots of choice were Camel boots, and what we called "Little Abners".

Even though I didn't get to own the cheaper versions of this style of clothing until around 1971, I was fascinated by the style and quality of the better made clothing, so I remember a lot of it vividly. I  remember thinking to myself, how could George's parents (a well dressed class mate of mine), afford to buy him such nice clothing?

-Mack

thanks Mack, great post!

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#11 2014-07-09 02:35:45

Thee Captain

Well HELLO RF...

Firstly.. Mack is a truly great handle Sir...and it's tremendous news that you're from the United States of America..
I was up for half the night counselling Armchaired of this parish on the lack of USA! USA! USA! members....and thee other half baking a Victoria Sponge for you...as part of the new welcoming committee here....and which I hope you'll enjoy a slice of later when you surface....

Can't say I have much knowledge of playboys...have had 2 pairs of the Sanders over the years but don't really wear them these days...
Just went to that Lester site however as I was intrigued...

I really like the shape of these..and the quirky bigger sole I find rather cheeky Sir....
I favour the brown suede over the brogue but I look forward to your feedback on them...

I favour bigger strides meself and they'd work great with my atrocious wardrobe I reckon..

More of the Brooklyn tales too please… I can’t get enough of anything Noo Yoik…

Chin Chin for now Mack.. and WELCOME INDEED…

He came...he saw...he gave the WANKER SIGN...
http://www.theecaptainsofsuave.com/
Available for Private Parties - URBAN PONCE IVY MASSIVE Represent..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #captainofsuave

#12 2014-07-09 02:51:23

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Welcome Retro Fan mack
The Brooklyn tales are fascinating, please give us some more.
Me and Thee captaine "Creamed ourselves" when we read
this thread last night over a mug of Horlicks.

“My therapist told me that I over-analyze everything. I explained to him that he only thinks this because of his unhappy relationship with his mother.”

#13 2014-07-09 02:59:08

Thee Captain

Armchaired wrote:

Welcome Retro Fan mack

Yes...and some more than others....you old Jizzbucket you.....

I'm gonna need more than VANISH to get that out my boy...

#14 2014-07-09 13:44:45

Leer R.

stanshall wrote:

Retro Fan wrote:

Yuca wrote:

Retro Fan wrote:

stanshall wrote:

Hi Yuca & stanshall

-Mack

thanks Mack, great post!

+1! Sounds like a really cool post Ivy "little bit of Gangster" style smile

#15 2014-07-09 15:12:55

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#16 2014-07-09 21:52:24

Retro Fan

Thee Captain wrote:

Well HELLO RF...

Firstly.. Mack is a truly great handle Sir...and it's tremendous news that you're from the United States of America..
I was up for half the night counselling Armchaired of this parish on the lack of USA! USA! USA! members....and thee other half baking a Victoria Sponge for you...as part of the new welcoming committee here....and which I hope you'll enjoy a slice of later when you surface....

Can't say I have much knowledge of playboys...have had 2 pairs of the Sanders over the years but don't really wear them these days...
Just went to that Lester site however as I was intrigued...

I really like the shape of these..and the quirky bigger sole I find rather cheeky Sir....
I favour the brown suede over the brogue but I look forward to your feedback on them...

I favour bigger strides meself and they'd work great with my atrocious wardrobe I reckon..

More of the Brooklyn tales too please… I can’t get enough of anything Noo Yoik…

Chin Chin for now Mack.. and WELCOME INDEED…

Hi Thee Captain,

I'm happy that you like my handle. I made it up as I was registering. I'm glad to hear that you like the thick soles on the P-Boys. They haven't been shipped yet because the Lester Store had to order my size from the manufacturer because they didn't have my size in stock. As soon as I receive them I will let you know what I think of them. Thanks.

Armchaired wrote:

Welcome Retro Fan mack

Hi Armchaired,

I'M  not much of a writer, but I'm  happy to hear you enjoyed the post. I had to google Horlicks to find out what it is. I guess it's the UK equivalent of Ovaltine?
I'll see what I can come up with as far as tales are concerned. Don't have much time with work and all.

Thanks stanshall. I'M glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks again Leer. It was a pretty slick looking style. Some of the local NY mobsters did wear sharkskin pants/suits and Italian knit shirts. It's all related

Yuca, Thanks for the link. I read it. There are a lot of fans of Playboys in the USA. Particularly on the East coast in NYC and New Jersey

Last edited by Retro Fan (2014-07-09 22:04:12)

#17 2014-07-10 04:05:19

Tomiskinky

Interestingly I bought a pair of Original Playboys off IvyLeagueOfGentlemen on here, below are the 3 pairs I have in rotation.

L-R

Sanders Snuff - 4 years old and getting nicely bedded in

Trickers Snuff Mudguards (known as the round toe Sanders) - First pair bought also 4 years old and pretty much the perfect playboy of the current crop, unfortunately only available in Japan.

Original Playboy brown - from mid 80s made by Whites of Earls Barton, suppliers I believe to JS at the time, much chunkier like those in the original post, but shows they have been this way for a long time now.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2935/14616666544_b03813c247.jpg

Last edited by Tomiskinky (2014-07-10 04:10:20)

Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

#18 2014-07-10 04:34:58

Thee Captain

Must say T..I do like those ones on the right...great shape...and nice to see em on display after a bit of life in them all...

I'm deffo back interested in these again...

#19 2014-07-10 04:49:40

Tomiskinky

Cheers TC - The foxing is very sticky on them, have to pack them in bags in the boxes otherwise they come out with additional crispy cardboard flakes!

The George Cox popboy is a very similar shape, these too are now made for them by Sanders.

Clothes make the man - naked people have little or no influence on society! M.Twain

#20 2014-07-10 05:26:27

SenorBlues

Like the look of the Trickers ones. Think the higher top balances out the heavy sole better.

Jeez, $457 though?

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/septis/item/1-0103/

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#21 2014-07-10 05:42:38

Tomiskinky

These were the Trickers on the first wear, needless to say I did not pay that much for them ^

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4117/4824576972_c09163a3d5.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4079/4823965223_f17be5a7f2.jpg

#22 2014-07-10 05:48:12

SenorBlues

^Lovely!

“I have never listened to anyone who criticised my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.”
Ray Bradbury

#23 2014-07-10 07:00:56

Thee Captain

Tomiskinky wrote:

These were the Trickers on the first wear, needless to say I did not pay that much for them ^

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4117/482 … 63a3d5.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4079/482 … e5a7f2.jpg

Actually they look great too with that view....

I've gone off the Sanders as I just don't find em comfy tbh...and my feet are giving me enough grief as it is so don't wanna encourage them any..

#24 2014-07-10 07:07:58

Tomiskinky

You're right, mine took some time to be comfy, the footbed felt very hard and they are narrow on the toes - ideally I would get a half size up next time. The Trickers are very comfy, shame they are so hard to get?

#25 2014-07-10 07:18:19

Thee Captain

Trickers always a good place to go SALE time as they get some of their weird European stuff in you don't usually see here...
Saw nothing this summer mind saying that...
I've actually started leaning back to their classic Brogues again..so they're coming back out the closet too...
I've a strong feeling I saw their take on the playboy many moons ago you know...a shame I didn't act....
Enjoy them T!

Board footer