You are not logged in.

#1 2014-07-27 13:10:48

formby

America's relationship with luxury...

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#2 2014-07-27 16:50:25

doghouse

Re: America's relationship with luxury...

http://m.seattlepi.com/business/boeing/article/First-Boeing-747-finally-returning-to-glory-5644685.php

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#3 2014-07-27 16:54:37

formby

"Dressing, like painting, should have a residual stability, plus punctuation and surprise." - Richard Merkin

Souvent me Souvient

#4 2014-07-28 07:09:04

doghouse

I do actually have some comments on the gist of the article too, I just need a little time to bring them together in a somewhat coherent form.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#5 2014-07-28 10:03:50

fxh
Big Down Under.

#6 2014-07-28 10:13:23

fxh
Big Down Under.

Decent article but the author has a confusing definition of luxury. S/he mainly focusses on price and branding as a proxy for luxury rather than say, quality and scarcity.

I always get a giggle when Starbucks is used to illustrate quality or style etc in coffee shops. Their experience here was a huge disaster.

#7 2014-07-28 10:22:37

doghouse

Starbucks represents idiocy.

#8 2014-07-28 11:48:00

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#9 2014-07-28 12:34:34

doghouse

#10 2014-07-28 14:09:24

Worried Man

This snippet about Rolls Royce should fit in here. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDizPU98sUk

Everyone's pandering to the mass market.  Mercedes recently introduced a car in the US touted as an affordable "luxury" car starting at $29,000, Porsche now makes a huge four-door sedan and a damn SUV.  I'm sure they'll be making a huge ugly pickup truck soon enough.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#11 2014-07-28 14:13:12

doghouse

My buddy had a Cayenne for a bit. I gave him a never ending ration of shit for it. It actually drove terribly too, one of the early ones based on the Volkswagen platform. The new ones perform better I understand.

#12 2014-07-28 14:19:50

Worried Man

I remember how pissed I was when I first saw one.  "A PORSCHE??!!"  I mean, from a business point of view I understand branching out and making something other than a sports coupe.  I see far more of the Cayennes and Panamera's than I do 911s or Caymans or Carreras (do they even make the Carrera anymore?).  I see a fair amount of Boxsters, which aren't very inspiring IMO.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#13 2014-07-28 14:36:24

Worried Man

#14 2014-07-28 15:20:33

doghouse

When I was in London last, I was like "Damn that new Bentley GT looks good" to which my buddy responded, "I'm just gonna wait for the Chrysler version to come out".

#15 2014-07-28 15:33:52

doghouse

#16 2014-07-29 04:57:49

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I've read the article now and I wonder if it could be written today?

In any event, the luxury and exotic are often quite interchangeable and this is probably a hang-up when only the international jet-set could afford to travel frequently to enjoy some exotic booze from London to New York, Cap Ferrat to Capri. I don't think it is only Americans who equate the foreign with luxury. I think its part of the human condition.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#17 2014-07-29 07:53:59

doghouse

^ True.

I think on a personal level that luxury is more fit as a noun. It's something beyond sustenance. It's not necessarily a quality concept, though that can be part of it.

#18 2014-07-29 08:07:29

Worried Man

^
I also think that luxury was once more closely aligned with good taste, elegance, and like you said earlier, quality.  I think our modern American concept of luxury is caught up in our strong desire for conspicuous consumption.  I think a lot of Americans see "luxury" as synonymous with "bling" at this point.  Bling is tacky.

#19 2014-07-29 09:07:12

doghouse

I agree on the bling part. What suburban America considers luxury is hilarious.

#20 2014-07-29 09:18:13

Worried Man

#21 2014-07-29 10:14:38

doghouse

That's the friggin heartbeat of middle America right there my friend. Hilarious/depressing.

I'm ashamed to say we build a lot of these neighborhoods (the sites, not the houses). I feel dirty. My brother had a good idea though, we should put a self destruct button on each one and keep it in our office. Sort of a "i brought you into this world, I can take you out" kinda thing.

#22 2014-07-29 11:54:11

Worried Man

^
I would honestly be embarrassed to live there.  I wouldn't want any of my friends, family, or coworkers coming over to my house.  If I had a million+ to spend on a house, you better believe it would not be in a place like that.

#23 2014-07-29 11:55:19

formby

Souvent me Souvient

#24 2014-07-29 11:59:54

Worried Man

^
Well, at least those have a bit of land.  I always joke about these "mansion" neighborhoods that boast huge houses with 6 bedrooms and 10 bathrooms, but they sit on tiny lots where you could reach out and touch your neighbor's house.  You spend 2 million dollars on the house, then the first night you move in you can hear the neighbors next door fighting or copulating.  You might as well get a condo or townhouse.  I can understand small lots or adjoining houses in an urban setting, but this is suburban America we're talking about here.  I'd rather spend most of my money on a nice piece of land. 

I admittedly kind of like the little recreated Austrian town. Haha.

#25 2014-07-29 12:06:42

doghouse

Board footer