You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-22 20:06:53

Twin Six

Style and Substance

Conventional wisdom maintains a dichotomy between style and substance, and where you find one, the absence of the other is naturally implied. This, it would seem, is a proposition to which we are fundamentally antagonistic.

Are we just a bunch of effete pretty boys revelling in decadence? Or are we dedicated to the pursuit of a style that bespeaks substance?

Where do we find the marriage of style and substance? Where are they completely divergent?

#2 2006-04-22 21:02:19

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

Re: Style and Substance

#3 2006-04-24 08:21:35

Twin Six

#4 2006-04-25 06:12:04

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#5 2006-04-28 07:01:37

Twin Six

#6 2006-04-29 01:23:05

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#7 2006-04-29 05:34:35

Twin Six

#8 2006-04-29 11:41:25

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I have to say that one saving grace I have as a "dandy" that makes my dressing acceptable or even admirable to those around me is the fact that I have little about myself that would be perceived as effeminate.

I believe my dad meant that i was frivolous. He is old skool and believes a pair of Alden shoes should last 3 generations.

I asked my dad today what he meant by that remark. He remembered saying it and he said he meant that I was someone who bought the best and a lot of the best without concern for the cost.

#9 2006-04-29 22:04:59

Twin Six

Sorry for my misinterpreting your father's remark, FNB.

I've often known people to make disparaging remarks centering on sexuality when they often have no clue about mine. I simply assumed your father's remark fell into that category. My father critisized me in much the same way yours did you, as a prodigal lover of luxury.

#10 2006-04-30 03:51:41

Tomasso

#11 2006-04-30 07:36:09

Marc Grayson

"‘The sense of being perfectly well dressed gives a feeling of inner tranquility which even religion is powerless to bestow." Ralph Waldo Emerson
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity. Having a purpose in life is not."  Oscar Wilde

#12 2006-04-30 16:43:09

jsprowls9

#13 2006-05-01 22:34:31

BraceBack Mountain

Oh, to be a dandy... sigh*

#14 2006-05-02 01:18:09

Incroyable

It's not a question of sexuality or habit; rather, it's a question of style, intellect, and certain human principles, which makes it worthwhile for one person to acquaint oneself with another.

However, many people are devoid of this practice and focus on one inane and insipid circumstance, which leads to unfortunate events.

Jukebox Babe

#15 2006-05-02 06:01:26

Abuggabu

#16 2006-05-02 07:09:58

Twin Six

#17 2006-05-04 14:10:13

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

An image came to mind today. Back in the beginning before I cared about clothes. My parents would take me shopping and look for clothing, especially for my Dad. I remember I never paid attention and that annoyed my father. He paid particular attention to what he wanted and he made sure he got things that worked. Poor man couldnt even put a tie on a white shirt. He still calls me for suggestions.

Mom would bring back bubblegum pink cords for me and I would roll my eyes. Seersucker suits and poplin ones I could live with and of course the sports jacket and blazers and the myriad accesories.

I always cared about clothes  but I never cared. I just put things on and never paid attention after that. Somehow by reading about and painting lead soldiers plus Mom's talent for pattern mixing it clicked. I do know other people started noticing I had done something special in the manner that I wearing an article or combination that I wasnt even aware i had accomplished myself.

Ill never forget the odd jolt I got when someone asled me why I was wearing a particualr item. it had never occured to me that was a "why", just what i liked but I started to realize that what i liked interested others. At one point my gf's dad asked me where he could get a tie like mine (It was a Chipp Tie and I still have it!), which made my inner eyes slit like pillboxes. I had no idea what this unique "power" I had was and I found it as unsettling as I did flattering.

Then I got the Moers book as a gift from her mother. It was a bit weird reading about yourself in the first chapter. I rather wondered if it wasnt like those daily horoscopes which seem to universally apply. In retrospect its even creepier that her mom had me pegged. Though, I always thought she liked me more than her daughter.

But when did I go from not caring to caring? I would like to know myself because it has proven a double edged blade. I will keep pondering it. However at some point, I just became aware. Qualities of clothes would excite me even if I didnt know what they were called, from a certain richness of the wool to a certain suppleness of the shoe leather.

I can barely remember that period now which is why a rare glint back to that time, when "doing it well" was an unconscious act, is memorable for me.

Board footer