You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-21 09:06:58

Oliver

Walking Shoes?

Do you have dedicated walking shoes?

What do you wear if you're going to be on your feet for 7 hours a day?

I'm trying to limit what I pack for Japan but I need to figure out what kind of footwear to bring to Tokyo. My feet are in bad shape. I developed plantar fasciitis last year from running in a vintage pair of Keds and now I get extreme pains and soreness if I'm on my feet for too many hours. I just ordered a pair of custom molded orthotic inserts that will hopefully help with that.

I'm planning on bringing a pair of black and brown gunboats each, and my canvas CVOs. I need to replace all of my loafers; none of them fit properly and they aren't suited to hours of walking. I can't wear the CVOs with sportcoats or proper trousers. I've considered desert boots or Playboys but they're heavy and take up too much space and weight in my luggage.

I'm just curious what you guys wear on your feet if you're going to be walking for hours on end or if you have a dedicated travel shoe?

Last edited by Oliver (2014-09-21 09:08:32)

#2 2014-09-21 09:31:57

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: Walking Shoes?

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2014-09-21 09:37:27

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Keds are definitely not running or walking shoes, I wore mine in Menorca and I was doing a good 15-20 clicks a day on the paths and my feet really felt it afterwards. They're not ideal.

If I was going to be in Japan this time of year, on my feet most of the day, I would be looking to sport a solid pair of brogues with dianite or topsies over the leather sole. Good shoes you should be able to wear all day, and a lot of the evening, no problem.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#4 2014-09-21 09:38:10

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Well Ivy be dammed when you are walking all day and have to watch your weight with luggage.
I have a pair of  Sperry gold cup collection boat shoes in Amaretto, that are practically indestructible and feel like you are
walking on feathers, they will be utilised heavily come my trip in October.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#5 2014-09-21 10:17:44

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#6 2014-09-21 10:19:33

MCM Geography Teacher

'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

#7 2014-09-21 10:26:55

sonofstan

Blundstones.

My work life used to involve being on my feet 16-20hrs a day, and they were the only thing that stood up to it - plus more or less waterproof, and warm. Good for hiking too, although the Goretex and walking pole types always look at you scornfully.

#8 2014-09-21 13:47:22

Yuca

Gunboats are the best for your feet ime. 2 pairs are all you need, to be alternated on a daily basis of course. If you walk a lot each day and also go out at night then something lighter for the evenings is also advisable. If you wear desert boots, loafers etc only at night your feet should be ok, assuming you don't do loads of walking at night.

Also slippers to be worn whenever you are in your hotel room; shoes are for outside.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#9 2014-09-21 14:27:43

Bop

What are clicks?

#10 2014-09-21 14:30:48

MCM Geography Teacher

'Bill Murden becomes the hero of the day as he rescues a confused duck.'

#11 2014-09-21 15:32:51

An Unseen Scene

When travelling if not loafer weather then two pairs of Derby's or Brogues in black/oxblood/brown as needed with good supportive sole.  Works across formal and smart casual, sometimes replace one with smart casual moc/casual boot in leather.  This combination works well for me when I am on my feet all day and often into evening events.

#12 2014-09-21 18:49:37

Oliver

Thanks for all the input; sounds like I should just stick with the alternating black/brown gunboats and hope those orthotics work out well! I'll try it around San Francisco for a couple of days beforehand to be sure. I'll look into Dainites (anyone else have experience with them?) and maybe a pair of rubber galoshes/overshoes to be safe. We're going to be walking non-stop during the day so hopefully I won't destroy my feet and or shoes doing this.

MCM, I'm actually an 8.5 man. I've got a similar pair of vintage brown pebble-grain PBTs.

AC, I've considered bringing a pair of Quoddys for rough weather but they're only good for casual wear and don't really offer much support for hours of walking. I messed up my feet real bad by doing that in fifty year old Keds. I've sometimes got debilitating pain (happened today) just walking around our apartment while talking on the phone.

Woof, I've considered running shoes but I just can't bring myself to do it. I may end up eating my words and buying a pair in Tokyo if need be but I'm packing flannels, tweeds, etc. and don't want to look like a big drip. I'll see how well those Arch Crafters custom orthotics work!

#13 2014-09-21 18:59:52

Oliver

I read that Dainite soles are really slippery - true? false?

I fell right on my knees last week in a pair of vintage beater weejuns coming out of a coffee shop at 9am carrying a double espresso in one hand and a fruit smoothie for the missus in the other. I did the splits right on the front stoop of the cafe and spilled the drink all over myself! It was straight out of a Mack Sennett short. Two women rushed out to help me up but it was only my dignity which was bruised. I should start carrying ski poles.

#14 2014-09-21 19:18:12

fxh
Big Down Under.

Usually traveling o/s I like to walk a lot and do a fair few clicks a day. I have "loose ankle" and my feet hurt like mad after walking /standing  - I wear hard custom orthotics. I usually wear cheap Roamers Desert boots. If its a bit wet and muddy - leather chukkas with soft rubber sole.

#15 2014-09-21 22:19:08

Senorservo2.0

Oliver: for traveling and extended walking there are only two options:

* Boots - these will take you through trails, inclement weather and uneven surfaces. They should be classic in style which will make them look good in chinos, flannels/cords and jeans.  Alden, Red Wing and Wolverine are all classics and will be quite appropriate in Japan.

* modern Walking sneakers with proper traction and support -

The loafers and longwings are great for short distances or in the evenings. But you don't want to put your feet and thus your vacation in jeopardy. 

Check out the Alden shop in the San Francisco  financial district - Alden's are better than vintage (trust me on this )
Made in USA with vintage machinery. Your feet will thank you.

#16 2014-09-21 22:45:04

Oliver

Thanks Jose!

I definitely can't pack boots. We're travelling for 5 weeks and have to pack carefully and light but I may well check out some Alden PTBs. I think I'll likely end up buying modern sneakers in Japan. I have my CVOs and I'll see how they feel once I get my orthotics.

fxh, where'd you get your custom orthos from? I've placed an order with Arch Crafters for a pair of customs but I need to call them tomorrow to figure out which would be best suited: http://archcrafters.com/customcomfort-insoles.html

I want to get a single pair that would work with all of the shoes mentioned; longwings and ptbs, sneakers, etc. I'm not sure if the "CustomComfort Active" or 3/4 "CustomComfort Dress" would be best. I'm really hoping these things are the answer I've been looking for! This plantar fasciitis is the worst.

#17 2014-09-22 01:08:47

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#18 2014-09-22 01:21:33

fxh
Big Down Under.

#19 2014-09-22 01:28:54

fxh
Big Down Under.

Oli - you must use an old broken in pair of shoes /boots. I don't know anything about sneakers maybe new sneakers would be ok. Most people I know swear by a worn in pair of decent but modest hiking boots. Or Blunnies. Australians travel a lot o/s and walk. One of my sisters always wears her RM Williams. Comfy. Broken in. Bridges casual and slightly less casual. Easy to slip off at airport security etc. In fact I think another one of the sisters always wears her RMs too.

#20 2014-09-22 04:46:51

Tomiskinky

Only Oliver would go running in 50 yr old trainer - jesus.... But I know your pain brother, I went to a physio for plantar fasciitis myself, spent a fortune having ultrasonic treatment etc (not caused by running in vintage footwear), never really got better and in the end just rested it when it flared. Then a bit back it was really bad, ended up going to A&E thinking I had a break, turns out I didn't have plantar fasciitis after all, in fact I have Sesamoiditis where the bones in the ball of my foot irritates the tendon - incredibly painful too.

Anyway - Guess what...... yup it flared up the day before New York, so I spent the entire trip in a lot of pain, bought some insoles whilst out there to try get a little relief but they were generic and didn't make a big difference. I took a pair of weejuns, CVO's and some canvas shoes thinking it would clear up in a day or so - it didn't, I wished to god I had packed my Walsh running shoes as these would have been much more supportive, light and cushioned - so if I were you Oli, I would certainly try find a trainer that will fit with the wardrobe you plan on taking as I think as good as a well made proper shoe that is broken in, if you have a foot problem, they can be very hard after a full days walking, but the insoles might help with this, if you can get them asap and wear them now you will avoid the nightmare I had. Not that it spoilt my trip, just had the wife huffing and sighing in my ear if I had to stop for a bit!

#21 2014-09-22 07:35:47

Oliver

#22 2014-09-22 07:45:05

Oliver

#23 2014-09-22 07:48:34

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#24 2014-09-22 07:48:34

Thee Captain

I have PF n all...on just one hoof mind....so can sympathize...think it started when I overcompensated for my knee knack on the other pin late last year...that and stiletto's of course...

I've upped my drinking and dancing and it seems to have improved vastly...tho' I'm BY NO MEANS OUT OF THE WOODS YET...IT SORTS ITSELF....i hopes!

My book "Planter Fasciitis....Why I oughta......" should be out for Xmas all being well....

10% DISCOUNT to all Ponces...

Flatleys ALWAYS for long time walkage meanwhile..

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#25 2014-09-22 07:52:56

Tomiskinky

I had some made for cycling, similar thing but you stand on a footbed that heats up and moulds to fit the foot. Costs about £120 but not sure if you can put them in shoes too - Some stores in NY had a scholl version that assessed your foot and then recommended an insole from a pro series based on the scan of the foot - they cost around $60 I think.

Board footer