You are not logged in.

#251 2018-12-06 15:20:08

Berkeley_Breathes

Re: Shetlands

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#252 2018-12-06 15:23:08

Berkeley_Breathes

Plus, Jack at RB wrote his PhD dissertation at Oxford on logos and stuff like that. I love the J. Press label, the Shaggy Dog label, the old BB Makers label... Ivy and prep has some of the classiest branding in the world, in my opinion. I still think these labels would look great big on tote bags, small on ball caps, on graphic t-shirts (like RB has done with this label), etc... It's a cool way of keeping tradition vibrant and alive, in my opinion. I don't want to replace all my traditionial ties and suits and shirts with those things, but then neither does Rowing Blazers - they're just adding another color to the mix. What's wrong with that?

"The only comment a gentleman’s outfit should generate is that he is properly dressed for the occasion" - Calvin Trillin

#253 2018-12-06 16:01:29

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Well I still don't like them, but then I'm not the target audience.

smile

I guess the acid test is how many of them they sell.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#254 2018-12-06 16:07:31

Berkeley_Breathes

No one has to like them... I just think acknowledging differing tastes is important smile

Take a look on the RB website. Most are sold out of S and M already, some out of XL too. The green is completely gone.

#255 2018-12-06 21:19:43

mhalat

#256 2018-12-06 21:51:32

Berkeley_Breathes

#257 2018-12-07 00:44:07

walker177

#258 2018-12-07 07:55:10

mhalat

#259 2018-12-07 08:11:22

Berkeley_Breathes

Same here, man. I could have toned my response down a lot too, and should have. End of the day we're all friends here, it's all good, debate is essential smile

I think you're right, trad is normcore, I think there are the other layers I mentioned as well -  perhaps some of the complexity of this issue is that the real answer is that it's both of our perspectives smashed together, lots of arrows pointing in disparate directions...?

#260 2018-12-07 13:48:29

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Mmm ... you guys been having an extra Weetabix in the mornings lately?

To me Rowing Blazers are trying to appeal to a younger market (skilfully avoiding the youth word), nobody under 40 is going to wear much of this stuff. A bit like Jack Wills they are trying to grab a slice of the RL action with preppy collegiate wear, although the quality is better I assume. Nice that it's made in the USA too and if it inculcates the habit of wearing decent clothes that aren't stitched together by children or exploited people, so much the better.

The article is just about selling clothes - nothing wrong with that.

Have you had a look in the shop Beebers, it looks worth a visit for interest? ... Actually I wonder if all this conservative trad gear you post on here is just a front and that really you're mooching around in multi stripe blazers?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#261 2018-12-07 18:25:34

Berkeley_Breathes

#262 2019-01-26 08:05:28

Treble Clef

Picked up a yellow YMC Shetland from Peggs & Son sale. Not a brand I have worn much, but looking at their knitwear there is some appeal for those who like classic with something of a twist (like the Norwegian / Birds eye). Some nice shades and very soft (unlike Jamieson's), worth a look at sale prices. I guess they are made by Harley or Laurence Odie?

https://www.youmustcreate.com/products/ymc-mens-knitwear/

Edit - added link.

Last edited by Treble Clef (2019-01-26 09:47:44)

#263 2019-01-27 00:04:19

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#264 2019-01-27 00:16:12

Horace

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#265 2019-01-27 00:37:47

Horace

#266 2019-01-27 09:49:32

Berkeley_Breathes

#267 2019-01-29 01:52:38

Horace

Look forward to it.   Re those old shibboleths.  I’d love to see someone busy or put to rest all the clothing myths repeated by Boyer and maybe the more foundational Flusser and a few who came before him.   et al. And I think he’s a good writer.  But even the ivy blogs need correction.  Maybe esp because it’s so easy to get something published these  days   Lazy and maybe these kids just weren’t taught research.  Having said that, journalists are lazy   And that’s what most of that writing was.  With some exceptions I think. Unfair?

#268 2019-01-29 08:49:52

stanshall

Polar vortex has sent some cool weather my way and I'm going to be able to wear a Shetland today.  Yay.  Okay?

I used to love seeing all those Shaggy Dogs stacked in the old J. Press store and in the window displays, the profusion of beautiful colors definitely made me happy and relieved the seasonal affect disorder that would naturally be suffered by somebody from a warm place ......

I wish I had been truly punk enough to wear some of the less staid colors but I almost always stuck with blues, grays, and lovat blue-greens, better I suppose in the long run but I should have also gone for one or two psychedelic ones, these sweaters used to not be that expensive ......

bummed that I let a rare striped Brooks Brothers Shetland get away on Etsy this year but couldn't justify the stockpiling of things I wouldn't really be using

the smell of new wool is one of my favorites, and the old J. Press shop was redolent in early October when Shaggys were fully in stock

back then for me it was J. Press for Shetlands and Brooks Brothers for lambswool v-necks, which one was chosen depended on my tolerance for wool that day

these were pre-fleece days, so the choice was cotton sweatshirt or wool sweater, and as far as pairing the wool sweater with an ocbd, that didn't always work out because the ocbd was a tricky beast for a college student, the ocbds would get wrinkled and then would have to be laundered and pressed but who had time or money for that?

hence the Shetland sweater and t-shirt combo, born of necessity but it turned out to be something I always enjoyed wearing a lot

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#269 2019-01-29 10:01:15

Berkeley_Breathes

#270 2019-01-29 12:27:28

stanshall

/\  good stuff fellas, interesting reads, of course clothing is always signifying, no clothing can be worn without statements being made and signals being sent ....

#271 2019-01-29 13:17:15

stanshall

today has been a Shetland day for real, dug out Old Brown, a brushed wool crewneck made in Scotland, deluxe, dating from fall '96, bought at a late great Jivy shop in NYC

Shaggy Dogs in various shades of brown were frequently available but not every year

this Old Brown sweater from today is just as fluffy as a Shaggy Dog but the weave is a little denser and less netlike than some Shaggys I have known

it has been a gas to wear you today old friend

#272 2019-01-30 11:48:04

stanshall

#273 2019-01-31 12:11:00

Classic

#274 2019-01-31 15:52:20

stanshall

/\  no Classic, I meant that there was a striped Brooks sweater somebody else had on Etsy that I had been eyeballing for months and when I went back to check it recently it had sold, but thanks anyway!

#275 2019-02-01 00:19:09

Classic

Board footer