You are not logged in.

#26 2014-09-26 10:10:09

Oliver

Re: One shirt to rule them all!

I also really believe that once people get the right proportions down (pants rise, jacket length, etc) the full cut of a shirt is really not that big of a deal.

I'm looking forward to pairing those tattersalls with corduroy and tweed- with and without tie!

#27 2014-09-26 10:14:11

Worried Man

^
Indeed. 

So you're thinking of getting some of the "buttonless buttondowns" to wear with a pin?

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#28 2014-09-26 10:16:09

Oliver

Yeah, I want to try out some of the solid white and blue Superfine Broadcloths and maybe the British Khaki on White 2MM Graph Check to wear with my old J.Press pins. I think the latter would look great with camelhair or cord. Maybe the blackjack or red black tattersall to pair with tweeds.

Last edited by Oliver (2014-09-26 10:21:33)

#29 2014-09-26 10:17:57

Worried Man

Mmmmhmmmmm.... tasty... tasty.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#30 2014-09-26 10:20:21

Worried Man

It's also worth mentioning they do "j press" flap pockets.  Here's lookin' at you, Stan.

#31 2014-09-26 10:23:26

Oliver

Indeed, I plan on adding those pocket flaps to some popovers next summer; full and half-sleeves!

I have a "Mercer and Sons" notepad file with like 30 different shirts that I want to have made.

#32 2014-09-26 10:37:27

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#33 2014-09-26 10:52:02

Worried Man

Since I wear glasses constantly, I'm always switching back and forth between my specs and my sunglasses.  The pair not in use always goes in the breast pocket.  And yes, I'm always dumping them out onto the ground when I need to stoop.  As a result, almost all of my frames are scraped to heck.  The flap IS your friend.  It's practical when you need to get tactical.

#34 2014-09-27 14:56:06

Oliver

#35 2014-09-27 16:53:28

John Boy

"I think I had it in the back of my mind that I wanted to sound like a dry Martini" - Paul Desmond.

#36 2014-09-27 17:56:21

Oliver

The arms are cut a bit longer to account for shrinkage... as always, they look better with time and wear!

#37 2014-09-28 06:49:49

Worried Man

Are those your Luxire khakis?

#38 2014-09-28 07:07:28

Oliver

No they're vintage, they need to be altered here and there though.

#39 2014-09-28 08:08:02

Jdemy

I am sitting here with about 30 swatches from Mercers…was thinking about their Khaki Oxford cloth and their light blue end on end (despite the floppy factor.)  I have a Brooks Makers in tan that is close to the Mercer's Khaki and it's one of my favorites. Kamakura is also having a sale on MTM shirts- $300 for 3 MTM shirts…deciding between the two companies (Mercers and Kamakura) has been hard as I shouldn't really be spending ANY money on this stuff! 

I know most people on this site don't like Gant- BUT- I have found that their Yale Co-op shirts are closer to some of my 'boom years" button downs than any other shirt being currently sold off the rack.  The Yale Co-op shirts are not trendily slim, but they do have a mid-late 60's, moderate trimness.  Some of the patterned fabrics are extremely close to vintage plaids and that I own.

#40 2014-09-28 08:11:05

Jdemy

#41 2014-09-28 08:54:33

Oliver

If it helps, I haven't been impressed with anything I've seen from Kamakura in person. I get the sense that they're sort of a flash in the pan. They've gotten a lot of hype due to the Graham Marsh connection but the shirts are nothing to write home about. If you're going for a tapered fit though, Mercer isn't the answer unless you're willing to customize.

#42 2014-09-28 08:58:12

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Re Mercer: can anyone talk me through the minefield of ordering from them please ?

Remember i am based in the UK though.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#43 2014-09-28 09:05:06

Thee Captain

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#44 2014-09-28 09:06:32

Acton_Baby

"I have about 100 pairs of pyjamas. I like to see people dressed comfortably."
Hugh Hefner

#45 2014-09-28 23:07:46

Jdemy

#46 2014-10-04 23:19:30

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

After slagging them-off something rotten, I sported my Kamakura Graham Marsh Ivy shirts last week for work, with the right tie and jacket combination both shirts, the chambray and cream/near white worked quite well. The fit was also better than I remembered.

I'm in a slim-fit mood of late. Including with watches, my mission is to find the ultimate affordable wafer watch.

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#47 2015-02-28 13:05:22

Sal
Ivyist At Large

So, I'm sitting here tonight with my Mercer swatches and my tape measure and so on and I see that the measurements Mercer have provided for a Makers to help me compare it to their shirts in no way match the measurements of the actual Makers in my hand and I have to e-mail them or fill out a form by hand to make an order and there's a supplement to pay for each change or taper.  I'm not sure I can really be bothered with any of this unless you, my friends, convince me otherwise.

#48 2015-02-28 13:23:42

Oliver

Sal, unless you dig a really tapered Purist fit then I can't imagine you being dissatisfied if you just go half a size down on the body from the collar. I take a 15-14.5-33 and they're every bit as good as my mid century Makers. I've just called Serena this week to place two more orders for spring/summer. Tell her I sent you if/when you order and if it's your first purchase, you automatically get 15-20% discount. Hard to beat that! You'll be a return customer for life. They're undeniably the best made OCBDs available today; don't deprive yourself, man!

Re. supplemental costs for tapering... don't add a taper!! It's really not necessary; especially if you want a Makers cut. I followed someone's bad advice for my first order and requested additional taper. The shirts are not THAT blousy to begin with. A half size down is all you need. I plan on cutting out the collar of that wrongly ordered shirt to use it as an experimental pattern for a club collar that I'd like to try and make now because I'll never wear it again. They shrink up a touch after the first wash anyhow. No extra costs necessary if you stick to the stock shirt styles. Unless you start requesting rear collar buttons and flap pockets, and mess around with the placket, etc. there's no need to spend more.

If it's helpful to you, I can post detailed measurements for my shirts after many months of wash and wear...

#49 2015-02-28 13:44:00

Sal
Ivyist At Large

Thanks for the advice Oliver.  I suspect  I need to just pull my finger out and get on with placing an order.  But your photo above of a 15 neck on a 14 body still looks pretty big to me.  I'm not a fan of the waist billow, which is why I'm thinking of not only going down a whole size (15.5 to 14.5) but adding a taper as well.  I'd like to take advantage of the first time discount and order a bunch of shirts, but on the other hand a single trial shirt would be a less costly mistake if I screw up the measurements.  It's a hard road we Ivyists tread, maybe it's time to stick on a cd/dvd and mull this over tomorrow.

#50 2015-02-28 14:04:44

Oliver

Sal, what size are you man?

I have a 15 neck, 14.5 body with added taper that I can send to you if you want to give it a try. I find that it not only feels to tapered but looks wrong as well. It's akin to darts on a jacket. It just breaks up the clean boxy looking canvas. I made the mistake of doing this with university stripes and it was a bigger failure. If you go down a FULL size, you REALLY don't need the added taper.

If you want to hold your horses for a little while, I do have a very tasty treat in store... the absolute DEFINITIVE button down shirt. Better than vintage Makers... unless you happen to luck out on a deadstock 1950's Brooks! Priced similar to Mercer, though it hasn't been cemented yet. I may be able to post a sneak peek this week. Stay tuned...

Board footer