You are not logged in.

#26 2014-09-18 13:55:43

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Re: The John Simons Sale Continues:

The merits of a Keydge will always divide,i have one and i like it but then i accept it for what it is.

I wouldn't like to see this turn into a JS debate re prices etc, we have all got a living to earn.

Its a small unique business and i imagine a shop in the westend has big overheads.
Some of their items are very expensive but the current Harrington for example is reasonable
when compared to the likes of Baracuta.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#27 2014-09-18 14:14:57

RobbieB

Last edited by RobbieB (2014-09-18 14:19:45)

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#28 2014-09-18 14:24:04

Tommy

Gotta back AC up here.  I think if you look around with somethings stocked you can source them more cheaply,  but certain things seemed to have been dropped in price and certain things are a decent price.  I go there for things that nobody else seems to do or at least get right over here.  I'd always go vintage on things like pendleton,  probably sack jacket's and shop around on shoe's.  But I do really like their shirts,  the golf jacket and did pick up some things at good value in the sale?

Obviously I've not been shopping there that long, but I like it.

#29 2014-09-18 14:38:56

Harpo
The Best In The West

Their shirts are good and reasonable - I've had some great stuff from there and the old shop over the years. I think the vintage shirts are over priced at the mo, but I've had a brilliant and very reasonable vintage Southwick from there in the last few years. I don't get up to the Smoke much these days, but when I do, I enjoy visiting the shop and having a chat - because they share a passion - and I usually come away with something. But like Woody Allen - I rarely pay retail.  ( ;

I`ll dig up a picture of that suit.

Randy lower-class trifler

#30 2014-09-18 14:41:59

Worried Man

Those JS chinos Cap posted today looked mighty good to me.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#31 2014-09-18 16:00:24

Yuca

You would love the NOS overcoat I tried on. Even for 300 quid it's tempting. As I said earlier, I suspect it's a size too big for me, although it is supposed to be worn big. Much as I love the wool overcoat I own, this one is a lot thicker, for those super cold days.

Most of their stock doesn't appeal to me personally, and a lot of it seems to be updated for the 21st century. (Fair enough, it's just I detest the 21st century.) But there are certainly a few things that I appreciate. Their Rancourts have got to be the best loafers in the country by a mile, for one.

Last edited by Yuca (2014-09-18 16:00:47)

some sort of banal legitimacy

#32 2014-09-18 16:47:50

Harpo
The Best In The West

#33 2014-09-18 18:44:15

Worried Man

Mmmm yeah.  Can't knock that a bit.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#34 2014-09-18 19:39:53

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#35 2014-09-19 02:28:02

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#36 2014-09-19 03:06:36

Thee Captain

Being in London, I obviously pop by here more than some.. I don't really do Facebook to see what’s new but often go home via Baker Strasse so cut through and pop by in the evenings just to gander in the window...
It gives me a nice warm feeling inside...as did doing the very same in Russell St.

It's obviously hit n miss if someone makes a planned journey on any given day as to what they'll have vintage wise...it really is the luck of the draw...but often I've seen stuff in the window....and then confirmed details...and picked up summat cheeky...

I love a lot of their own lines too... and that some of their other bits away from the norm - the norm of course is what you see it as - but as I threw in the other day, it's always had other "Americana bits" in there too, for want of another term...
The Keydge/Vetra thing either works for you or it doesn't.. they've always had a solid collection of a variety of footwear...I've bought 2 pairs of Red Wings there from the old shop for example.. their knitwear is tremendous too...belts/ties/headwear/suits..all GOOD GOOD GOOD....

The greatest thing of course is the personal touch.

I've spent hours in there at any one time discussing pretty much everything....you'll always pick up a wonderful titbit or some useful info... or just hear a great story...

I like the way Paul's moved it on too... he's got a great relaxed style and the rest of the current staff are lovely to be around too..
There’s not many shops I spend any amount of time in…so it’s nice to go and interact on clothing and have some mutual respect going on…

And besides – where else am I gonna bump into Woof?!?!?....and in me grunties?!?!?

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#37 2014-09-19 04:38:34

RobbieB

#38 2014-09-19 05:10:06

Harpo
The Best In The West

As I think I've said before, in the old shop he once sold me a Grenfell mac. During a heatwave.

I was just leaving the shop after buying some Weejuns,  and happened to mention I was on the look out for a mac and would have a look when I was back in town.... but he knew what I wanted, and convinced me I wanted it now. But I'm glad he did - 'cos it's bloody lovely - and he did knock a fair bit off. He's a salesman, and a good one - as well as being knowledgable and interested in Ivy clothes, modernism, etc.

#39 2014-09-19 07:49:30

RobbieB

I remember JS selling me a pair of Weejuns that were one size too small. He didn't have my size but he convinced me that instead of wearing my usual thick wool socks I could wear a pair of thin cotton ones and everything would be okay. It didn't really work out. As it happens I always think Weejuns look better the smaller they are, particularly as worn by Japanese school girls with white socks and short tartan skirts. Not a fantasy of mine but I was at heathrow the other week and a large group of girls, sporting this look, waltzed by, looking cool. The vision has stayed with me.

I now have the urge to visit the shop and buy the Rancourts.

#40 2014-09-19 08:38:31

Tommy

He is a hellva sales man- he could sell a blind man glasses, though he does have a very good eye for fit.. well I've never brought a pair of shoes there.  Paul seems to have his Dad's eye for detail but a much more relaxed attitude to selling that is more common now.  One the reasons I go also go out to Stuarts for a lot of things though is there old fashioned approach to sales- that doesn't fit you or the cuts wrong,  try this and so on? I went in Russell Street maybe three times and brought something once but I would say John seems more relaxed now?

Last edited by Tommy (2014-09-19 09:19:29)

#41 2014-09-19 09:06:45

Yuca

#42 2014-09-19 09:24:48

RobbieB

#43 2014-09-19 09:39:04

Yuca

Sockless with loafers has never appealed to me either. If I want to go sockless I wouldn't have shoes on in the 1st place. (I'd be barefoot or in sandals.)

Board footer