You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Is there anything you absolutely hate about Ivy ?

#101 2014-10-14 13:54:48

Bop

Re: Is there anything you absolutely hate about Ivy ?

#102 2014-10-14 13:57:18

Bop

Is that Brian Wilson or Chuck Norris?

#103 2014-10-14 13:57:18

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#104 2014-10-14 13:58:09

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#105 2014-10-14 13:59:04

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#106 2014-10-14 14:19:33

Harpo
The Best In The West

Twunt. That's a good one. Or fucktard.

As in, "Mike Love really is a fucktard isn't he? The twunt."

Randy lower-class trifler

#107 2014-10-14 14:26:10

Worried Man

Twunt's a new one for me.  I've heard twat and twit. 

"Numbskull" and "nimrod" are good with the right situation, timing, target, and of course, audience.

Last edited by Worried Man (2014-10-14 14:27:43)

#108 2014-10-14 15:01:25

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#109 2014-10-14 15:11:21

doghouse

Hide thy infants, hide thy Lady, and hide thy husband, alas they art forcing sexual intercourse upon the entire populace. - Wm Shakespeare

#110 2014-10-14 15:40:17

stanshall

#111 2014-10-14 15:43:49

stanshall

#112 2014-10-14 16:02:10

Worried Man

Ah yes. I forgot about the 'dill' family of insults. That reminds me, I'll also use "dildo", which I picked up from the lady.  "That guy is such a dildo!"

#113 2014-10-14 16:06:17

doghouse

#114 2014-10-14 16:07:18

doghouse

#115 2014-10-14 16:49:15

An Unseen Scene

For me I don't have confidence for Madras shirts or jackets, Go To Hell Ivy, Pop overs and other aspects and I've not ever adopted tassel loafers.  I'm glad others have though, it's just not for me.  I'm even giving up jeans and polos gradually now as they just don't feel right anymore.

My height and age means a 2 button jacket looks better than a 3 button now, so I tend to go for them.   Most 3/2 rolls in my proportions that have wide lapel or loud pattern look so I tend to go for modern two button jackets of the right look (to me). 

With regard to shirts, a full BB style rolled collar on someone of 5' 6" looks too much, too Harry Hill.  A 2-3 finger button rolled button down of standard length looks better and I therefore tend towards those. In reality I may be more dressed down Prep than traditional Ivy.   It doesn't matter, I'm just putting together a look drawn on Ivy influences.

Ivy is it seems quite a broad look within our self imposed stylistic choices.

There is a whole load of Ivy that doesn't work in a UK specific context (let's not open up on the differences) - bucks, bow ties, duck boots etc. I'll always personally filter Ivy style through a mid-century modern rather than American traditional dress perspective.   Flawed as that may be, it's my route in and sensibility.

Last edited by An Unseen Scene (2014-10-14 16:55:59)

#116 2014-10-14 17:43:31

Worried Man

I do like that we all have our own take on the look.  Keeps it fun.  I mean, if we all had the exact same taste it would be hard to make fun of one another.

#117 2014-10-14 18:55:51

Patrick

Gypsy dildo (from "Repo Man").

I don't like critter pants, but I do have belts with trout on them. So I'm inconsistent. Sue me, ya gypsy dildo nimrod wanker buttface asshat.

By the way, your mother looks like Cinderella's stepmother on a ten-day drunk.

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#118 2014-10-14 20:59:20

Worried Man

^
But you're an avid fisherman, so the trout get a pass.

But I don't abide the critters either.

#119 2014-10-15 02:48:24

Harpo
The Best In The West

As I've said before, I've never had the DTs, but having little animals running all over your trousers must be similar.

Randy lower-class trifler

#120 2014-10-15 03:17:11

Thee Captain

HATE is a terrible world generally for me these days as I try n espouse a better way through life….

I certainly can’t use it in a clothes context at all at all at all……

Whilst I may not care for clarks dessies, boat shoes, camp mocs, duffels (at the moment…) and a fair few other bits loved by many on here…. I will never say never….I’ll never really be happy in any particular look I’d wager and love to chop n change…

I still go through cravat modes ha ha…wear Barbour,  albeit mostly thee old classic Beacons which are essentially a motorcycle jacket… but I’m a happy son of immigrants….despise Far Right Wingers with a passion…it’s the perfect insult to em for me…and there remains a bit of the Jermyn St in me…hopefully forever… until I open my gob of course, he he…
Take it and slap it back in their mush I say….
I’ve yet to go down the bow tie route but Gawd I hope I do…
I don’t want to follow any dress code whatsoever Gentlemen…. I’m always up for a crack at any kind of attire…..BRING ON THE GARB… I’ve always believed I can pull off absolutely anything…of course that means donning some right mares over the years, but hey.. I really wouldn’t want it any other way…NEVER BE TOLD my brothers…. Wear your freak flag proudly….Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more…Follow your spirit, and upon this charge Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'……eh?......well I think we can safely say SOMEONE is hungover today….. a big up to McGlynn’s in the back streets of once shady Kings X…he he…

I’ll add pussy shit as a fave term of abuse and as heard by 2 well-to-do older gents having a barny on a bus many moons ago…. After trading insults and trying to be more offensive each time (and not really succeeding…) one of em..totally exasperated….uttered said term…..and got a round of applause for me as I had to tell the other one that “Mate…there’s no coming back from that one…..” he he…
Still makes me laugh to this day…

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#121 2014-10-15 03:53:45

Tomiskinky

Good friend and sartorialist Lord Dunsby has just released this for all you butt muchers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Art-Swearing-Examples-Colourful/dp/1909313521/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1413366592&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=the+art+of+swearing

#122 2014-10-15 03:56:56

Thee Captain

looks a winner T....

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..

#123 2014-10-15 04:06:07

Thee Captain

#124 2014-10-15 06:31:11

Worried Man

Thee Captain's got the right attitude.  I commend him.  The pussy drizzle that he is.  I just made that up.  Use freely.

#125 2014-10-15 06:35:18

Patrick

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Is there anything you absolutely hate about Ivy ?

Board footer