Incognito

Re: The Horse ?

All I'm giving is a personal opinion.
I just find the Blazer currently dead.
Next year that could be different....

#28 2014-11-16 14:24:20

Sidewinder

Currently dead? This is Ivy, there's hopefully nothing 'current' about it. The blazer as a staple just is, like water or air. It's a necessity of life.

Anyroad, tweed might be alright if you're freezing your swonnicles off on a regular basis but they don't call the blazer 'the californian tuxedo' for nothing.

It barely gets down to 10 degrees C here in the deepest winter and you may get to wear a tweed jacket just a handful of times.

My unlined hopsack blazer with horn buttons can cover all eventualities, but if there is a chill then I've a lined one, just in case.

#29 2014-11-16 15:25:48

Incognito

Fair play.
I believe Ivy to be current and not vintage/cute/retro. I like to play the 'timeless' card.
For our times, I just wonder about the Blazer.
One man's opinion.

#30 2014-11-16 15:27:14

Incognito

Also, I don't live in California.

#31 2014-11-16 16:36:13

Joey

A couple people may have misinterpreted my post. I tried to qualify it well that I don't dislike the blazer. But a navy blazer, as far as formal classifications of men's dress are concerned, lies in between a sport coat and a suit in formality. I have yet to see a modern functional need for this level of dress. Indeed I am among the youngest here and my experiences in life have been and will continue to be unique just like everyone else's. As far as I have seen, if you're dressing a blazer "down" with khakis and loafers, a sport coat would be equally socially acceptable. Similarly, if you are wearing a blazer to the extent of its formality- with flannels and oxfords- you might as well wear a suit.

I own and wear blazers but I've grown away from them a bit because- rather paradoxically I suppose- I prefer to wear my clothing items as casually as possible. I don't like to look dressed up, despite my wearing a tie and jacket every weekday (I lose the tie on weekends). I just don't like the whole plasticized look that seems to be prevalent, especially to a lot of #menswear folk. This also relates somewhat to the too-tight clothes that plague fashion today. I want to be comfortable. But I digress.

The blazer, due to its more formal nature than a sport coat, seems odder to me to wear on a daily basis. I mostly wear tweed or tweed-like fabrics year-round. In the summer I have a linen/wool herringbone jacket that gets a lot of use and I have some lighter wool jackets as well. That's just my personal style, of course. I don't mean to imply I don't think gentlemen like OCBD don't look good in their blazers! After all, we're all from different walks of life anyway. I live in a college town and I'm studying to be a professor... Tweed just comes with the territory.

The coordinator for the classical piano department here wears a navy blazer (and khakis) on a daily basis. Most of the really old folks (conducting professors and orchestra directors, it seems) lean toward tweed (mostly gray herringbone or similar, worn with black penny loafers).

Of course, one of my trumpet professors is one of those "shorts year-round" fellows so we get all types here.

Last edited by Joey (2014-11-16 16:36:37)

#32 2014-11-17 01:35:33

Incognito

Still with you. In my opinion the Navy Blazer is a bit out of time now. Its role and relevance seems uncertain to me today.
"The Middle", when it comes to dressing seems to have withered and died as time has gone by.
Now there is just the formal & the relaxed.
Ivy has always straddled that divide.
I just think that the Navy Blazer has got left behind  - It is neither formal or informal enough.
- Only an opinion.

#33 2014-11-17 09:49:29

stanshall

Last edited by stanshall (2014-11-17 09:57:12)

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#34 2014-11-17 10:06:31

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#35 2014-11-17 12:48:51

Incognito

I only called Prince Charles a loser.
Even he is dead well unhappy about his status and significance.
  - All well documented.

#36 2014-11-17 12:50:21

Incognito

.... And this is what we call 'A Talking Point' ....   wink

#37 2014-11-17 12:51:45

stanshall

/\  tweed is the best, I just wish the weather was more like it was in the '70s and '80s, that is to say, dependably cool and cold in the fall and winter ....

but the workhorse is still the ocbd because without it both the tweed and the blazer become part of a hybrid look .....

#38 2014-11-17 14:45:33

Worried Man

So the day that pic was taken was a nice sunny day (obviously) I think late Spring.  I just wore the blazer because I wanted to wear it.  I spent the day with the lady, out and about in the city, with absolutely no obligations.  The last time I wore that blazer was out to a nice dinner at a restaurant that has a loose dress code where men are requested to wear a sport coat.  I just grabbed the blazer, but I was wearing it with tan worsteds and plain toe bluchers.  So while the outfit that night was a bit dressier overall, I opted to forgo the tie.  Bottom line, if you fancy a navy blazer, just get one and wear it and have a blast.  It's not something to be fretted over.  Clothes are to be enjoyed!!

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#39 2014-11-17 15:01:25

4F Hepcat
THE Cat

It's a great look, I imagine that's how I would look if I was 10 years younger and had hair. What was the make of shirt?

Vibe-Rations in Spectra-Sonic-Sound

#40 2014-11-17 15:08:24

Worried Man

Brooks.  It's probably going on 3 or 4 years now.  Just regular traditional fit, not USA made, not Makers.  It's a sort of light lavender, and I find I rarely wear it, but it's a good Springy color.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#41 2014-11-17 20:33:40

Joey

#42 2014-11-17 20:41:50

GIZhou007
Ivy Original.

Doncaster for Blitzers raw silk jacket.  It is darted but is from the era and stands up to travel with no wrinkles.  The Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece grey with blue counterpane sack suit courtesy of Zach does all my suit needs at present.  Having lost 16kg it doesn't swimtoo much and a waist coat underneath fills it out just right.

#43 2014-11-18 03:12:13

Incognito

#44 2014-11-18 03:56:38

farrago
Ambassador Of Ivy

I am having a difficult time organizing my thoughts around this, so bear with me.

I am roughly the same age as Patrick and Stan. This places me in the era where a blazer was an essential part of the wardrobe. Less formal than a suit; dressier than a sport coat. Or so I was taught.

As standards have changed over the past thirty years, what constitutes "dressed up" has changed dramatically. I live in a place where a t-shirt and cargo shorts without holes or stains comprise a level of formality. The paradigm to which Joey alludes has been diluted for the past twenty years, at least.

On a daily basis, I still dress in pretty much the same way as I did when I was in college. An OCBD, a Shetland sweater, jeans-chinos-cords, blucher mocs or desert boots. All of this elicits the question, "Why are you so dressed up?"

So wearing a blazer, sport coat, or suit can only produce a fair bit of cognitive dissonance and uninformed comments from the uninitiated. O tempora! O mores!

The whole idea of "dressing up" is now lost on most of the populace. As you go about your day, observe the men around you. Shirts with necks too tight or loose; sleeves too long or short. Jacket length and shoulder width need to be reconsidered. The notion of going down to The Men's Wearhouse and having something thrown on you passes for an elevation of sartorial standards.

Oddly enough, as Patrick proves on a daily basis, one can wear the most rumpled of Ivy outfits and look damned good.

In my local outpost of The Land of Hope and Glory, most business people seem to wear suits without ties. A suit jacket worn with jeans or odd trousers is considered a sport coat. The funny thing, though, is that the women where I work have always taken the time to note that I, wearing but a sack sport coat and a pair of chinos, have dressed better than the others. Perhaps all is not lost.

#45 2014-11-18 10:58:13

stanshall

/\  nice comment, Farrago

I see blazers any time I go out, mine are 3/2 sacks, others have different kinds I don't like as much ....

btw the trim-fit blue blazer bums me out, Mr. J. Press .....

a blue blazer can be a parody item like when Danny Noonan wears one with a white yachting cap in the 'Shack or it can be a timesaver that I throw on at night for a party or an event or for work sometimes, particularly if I'm ducking in for a minute or two  ..... hopsack blazer, gray worsteds, yellow ocbd, loafers, every tie I own goes with this, haven't ever changed any element .....

it's a good item for when I'm feeling a bit lazy ... can't go wrong with it ....

more important than our agreeing is having thought about whether the blazer is relevant to me, and your points of view are duly noted and taken under advisement Joey and J. 'To ....

I like what Sidewinder wrote ....

socially I do see blazers, some of the wearers are geezers, all are geezers-in-training .... gits ....

I do see them on lawyers and my old schoolmates and friends ....

I'm loving the tweed but respecting the weather, the blue blazer works for me down here .....

plus blue is a favorite color of mine ....

to a certain degree when I see a bunch of blue blazers it's a group of (aging) preppies some of whom are still dressing Ivy ... but preppies have been keeping Ivy afloat since 1967 .....

Joey, you nailed it yourself: when you do pick up a blazer you actually like, a proper 3/2 natural shoulder with patch pockets, you'll find yourself reaching for it, I predict ......

J. 'To, glad you clarified, I bet you look just fine in a blazer ......

One more thing: obviously, please no badges or crests or piping or rowing stripes, leave the costumey stuff to RL Polo .......

#46 2014-11-18 12:13:35

Worried Man

#47 2014-11-18 12:14:45

Worried Man

#48 2014-11-18 16:23:05

Patrick

I have a rack full of blazers in various configurations and weights. I wear them pretty frequently, especially when I am in a hurry. As someone else noted above, almost everything I own works with a blazer.

I even have a one-button shawl collar green blazer. I wear that on St.Denis day

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#49 2014-11-18 16:35:08

stanshall

#50 2014-11-18 16:37:26

stanshall