#1 2014-09-24 03:50:24

The_Shooman
A pretty face

Exercise, fitness and health thread

#2 2014-09-24 07:03:07

Worried Man

Re: Exercise, fitness and health thread

1.  Yes
2.  Yes and no.  I've been trying to eat more non-GMO and more organic foods.  But I also like sweets.  And I imbibe in alcohol, but not daily. 
3.  Positive.  But Mrs. WM might sometimes beg to differ.

I jog 3-4 miles every other day, and then do calisthenics and floor exercises on the other days.  I'm primarily concerned with the cardiovascular health of my body, and I'm not into working out to build visible muscle, obviously. 

The lady is far more health conscious in terms of diet, and has been helping me add kale and spinach to my smoothies.  She's a potent ally of yours Shooey.  smile  But diet is really where I could make the most improvement.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#3 2014-09-24 07:39:12

doghouse

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Mrs WM sounds like Mrs Doghouse.

I do like to lift a little to keep some functional strength but mainly cycling is my exercise.

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#4 2014-09-24 08:25:29

Worried Man

Oh, and I play drums a lot, which actually must be pretty good exercise.  I can jog for 30 minutes and break a slight sweat, and drum for 30 minutes and be completely drenched.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#5 2014-09-24 10:01:52

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

Sadly, since getting the car and being conscripted into doing the school run of a morning, I'm missing my essential bike commute which kept me in tip-top shape. Now I need to join a gym, and as you know, sometimes you come in from work with your head buzzing with a thousand plates spinning on sticks and mixing a cocktail or having a large plantation rum is just the ticket for instant pressure release.

I'm getting a good diet, but not enough exercise and a bit more booze than I should be at the moment.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#6 2014-09-24 10:51:20

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

I do resistance training with weights and machines in the gym 4 days a week. I'll swim and do pullups and pushups at the beach the other days.  I disagree with dog and WM on the jogging. Jogging or cycling sucks.   High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is better for cardiovascular health than running or cycling. I do sprints or just take a brisk walk on days I don't weight train.   Look at the difference between an Olympic sprinter and a marathon runner. Which one looks better and is in better health? Or just look at this cycler   http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=16424
I never jog and my resting heart rate is 50. BTW the man who wrote the book on running, Jim Fixx, died of a heart attack while jogging.

I agree with the Shoo about how easy it is to make excuses but for me I've been doing this so long I feel terrible if I miss a workout. I know a lot of guys like "Bob" in this article.     
http://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/merry-christmas-bob  I used to smoke and drink, mainly beer, not booze, but I find now, more than an occasional glass or 2 of wine gives me a hangover.

I don't agree with Shoos approach to diet. I follow a high protein, low carb, moderate  fat diet. Love a good grilled cheese burger, no bun. Turkey, chicken, tuna, eggs, cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and good fats like avocado and nuts. I believe fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. I'll have a couple servings of whey protein a day in a shake or mixed with greek yogurt or oatmeal. I eat clean most of the time but will have an occasional cheat meal or some pizza or ice cream.

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#7 2014-09-24 11:46:27

stanshall

Long walks in the surf ....

and, for years, squash!  45 minutes of squash gets you going a bit .....

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#8 2014-09-24 11:48:10

Worried Man

I'm definitely not saying running or jogging is the best exercise.  I know it can also be bad on your feet and joints.  It's just how I choose to stay active.  Ideally I'd like to swim every day.

I will say, I had a physical and blood work done recently, and I was in fine condition.

#9 2014-09-24 11:59:09

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#10 2014-09-24 12:06:21

Worried Man

Good distinction there Dogs, between health and performance.  I don't care about performance one bit, per se.  Just staying active and feeling good is my goal.  I could stand to do some more stretching, as in the past few years I'm not quite as limber as I once was.

#11 2014-09-24 12:07:43

doghouse

^ Yoga. Does wonders.

#12 2014-09-24 12:12:57

Worried Man

So I hear.  Mrs. WM does the stuff.

I'll add that I've made a point of drinking more water throughout the day and I think it's helped.  I can't quite put my finger on the perceived advantage it has imparted, but I just feel a bit healthier.  Keeps things moving right along, flushing the pipes.

#13 2014-09-24 13:07:20

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

"McQueen's message was signaled through subtraction... in a tweed or herringbone jacket and a ribbed swearer he had an electric austerity".

#14 2014-09-24 13:10:58

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

#15 2014-09-24 13:10:59

Bop

I fight bare knuckle in car parks for cash.

#16 2014-09-24 13:11:32

Bop

With cars.

#17 2014-09-24 13:14:56

doghouse

#18 2014-09-24 13:16:23

doghouse

#19 2014-09-24 13:17:13

Worried Man

#20 2014-09-24 13:32:09

Bop

You'd be a lot worse without it.

#21 2014-09-24 13:36:14

Worried Man

#22 2014-09-24 13:37:02

Worried Man

#23 2014-09-24 14:43:29

steve mcqueen fan
Agent Ivy.

#24 2014-09-24 14:53:21

Worried Man

There have been a few people in the past few years that have killed themselves by doing stupid "how much water can you drink in 5 minutes bro" challenges.

#25 2014-09-24 15:32:46

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

I am ration myself to one run/jog a week now due to accumulation of injuries so I cycle more. I cycle about 12 miles 4 days a week commuting.  I do press ups and floor exercises daily and do a light weights high reps session once or twice a week. Oh and a yoga class.

For me nothing beats the cardio workout and sheer feeling of being alive that you get whilst running, but I have accepted that it has a deleterious effect on your joints and I don't want replacement knees just yet.

I've always thought that the hardest bit of going training is putting your kit on.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

Board footer