You are not logged in.

#101 2022-06-23 11:41:20

AFS

Re: Where can I find Corduroy Trousers?

If we can talk chinos we can, once again, raise the subject of corduroy trousers. 
My L.L.Bean no longer fit and were not especially pleasing.  Actually, that's something of an understatement.  US-made, shipped over from the US. 
My nice Italian-made Paul Stuart moss green, slightly baggy, cuffed also went the way of all flesh.  They were an inexpensive bargain circa 2008.  Outgrew them, unfortunately. 
I quite liked all-cotton 'Merit' - but they wore out too quickly. 
Bill's Khakis I never much cared for.  I had the ones in dark chocolate brown.
Now bought USA-made Lands End. 
We're not exactly spoiled for choice.

#102 2022-07-04 04:08:44

Horace

Khakis and cords among my favorite. But i feel like it’s harder and harder to find good stuff with the right details.  I should think less about it.  But mid wale? Wide wale? Narrow wale?  Never paid a lot of attention to this in the past.  Shops would just present and I’d like.  Too much to think about. 

Definitely flat front.  Though i had some great forward pleated ones from 80’s and 90’s i wore forever. 

Cuff in past were key.  Now not so sure.  Some of the Brit makers have nice cuts.

As for Bills — what’s going on with that company now?  Still there?  Still same?  They used to have the old military cut -/ almost an empire waist. 

I liked the narrower cut bills which were not nearly as tight as some of the British firms which are cut for those emaciated old aristos surviving on bread and water in the ol’ house but I’ll have to read up on this. 

O’Connell has the offerings.  But how many shades of brown from stone to a mustardy yellow.  Too many choices. 

Andover shop was a huge proponent of forward pleats in a lot of offerings.  I don’t mind that on a suit (have no idea if this is now dated but given the money i spent on them, I’m not changing) but for new casual Trou the flat front suits.

Last edited by Horace (2022-07-04 04:09:01)

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#103 2022-07-04 04:13:23

Horace

I just saw yucas post on rise.  Agreed what the hell with the low rise.  A traditional medium rise is probs what a high rise is today.  But the low rise doesn’t look good.  Can’t wear it with a shirt and jacket and look right.  The whole aesthetic is wrong. 

At the same time depending upon context a 30’s high rise isn’t right either.

""This is probably the last Deb season...because of the stock market, the economy, Everything..." - W. Stillman.

#104 2022-07-04 04:43:09

RobbieB

I think I've been waiting 20 years for the 'low rise fad' ( and tight fitting jackets)  to be replaced by a more sensible rise in trousers. I just don't get low rise. Uncomfortable and looks awful particularly with a jacket. I can accept medium rise in jeans and 5 pocket cords but not in a suit or more formal trousers.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

#105 2022-07-04 05:03:16

AFS

Gosh, yes, that Hollywood/Big Band/swanky nightclub high rise.  With about a dozen pleats on either side.  Often peaked lapels.  We were watching 'Double Indemnity' the other weekend and found Fred MacMurray's look rather puzzling.  A BD, though. 
Cords often seem to come with pleats, as do, say, RL chinos.  Bean, however, are plain fronted.

Board footer