You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The subtle difference's between Ivy and Americana

#126 2014-09-03 15:31:33

doghouse

Re: The subtle difference's between Ivy and Americana

Me neither dude!

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#127 2014-09-03 15:56:24

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#128 2014-09-03 16:00:16

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#129 2014-09-04 13:21:37

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#130 2014-09-04 13:46:03

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Has anyone mentioned Buckskin and monster truck fests yet ?

(url=)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abmrAf0evgk(url/)

#131 2014-09-04 13:47:33

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#132 2014-09-04 13:51:21

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#133 2014-09-04 13:54:39

Worried Man

As long as I can remember, around here, the sherpa jean jacket when worn by white guys usually had 1970's -'80s "stoner" connotations, a la Dazed and Confused. (not even sure if anyone in that movie wears one)

#134 2014-09-04 13:59:46

Worried Man

#135 2014-09-04 14:00:32

Worried Man

#136 2014-09-04 14:01:38

doghouse

#137 2014-09-04 14:02:34

Worried Man

#138 2014-09-04 14:04:23

Worried Man

#139 2014-09-04 14:05:29

doghouse

#140 2014-09-04 14:30:43

Oliver

#141 2014-09-04 16:31:38

stanshall

#142 2014-09-04 16:33:05

stanshall

#143 2014-09-04 20:59:04

stanshall

Cliff Robertson does wear a fleece-lined brown jacket in J. W. Coop, it looks like nicer fleece than sherpa pile, it could be real sheepskin, but it's a similar idea ... he's a rodeo rider in the film .....

the jacket can be seen in this fan clip entitled "JW COOP vs CCR Travelin' Band (airplane version)":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdEhscABd9s

#144 2014-09-09 07:59:49

Thee Captain

Where’s Thee Captain when you need him AC?!?!?

Just where you left the poor sod…tied to a bed covered in Nutella with an orange in his gob and a couple of ferrets up his jacksy….

Fank Gawd for the cleaning lady….

Right – where are we now….?

Ah mes petites…la différence subtile…
*strokes chin* *scratches nuts* *belches* *squeezes out an emission of gas* *reaches for absinthe* *does some gentle stretching* *applies some more lippy* *takes off a bit of rouge*

As a keen naturist these days I have to say this is the end of my comment.

But if I may ejaculate on the topic…… (I’ll need a minute here…well 17.25 secs to be precise….)
Ivy is a 3 letter word:
Americana is 9 so clearly x3 better….
OK OK… Bollocks aside, it’s all nonsense to me tbh..
I’d say my only link to “Ivy” is through John Simons over the years but that’s just through my desire for a “classic” item…well to my eyes at least… but I’ve never really seen John’s as just an Ivy place.. he’s always had what may be considered for this argument….”Americana items”..
Various “Classic items” have been listed here so no need to expand.. t’is all in thee eye of the beholder anyhoo..we all find a style we like and develop and things we wouldn’t go near..
Tbh, I have absolutely no interest these days in the whole College/Fraternity thing whatsoever (apart from the older stuff maybe ) which is clearly the most popular on here and why not…t’is a TALK IVY FORUM innit… it’s a look & that’s just it for me…a LOOK…as me wanting to wear overalls, boots, chores and the like… I find absolutely no need to explain it either...there's no right or wrong here is there? Just because we may not have any desire to wear a certain thing, we're all essentially dressing up to some kind of code ain't we?
I seem to have gone backwards as I’ve got older.. musically and in thee how me dresseth department?!?
The Yankie Doodles take on here is interesting of course but the joy of being a Limey is that part of me has always wanted to look like a CB Radio enthusiast he he…
I love Pendeltons for example, but wear mine with big pants/jeans and boots mostly… I seem em as more a workwear item.. & maybe sacrilege to some.. but I’ve never really liked The Beach Boys or all that surf shite really…again..each to their own.. MAYBE IF I’D GROWN UP in Cali….???
But of course…they look great with slim jims/purcells etc. – stuff is BOUND to cross over…
I love G-1s/A2s.. Army/Navy bits….workwear/chores/voluminous strides/loop collars… and of course RED WINGS…
I’ve returned to this look big time in recent months…for me I think I can say it’s “MY LOOK” deep down…and whilst I appreciate other stuff on here, I’m afraid it just doesn’t give Thee Captain much of a boner really…
Ivy for me is many things of course… but guess I’d use “classic Americana” for most folk I come into contact with to sum up any of these looks…. I’ve never thought of myself as Ivy.. and tbh, wouldn’t say I’m Americana really…I didn’t get to be a French PONCE for nuttin my chittlins’..
Now - Who doesn’t love a Brooks Makers…?
But I’ve hardly worn a button down this summer….I can go off em just as easily as I’ll fall back in love with them..
Of course my Americana is my own interpretation, honed over the years.. and what may be perceived as a desperate item of apparel for an American listee (or UK/other for that matter) is maybe a “quality garment” pour moi… I could still kit meself out from Dave’s NY if I had to….
The thought that I may look like BIG AL from Wisconsin wouldn’t even be a factor.. if me likey…ME LIKEY..
A big factor of course is the vintage thing…and again not so much a major player for me these days..
My fave items now are mostly new  - Buzz Rickson/Vetra/Keydge/Ben Davis/Dickies/LVC…and footwear is ALWAYS new…Red Wing/Paraboot RULE right now!
Don’t own any Filson for the record, tho’ it all looks mighty fine quality wise!
Saying that, I picked up some tremendous coats from H&J last year which I ain’t gonna find in the high street so all swings n roundabouts in truth… and no doubt everyone’s fave 3/2 Roller is a vintage item but I have no desire at the moment to seek them out..
So Ivy/Americana.. it’s all the same old shizzle to me… it’s just being content with a look that may or may not tick the boxes of others but I certainly wouldn’t want to have any “RULES” in my decision making…really dunno how folk can say they’d never wear this or that… you just never know what you might (re)appreciate down the line…
Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve always moved around styles personally…. Get way too bored with a certain “look”…

Clothes – they all good peeps.. WEAR & ENJOY!

P.S. Today - Am in ss loop collar, 1927 501s, my oldest Vetra chore and of course Flatleys… I’ve a shaven nut and a beard that needs a trim….I probably look like a complete cnut to many.. but maybe that’s just the way I like it…

P.P.S. Love you longtime xx

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#145 2014-09-09 08:11:53

doghouse

#146 2014-09-09 08:15:47

Thee Captain

Oh very droll Dogmeister.... I'd expand some more only my luchtime burrito is making its break for freedom.....NOW!!!

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#147 2014-09-09 08:17:13

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

#148 2014-09-09 08:23:08

Worried Man

That Captain sure has a way with words... and imagery.

#149 2014-09-09 08:31:15

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#150 2014-09-09 10:23:35

stanshall

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » The subtle difference's between Ivy and Americana