• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Coffee bars, diners, forgotten roadside eateries

#26 2014-08-12 13:31:29

Oliver

Re: Coffee bars, diners, forgotten roadside eateries

Worried Man wrote:

^
That guy bugs the heck outta me.  The so-called "diners" he visits are exactly the kind I'm talking about.  An $18 hamburger marinated in bourbon and smothered in some kind of caramelized onions served with a side of fancy tortilla chips isn't going to be anywhere on the menu in a real greasy spoon.

He makes me nauseous.

There was a hillarious and fairly recent NYTimes review of his newish (I guess?) restaurant in Times Square that's worth a Google search.

#27 2014-08-12 13:33:13

Worried Man

And what's up with his appearance?!!  It's like he's trying to look and act like a really annoying 14-year-old kid.  I'll take the Camaro any day though. smile

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#28 2014-08-12 13:35:41

Oliver

Here it is: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dinin … ican-Giant vibrator-bar-in-times-square.html

#29 2014-08-12 13:41:24

doghouse

Worried Man wrote:

Evans Pharmacy, in Conyers, Georgia still operates this soda fountain.  Burgers, dogs, ice cream, shakes, sodas...   

http://mainstreet.conyersga.com/portals … ns%202.jpg

Yeah, the pharmacy over in Cape Charles, Va., Rayfields, does as well.

https://explodingpotatoes.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/img00001-20101211-1140.jpg

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#30 2014-08-12 13:46:08

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen
Ivyist

doghouse wrote:

Worried Man wrote:

Evans Pharmacy, in Conyers, Georgia still operates this soda fountain.  Burgers, dogs, ice cream, shakes, sodas...   

https://explodingpotatoes.files.wordpre … 1-1140.jpg

What is Truck Icing, Bunker or Blown?

Confused in Europe!

“As I looked out into that night sky, with all those infinite stars, it made me realise how unimportant they are.”

Peter Cook

#31 2014-08-12 13:48:09

Worried Man

Oliver wrote:

Here it is: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/dinin … ican-Giant vibrator-bar-in-times-square.html

The spam blocker is messing up the URL.  But I read the review - all two pages of it.  The food critic absolutely goes bonkers ripping that place a new one.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#32 2014-08-12 13:52:21

Worried Man

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen wrote:

doghouse wrote:

Worried Man wrote:

Confused in Europe!

I think that's an old sign for freight truckers pulling refrigerated trailers.  Before electric refrigeration units, they used to have to actually put ice into their trailers to keep the perishable goods cold.  It is a sign that you probably would have seen at many gas stations and truck stops along the highway back in the day.

#33 2014-08-12 13:52:58

doghouse

IvyLeagueOfGentlemen wrote:

doghouse wrote:

Worried Man wrote:

Confused in Europe!

Bunker ice is hunks shoveled into an ice box on the container, blown is just that, blown over the fish. Delivered by truck to marina where train cars and trucks picked up fresh fish.

Edit:WM got the gist of it.

Last edited by doghouse (2014-08-12 13:54:24)

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#34 2014-08-12 13:55:04

Worried Man

^
I guess there was the equivalent for railroad cars too then.

#35 2014-08-12 13:55:38

Oliver

WM, Have you ever been to the original Woolworth's soda fountain in Asheville?

That one's been on my list for a while.

There's another great pharmacy in Knoxville. Sometime in the next 2 years, I want to take a roadtrip from Luoisville to Natural Bridge and Cumberland Falls SP, on to Knoxville for a night, continue to Gatlinburg for a week or so around the Great Smokies, then cut down to Asheville (with roadstops in Dillsboro along the way, thanks to the Sterns!) to spend a few nights in the Log Cabin Motor Court from Thunder Road, then continue along to Mount Airy (home of The Andy Griffith Show!) and finally end up in Charlotte for a couple of nights before flying home.

#36 2014-08-12 13:58:12

doghouse

Worried Man wrote:

^
I guess there was the equivalent for railroad cars too then.

Same basic thing. Cape Charles is a hub for waterman bringing in the catch, and it went out via truck, train and boat.

But as you say, it was a nationwide thing back then.

#37 2014-08-12 14:00:16

doghouse

Oliver wrote:

There's another great pharmacy in Knoxville. Sometime in the next 2 years, I want to take a roadtrip from Luoisville to Natural Bridge and Cumberland Falls SP, on to Knoxville for a night, continue to Gatlinburg for a week or so around the Great Smokies, then cut down to Asheville (with roadstops in Dillsboro along the way, thanks to the Sterns!) to spend a few nights in the Log Cabin Motor Court from Thunder Road, then continue along to Mount Airy (home of The Andy Griffith Show!) and finally end up in Charlotte for a couple of nights before flying home.

Hurry up because the Natural Bridge is collapsing.

I also would give Gatlinburg a miss, but that's just me. I went once and that was more than enough. Unless you really like Dolly Parton.

Asheville is awesome though.

#38 2014-08-12 14:02:10

Acton_Baby

Worried Man wrote:

I'm sure most Southern diner owners would scoff at the thought of offering pastrami on the menu.  Sort of like asking a Northern deli owner why grits aren't on the menu.

Ooooh, shrimp 'n' grits now that's a fine breakfast/brunch.
Almost up there with a 'hangtown fry' (a soft cooked oyster omelette with a bacon 'wig') in the fishy brunch stakes,
don't know if the 'hangtown' is particularly Southern but I've only ever seen this on the menu in New Orleans, Atlanta and a 'Soul Food' place in Detroit.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#39 2014-08-12 14:02:26

Oliver

I've had many pow-wows here upstate

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/1001274_10201103800331978_2056218663_n.jpg?oh=addb3fe0e863581bb88b0d3afa121580&oe=5472CA98&__gda__=1415948357_3a0e99ac78fbf698210f346909b9e0a4

http://www.roadsidefans.com/features/taconic-parkway-ny

The Taconic's even better, they roast their own Turkey and beer batter their own onion rings.

Last edited by Oliver (2014-08-12 14:02:53)

#40 2014-08-12 14:03:27

doghouse

If anyone wants some legit Southern Recipes, get this months issue of Garden & Gun. It's loaded.

It's a good magazine to get anyway really.

#41 2014-08-12 14:09:31

Worried Man

Oliver wrote:

Yes, I recommend it.  The Woolworth's store itself is just full of touristy, artsy bric-a-brac, but hit up the counter for lunch.  I've been to all the places you've mentioned aside from the motor court, and all I can say is get ready for some great people watching in Gatlinburg.  Whoa!!  In Gatlinburg you may want to eat at the Pancake Pantry, a huge pancake house which has been serving heaping piles of buttery pancakes since 1960.  Sometimes I get the craving to drive through the night to arrive there in time for breakfast. 
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/2947846979_23f7dbd4b0.jpg

Close to the Pancake Pantry, tucked back in a little walkway, is the Donut Friar, which is also a long-standing (since 1969) Gatlinburg establishment. MMMMMmmmmm

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7276/7790192946_4c0ba6788d_z.jpg

#42 2014-08-12 14:12:01

Oliver

doghouse wrote:

Oliver wrote:

Hurry up because the Natural Bridge is collapsing.

I also would give Gatlinburg a miss, but that's just me. I went once and that was more than enough. Unless you really like Dolly Parton.

Wow, I'd never heard that before. It's collapsing of natural causes??

I would just use Gatlinburg as a jump-off point for the Great Smokies. There are tons of great mid century roadfood stops like Buckhorn Inn, The Peddler Steakhouse, Greenbriar Restaurant, Howard's Restaurant, Lineberger's Seafood Co., The Best Italian Cafe & Pizzeria, Hungry Bear BBQ, Log Cabin Pancake House, Pancake Pantry, Mountain Lodge Restaurant, The Historic Old Mill and Restaurant, Laurel Springs Lodge, The Wild Plum Tea Room, Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine Distillery, etc. Plus tons of vintage attractions like the demented looking Ober Gatlinburg (1960's faux-Swiss Alps themed resort), Hillbilly Golf, Hollywood Stars Cars Museum that has the original Herbie. And of course, it's right on the Blue Ridge Parkway and close to endless scenic hikes (Grotto Falls, Appalachian Trail, etc.) and great outdoors highlights from Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail to Little River and Newfound Gap Road, Clingmans Dome, Cades Cove, Ramsey Cascades, Cataloochee Valley, Noah "Bud" Ogle Homestead, The Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, Chimney Rock SP. I want to try and visit in autumn when the foliage is supposed to be spectacular. I'd spend 3/4 nights at Marshall's Creek Rest Motel and then a night or two at Le Conte Lodge in GS Nat'l Park, which has been at the top of my list for years. I've always read that Gatlinburg was supposed to be stunning and photos online don't contradict that!

#43 2014-08-12 14:12:10

Worried Man

doghouse wrote:

Don't get Gatlinburg confused with Pigeon Forge, where Dollywood is located.  Although both horrid tourist traps, Gatlinburg is the more bearable of the two.  I was called a f-a-g last time I was in Pigeon Forge.  I'd at least do breakfast at the Pancake Pantry.

#44 2014-08-12 14:15:10

Oliver

Worried Man wrote:

Oliver wrote:

Yes, I recommend it.  The Woolworth's store itself is just full of touristy, artsy bric-a-brac, but hit up the counter for lunch.  I've been to all the places you've mentioned aside from the motor court, and all I can say is get ready for some great people watching in Gatlinburg.  Whoa!!  In Gatlinburg you may want to eat at the Pancake Pantry, a huge pancake house which has been serving heaping piles of buttery pancakes since 1960.  Sometimes I get the craving to drive through the night to arrive there in time for breakfast. 
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3242/294 … dbd4b0.jpg

Close to the Pancake Pantry, tucked back in a little walkway, is the Donut Friar, which is also a long-standing (since 1969) Gatlinburg establishment. MMMMMmmmmm

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7276/7790 … 788d_z.jpg

Great info!!!

As you can see, I've already been hipped to most of those places but I'm adding Donut Friar to my list, haha.

I'm gonna shoot you an email when we finally make this trip happen and you'll have to meet us somewhere en route!

#45 2014-08-12 14:19:08

Worried Man

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6213/6306844621_100e2b44ae_o.jpg

#46 2014-08-12 14:25:31

Worried Man

Another uniquely American institution, the drive-in restaurant, also went the way of the diner and the lunch counter.  Essentially a diner with drive-up curb service.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2773/5863393994_7ca95924c6_o.jpg

#47 2014-08-12 14:29:17

Worried Man

Oliver wrote:

Great info!!!

As you can see, I've already been hipped to most of those places but I'm adding Donut Friar to my list, haha.

I'm gonna shoot you an email when we finally make this trip happen and you'll have to meet us somewhere en route!

That would be real fine.  We literally just stumbled upon the Donut Friar.  They were about to close but there was a little old lady working behind the counter.  She welcomed us in and I used some of her donuts and coffee to quell the hangover that was, well, hanging over.

#48 2014-08-12 14:29:17

doghouse

Worried Man wrote:

doghouse wrote:

Don't get Gatlinburg confused with Pigeon Forge, where Dollywood is located.  Although both horrid tourist traps, Gatlinburg is the more bearable of the two.  I was called a f-a-g last time I was in Pigeon Forge.  I'd at least do breakfast at the Pancake Pantry.

I stayed in the Gatlinburg Holiday Inn. There is literally no reason for that other than making ones way over to Dollywood.

#49 2014-08-12 14:33:02

Worried Man

Pigeon Forge is an American cultural abomination.  A total reality check on the state of the Union right there.  Lots of really fat people riding those three-wheeled "motorcycles".  And getting called a f-a-g by some redneck teenager didn't really put me in the best mood.  Dollywood is just a countrified Six Flags amusement park.

#50 2014-08-12 14:33:37

Oliver

doghouse wrote:

Worried Man wrote:

doghouse wrote:

I stayed in the Gatlinburg Holiday Inn. There is literally no reason for that other than making ones way over to Dollywood.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gatlinb … CAgQ_AUoAQ

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Coffee bars, diners, forgotten roadside eateries

Board footer