You are not logged in.

#1 2014-08-27 11:33:55

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

The Trouble with American Shoes....

The lack of Dainite soles, even in the mighty Aldens, make them a seasonal shoe in rain sodden climes.

I am getting my Autumn through to spring shoes out and 90% of them are Crockett & Jones, followed-up by Henry Maxwell and Tim Little, the common denominator being the highly functional and ergonomically pleasing rubber sole that is Dainite. Is there an American option? I think not.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#2 2014-08-27 11:47:35

Acton_Baby

Re: The Trouble with American Shoes....

I had a pair of vintage Dexter 'longwings' with a  (Dexter/Vibram branded) commando sole from the early 80s don't know if it was a common option.
Some current AE models have a Vibram 'mini-lug' sole ( a bit like the commando sole but with a smaller lug depth ).
Alden have their 'all-weather walker' range, but they are a slightly different beast- a rubber centre sole with deep grooves.

http://www.aldenshoe.com/DrawProducts.aspx?Action=GetDetails&CategoryID=6&ProductID=95&PageID=8

Rancourt offer quite a few inclement weather options, you can view them on their website via the 'design your own shoe' web-app.

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#3 2014-08-27 12:11:12

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#4 2014-08-27 12:23:59

Acton_Baby

^ your right about the AE attempt.

Another option is possibly something by Paraboot

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#5 2014-08-27 15:08:44

stanshall

It seems that some people have had their Aldens resoled with Dainite soles, there are some pictures online of the projects, I think they look good.

Alden should definitely offer the Dainite soles on some all-weather models to really make them more suitable for inclement weather and I'm surprised they haven't yet.

I have the Dainite soles on my nice pair of French wet-weather shoes and they're much more solid feeling underfoot than Alden's leather and crepe combination soles.

This idea's time has come ......

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

Board footer