You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-13 10:40:27

Oliver

Would you wear nantucket reds?

I have a pair of linen strides from O'Connell's that I could never bring myself to tailor as they lean a bit too "preppy" for my taste. I have a great 1960's Stanley Blacker cotton striped blazer that would pair perfectly but I'm still not sold on the idea. I'm considering selling them on. Just curious what your thoughts are on nantucket reds and if anyone has got any vintage photos for inspiration from the mid century boom years?

#2 2014-09-13 10:43:00

farrago
Ambassador Of Ivy

Re: Would you wear nantucket reds?

Can't do this or any of the GTH combinations. My adventurous side is limited to a pink OCBD or a purple bold stripe.

#3 2014-09-13 11:00:54

stanshall

I think they can look alright, I've seen plenty of people wear proper Nantucket red pants and shorts and look good in them.  But linen and poplin reds never look right because they won't fade.  I was once given a pair of reds many years ago but I gave them away because they weren't right for me, the color was too colorful for pants, for me.  I can only wear pants in shades of gray, blue, khaki, or olive, anything else is a bit wild, for me.  Shorts are a different story, I like madras shorts a lot and will wear virtually any color of madras shorts in the right setting.

If you like the faded sun-washed salmony color of real Reds, then wear them, but in cotton canvas so they get that fade.  Reds in other materials will not look right as reds qua reds but if you like a deeper cranberry color then why not?

I just don't like red or pink pants on me but some of my friends have them and wear them and they don't offend me.

Last edited by stanshall (2014-09-13 11:27:26)

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#4 2014-09-13 11:02:04

Oliver

#5 2014-09-13 11:03:52

Oliver

#6 2014-09-13 11:10:11

doghouse

Yes.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#7 2014-09-13 11:16:13

The Absintheist

On a more general note, I don't usually buy anything that is 'on trend' at the moment but rather give it a few years to cool down. Another example would be Polo coats, what with all those post-twenties girls wearing camel coats. On the other hand I just ordered a duffle, after it got usurped as an overcoat for business wear (!) a few years ago, this being Switzerland.

#8 2014-09-13 14:42:45

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Would I wear Nantucket Reds? 

Well up until this week no, but I acquired a pair from the J Press sale a few weeks ago, a great cut and a nice muted colour, I have been waiting for the right moment to deploy them. I was in Washington D.C this week with Mrs Woof and the time felt right to lose my Nantucket virginity. I wore them with a pale blue pinstripe BD and a navy blue Keydge slack jacket for a smart restaurant venue. In that setting, a warm climate with plenty of madras and seersucker being sported, the Reds felt just fine. I'm not so sure about the UK though and I suspect they will largely be a holiday trouser for me. I haven't bought one of those belts with little crabs on it either wink

No pictures I'm afraid but here are the pants in question:

http://www.jpressonline.com/cotton-twill-trousers-red/

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#9 2014-09-13 16:57:57

stanshall

Woof's Press twills are reds, and good ones, the color and fabric is right ... Ollie's aren't reds but are a different kind of country club/yacht club pants, quite preppy, loud on the street but could easily be a hit at some rum-soaked party, with a white shirt and a blue blazer, nice for a yacht-club rehearsal dinner or wedding  ...   

. with Ollie's striped sport coat I would wear ... ah who am I kidding?  I'm too shy for either the sport coat or the red pants, but with that jacket I'd wear medium gray tropical wool trousers rather than any shade of matching red trousers..  Sport coat makes a reasonably strong statement on its own.

#10 2014-09-13 17:32:12

Oliver

Man I'm a dumdum... I actually have the same reds as woof from JP!

The O'Connell's pic looked kind of weird when I posted it. I must've just assumed since I buy most of my strides from O'Connell's. Mine are identical to woofs in color except they're in fact linen, as I originally posted: http://www.jpressonline.com/linen-trousers-red/

I normally wear the above jacket just as you said, with light grey tropical trousers and either white or light pink bd, popover or polo. I'm still hesitant to try out the reds though.

#11 2014-09-13 17:55:30

stanshall

the reds are nice with just a white buttondown or polo or a navy polo or a light blue ocbd or some blue striped ocbd, long or short-sleeves ... sunny day or out by a lit-up pool at night, obviously anywhere near some nice preferably salt water  .... do they absolutely have to be literally worn near the water to look right?  sort of.  D.C. is southern enough, and Woof is the kind of guy who looks distinguished in anything though.

if somebody gave me a nice pair of reds like the ones Woof and you have though I'd wear them for tropical Christmas maybe .....

wear them in good health and don't press them too sharply ..... I actually have a pair of Nantucket red cotton swim trunks from Andover, they're from the mid-'80s, I wore the hell out of them and they were cool .....

wear the reds with an old white ocbd and faded navy canvas deck shoes or some nice boat shoes or beach loafers like your Rancourts, if the reds are faded then the color has become neutral and you can treat them like any old pair of khaki chinos ........

#12 2014-09-13 19:12:41

captainpreppy

Curiously, I just got rid of my two pairs of "Nantucket Reds" a couple of weeks ago--mostly because I didn't care for the way they fit, also because the color is a bit too GTH for me at this point. I had bought these from LE @$20 a pair some years back. LE's term for them was "Picante Reds."

Had they fit better, I probably would have kept them, worn them occasionally. I have been in something of a wardrobe winnowing mode recently. So far this year I have gotten rid of 25 pairs of trousers, mostly casual, and purchased eight (six of them Bill's Khakis).

#13 2014-09-14 07:34:00

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#14 2014-09-14 08:05:18

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

I think like white pants, once you're over 5'8" tall you should avoid red pants like Vietnamise factory farmed king prawns.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#15 2014-09-14 08:19:17

doghouse

#16 2014-09-14 08:28:09

Film Noir Buff
Dandy Nightmare

I wear them as slacks, shorts and I like the same color for corduroys. Great color.

#17 2014-09-14 08:46:07

fxh
Big Down Under.

I have red chinos, cotton trousers and also cords.

I'm always troubled about compatible footwear. Black suede desert boots are good. I have one pair. But leather I'm never comfortable. Black leather too business/formal, brown dark doesn't look right, same with brown suede. A light tan boot or brogue shoe works but often feels too wintery for a cotton summer trouser. Is it just me?

I never wear loafers/slipons. I don't have any. I don't have boat shoes either. Although I feel in my waters I may be overcoming my a version to Sperry Topsiders in that reddish brown.

#18 2014-09-14 08:51:41

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Shame this site isn't updated anymore:

http://lookatmyfuckingredtrousers.blogspot.nl/

#19 2014-09-14 08:52:56

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Oh yes it is, here on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/lamfrt

#20 2014-09-14 08:54:44

doghouse

#21 2014-09-14 08:55:57

doghouse

#22 2014-09-14 10:13:54

Oliver

#23 2014-09-14 11:18:00

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I have the shorts but couldn't see me wearing full length.
Incidentally Mrs AC has wanted me to get pink chino's for a couple of years for some reason.
Its not going to happen.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#24 2014-09-14 11:24:41

Tommy

http://lookatmyfuckingredtrousers.blogspot.com/

Nuff said. ..

#25 2014-09-14 11:27:54

Tommy

No (real) offence ment

Board footer