You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Acknowledgements to carpu65 :The Ivyist's Like & don't like.

#26 2014-11-26 10:55:21

stanshall

Re: Acknowledgements to carpu65 :The Ivyist's Like & don't like.

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#27 2014-11-26 10:57:23

Yuca

¡Ja!

some sort of banal legitimacy

#28 2014-11-26 11:00:17

Bop

Always thought it made sense to start an exclamation or question with a punctuation mark.

#29 2014-11-26 11:01:11

Worried Man

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#30 2014-11-26 11:01:15

stanshall

#31 2014-11-26 11:07:36

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#32 2014-11-26 11:20:20

Incognito

#33 2014-11-26 11:31:58

stanshall

#34 2014-11-26 12:11:09

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#35 2014-11-26 13:23:34

Worried Man

^
That is really abhorrent.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#36 2014-11-26 14:58:55

stanshall

/\  worst tie I've ever seen ... although it reminds me of The Waterboy, in which Mr. Coach Klein wears a navy blue bucket hat when he visualizes Jerry Reed as a nice little baby rather than a playbook-stealing lifelong nemesis ....

Like:

my $5 bucket hat with red and blue hatband

#37 2014-11-26 16:30:59

Worried Man

Oh, and no logos please. 

And I DO like old school sneaks like PF Flyers, Keds, and the trusty All-Stars.

#38 2014-11-26 19:15:34

GIZhou007
Ivy Original.

#39 2014-11-26 20:27:27

stanshall

#40 2014-11-27 01:33:40

Yuca

Repp ties are mostly genuine regimental or school ties, and whenever a US repp wearer spends time in the UK or with Brits (particularly those of the upper classes or ex military) there is a high possibility of their causing offence. I recall an account of this happening to someone on the AAAT forum; they were on the receiving end of a caustic comment from, as I recall, a judge, although there was no removal from the premises or tie-snipping. I'm sure when repps were more commonplace these incidents were far more common. Probably one reason why repps are less popular with Brit ivy fans.

Of course Brooks were astute enough to reverse the stripes, which I assume makes their ties inoffensive to those entitled to wear the originals.

some sort of banal legitimacy

#41 2014-11-27 07:40:41

Worried Man

I hazard a guess that you could navigate the entirety of the American landscape without anyone questioning the stripes on your tie, especially at this point in time. 

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to wear regimental stripe ties,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

#42 2014-11-27 08:09:06

Patrick

I like:

Old shapeless chinos with the floating crotch
Sport coats that when they've been worn enough feel like sweaters
Big Fat Bastard shoes
The occasional foray into double-breasted territory
Ties with fly-fishing motifs. Belts, too. No other critters need apply.
Sweater vests. I overheat easily, and these are a good compromise.
Old LL Bean 60-40 sport shirts in exact neck/sleeves sizes.
Buttondown collars with poplin and heavy wool suits. Otherwise point collars for suits.

Dislike:

Tassel loafers
Jeans, not because of any cultural thing, but because I can't find any that fit. And I've been trying to years.
Patch Madras anything. It's like going to a restaurant at closing time and being offered the leftovers from eight different dishes, in a big bowl, for full price.
Fedoras on anybody under the age of 35.

There's lots more. I am awash in biases and prejudices.

Last edited by Patrick (2014-11-27 08:09:41)

Otter : Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
Boon : I thought you were pre-med.
Otter : What's the difference?

#43 2014-11-27 10:12:17

stanshall

#44 2014-11-27 15:13:39

carpu65

Carpu65

What he likes:

The suits of David Niven in the movie "Oh men! Oh women"! (see:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRvNGDJhU4k )
In Ivy field, sack suits with  natural shoulder in 1954 circa silhouette and proportions.
Flannel.
Shirt with pin collars.
Tiny watches.
Martini cocktail.
Curvy women.
The great American jazz songbook.
Dwight David Eisenhower (i like Ike...namely the moderate conservative).

What he doesn't like:

Too much coloured "go to hell".
huge patterns,huge lapels,huge ties.
Pattern on pattern on pattern
I hate intensely the sprezzatura/Pitti uomo/gent.
Communists and fascists.
Fanatic politically correctness
Tattoos,necklaces and bracelets (on men).
ultra skinny short suits.

#45 2014-11-30 12:16:00

Thee Captain

I shall throw in my two cents here as someone who doesn’t consider himself an Ivyist or ever will…but as someone who appreciates Distinctive Apparel for The Discerning Gentleman blah blah blah….

I can’t really dislike clothing but shall coin the phrase for this post as “shizzle wot don’t make me drizzle” – I can only say from my history, that I have surprised meself over the decades and hope to continue to do so in whatever years I have coming to me…

So for stuff that doth maketh Thee Captain drizzle… and in absolutely no order….

DENIM

Is there a better fragrance out there for Men today?

I doubt it….

But back to clothing…I simply adore denim… can’t get enough of it..still infuriates me when I can’t pick up more of what I really like here i.e. 1927 501s – my faves (as we speak of course…)… Forever a Levi’s Cinch Back Nosher, I do have some Lee Originals in a 30s stylee & some Old Carhartt double fronts that still see action in the field when it’s parkie!
Will add Lee 81 L-J, Big Bens, Montgomery Wards & any blanket lined chores here that I never tire of…

PEA COATS

A MUST for any wardrobe…have had all sorts over the years..my faves as of now are Sterlingwear, an old Schott brown leather (no logo) and of course the DADDY..the 10 button 40s’s WW2 Naval Clothing Factory Manufactured – mine belonged to some geez called Salisbury…I’d love to know his history…

A BIT OF LEATHER/Suede/Double breasted action

A-2s/G-1s/, my Holy Grail 40s Barnstormer (Oh mein schlinken….) (Pea-coat: see above), a suede A-1 copy and menlos type jobby - see Ivystyle of t’other day…

MACKINAW & the like

20s DB Chippewa shawl, LVC DB Mackinaw shawl of a few years back, Pendleton, McGregor heavy duties that I’m praying the temperature drops for ….RIGHT AROUND NOW GOD…if you’re listening…
I just LURVE….Double Breasted…..
Also love Hunting style shit…not that I’ve ever gone hunting..or ever will…but I do like to sneak round Morrisons on all 4s at times….so I LIKE to be turned out just right for ensnaring a pastie or a pint of milk innit…

MILITARY SHIZZLE
Can throw in Deck coats, M65 jackets and trewsers – still can’t find me no loons here…Vintage Trends are a right tease here as I write Woof….they were all over me like a rash originally but now they can’t find any…..can you have a word, Chief? You can?? Ta very…

LOOP COLLARS

Can’t get enough of these…from Vintage Hawaiins/old checks/plaids/stripes/Pendleton/ LVC sunsets/Tk Maxx Polos on the cheap, Pike Bros Roamers – I loves em... and can always be worn outside yer trousers too….HURRAH!!

THEE ‘UMBLE WHITE TEE

Still a pain in thee ‘arris for all, eh? Usual suspects come n go here, huh?!? Currently Hanes label-less for under stuff..Goodwear/Velva Sheen for thickies..

BARBOUR

But just the A132 Beacons & Nato M12s for me..pre logo wank cock and just ultimate classics for me.. now have 2 of each (1 decent, 1 knackered in each…) so should be ok now for life & essential kit in the UK climate.

HEADWEAR
Stetson mainly on the 8 piece front..but like an army style, baseball/old ’ip ‘oppy ones and a beanie when it’s cold enough…
Have a few ear flap jobbies too for when I’m feeling uber ridiculous..
Have been wanting some kinda hat for years,,,but this has still to go anywhere…

WORKWEAR

Old Carhartt/Ben Davis/Dickies mainly – great rises on yer ROOMY pants..nice simple tops..great chores..
Thee French chore of course…just live in these now come warmer months along with old US similar non blanket lined bits, LVC etc.
I love Vetra…even Keydge here to a degree…modern bits that be super relaxed… I wear Keydges with tees a lot…or did…we’ll come on to that sorta thing later….

KNITWEAR

I loves a Shetland still…really don’t need any more…Drakes/JS/Present & YMC have been all great down the years for me! Currently like the M&S lambswool saddle v necks – cheap n cheerful! A few shawl stylees still see action too,,, ..Smedly/Universal Works/Polo come to mind… and always appreciate a good cardy..Smedley/old Scottish jobbies from Berk Cashmere with footie buttons (R.I.P. – a great loss that…) ..
Vintage knitwear can do one for me personally….never seen ANYTHING worth buying that would fit me  tbh.
I’ll Shetland over a plain tee or a loop collar/button down unbuttoned outside the collar…..

Hang on….WTF?!?!?!? what was that this Beardy Berkeley Hunt just said?!?!??

Yep – the cries of outrage ring round the forum no doubt, so I suggest we ALL JUST CALM THE FUCK DOWN & have us an interlude:

Please watch this till the end for ultimate calmness to be restored:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUzGF401vLc

RIGHT, if yer hissy fit is over…we shall continue….

THE BUTTON DOWN

I’ve gone 15 years before where I couldn’t stand the button down after my days of youth..so this has just been the norm for me to wear them unbuttoned…
I’m currently out of love for the button down buttoned down but really in love with wearing em unbuttoned over a white T – soft collars look great like this for me!
A Blue Makers is ultimate class – we all know that…I’ll return to loving the “ROLL” soon enough but that’s just how it is currently….think of it like yer good lady…and giving her one up the Tradesman’s every now n then, eh?!? It’s the same thing but from a different angle…Mmmm…maybe a better way to have expressed that in hindsight but time marches on n all that…

A DARN GOOD RAINCOAT

I loved Dunn & Co when I were a nipper but when I returned to them many moons later I went for London Fog…and fell back in love with these big time last year… with my usual kinda thing, they work well and with removable liners it’s a 2 for 1 jobbie, eh? RESULTAMUNDO!!!
Never gone down the Grenfell/UK road as probably not such a major item in any wants list and added to the FACT that I’m always falling back on the Barbours and my imaginery Norton….when it’s peeing down…

PENDLETON

Another thing I’ve always loved and am damn sure I always will…

I see there’s another thread about it currently – I lose track of what the fook they is all called even though Acton gives me a tutorial every few months where I always seem to score a C- when I return my paper….?
Whilst I need to work harder on my Pendy Handles there’s absolutely no doubting they are class…and still tons out there so I’ll continue buying even tho’ I’ve more than enough in thee various forms…

SWEATS/SPORTS WEAR

Thee Gray sweat is a must have…but have probably every shade bar black of Buzz Rickson now and they are more than value for money I’d say…do miss the nuclear thick older ones they stopped doing too some years back!
Any type of shawl job is a winner too a la Velva Sheen that I know I & the Woolster love (are you still on here Woolie….? Always admired your work Sir…)..and Universal Works did some similar great ones a few years back…all get worn continually!
I note RealMcCoys are opening up soon in Cov Gdn so they’ll be a contender no doubt…

T SHIRTS

I’ve always loved a T-shirt, especially a nice stripey one…Sunspel/LVC/John Lewis come to mind currently…all my kinda thing… and I still don thee odd B-Boy number here n there as frankly I just can’t get rid of ‘em…and lest us forget…original B-Boys were immaculately turned out Blud!!!

ACCESSORIES

Any vintage Tootal/Sammy & the like I never tire of….
A nice nit of Cashmere for when it’s Brass Monkeys too – Drakes do wonderful scarves…

SUSPENDERIZATION Rules of course…be it on the trouser front…sock… or belt..  avec Camisoles and French ker-nickers….

Excuse me…I need a moment…and a quick…PHWOARRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Eughhhh…was that a sex wee I just did?!??!

No – we’re ok….

FOOTWEAR

Redwings I obviously LIVE IN…particularly now as Plantar Bastard Fasciitis is nibblin’ at mein hoofs….
Paraboot I adore and whilst I’ve not been wearing em much in recent months…thee long wing remains the FUCK YOU of shoes for me…I’m sure I’ll be back into all 374 pairs I have soon….*coughs*….and of course…UGG BOOTS…for when I’m shooting down the shops….

UGG BOOTS?!?!??!?!

People – I think we need another interlude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7GXWuTwkF8

Actually – this one is full-on MENTALIST….you may need to step away from it…..NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We good again??

OK OK….I don’t wear UGG BOOTS….
I don’t have 374 pairs of Longwings neeeeeeeva!

RIGHT – On to the stuff that is wonderful but I’m just not wearing at the mo…

3/2 ROLLERS…

Sadly, I don’t seem to have any desire to wear these in the last few months…but it’s just a phase…I include Keydge here too,,,the chores/alternative blousons/shirt,jumper coat/t shirt, sweat has been ruling the roost since it’s got nippier….

STILL – it’ll be like a new wardrobe when I return to it, eh?

HARRINGTONS & THE LIKE

Just not wearing em much anymore – again…blame that frickin’ French Ponce in me…the chore wins every time now..

CERTAIN FOOTWEAR

Loafers/Playboys which I used to work in have not seen hardly any action in the last 6 months I’d say – foot problem probably the main culprit here I’d wager…

ACCESSORIES

Ties the main one here…I’ve some splendid Roosters n the like but they no coming out…due to lack of proper shirtage wear and jacket stylee…
Pocket squares another that remain locked away..

Am sure I’ll get another urge to smarten up soon mind…

Ooh hello….Nature’s calling….

Here’s another interlude then whilst I go recreate Rodin’s…THE THINKER….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h13XVkJ_kp0

Jeez – I SERIOUSLY need to look at my diet….

Right – we’re nearly done…and if you’re still reading this, then my oh my…I shall make you an asparagus quiche followed by a Victoria Sponge you splendid fellow…
Of course, if you are still reading this, you really are extremely bored right now aintcha…. So GET A FRICKIN’ LIFE YOU FRICKIN’ FRICK….

Sorry – it’s been a long day…

THEE SHIZZLE THAT DON’T MAKE ME DRIZZLE

Again – there’s no HATE involved here…I’m just not bothered in essence….

6 buttoned Makers – you know what…I just don’t get it…I’ve  a fair few mind but tend to discard now… as I think they look a tad crap with no tie.. even unbuttoned…cos tho I like being unbuttoned (down) , I like to keep the second button open too over a tee…. Are you still with me?...No, I thought not…I’m losing the will to live now if truth be known…
Each to their own I guess…

Clarks Dessies – No urge…EVER…up to now at least….

Boat shoes/Camp Mocs & anything else I don’t know wot they be called but may come up in any search in said field… I do actually shudder when I see these you know…but hey…I’m not gonna come up to ya and punch you real hard in the cock am I?... and like I say….I never say never…my epiphany could be just round the corner?!?!?

Anything slim fitting…especially trousers…NO TAPERING ON MY WATCH thank you please…but that’s mainly due to the fact that I’m a heavy set lump who looks ridiculous in them!
The Slim Jims amongst you…fine…

Right – think we can all agree that this post has gone on way beyond the polite time to leave…there’s so much more I could add of course….

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#46 2014-11-30 13:17:18

Chet

Pure class Capn (as always).  However, I do draw the line at 'SUSPENDERIZATION', but each to their own I say. 

LIKES (in no particular order):

3/2 Tweed sacks
Brooks wash n wear suits
Sero/Hathaway/Arrow Cum Laude/Gant OCBD
Popovers
Peacoats
Raincoats (London Fog)
A2 Jackets
Ramjet jackets
Woolrich 60/40 parkas
L L Bean flannel lined chinos
L L Bean Scotch Plaid Flannel Shirts
Thorogood boots (cheaper than Red Wings)
L L Bean Ragg Wool Socks
Hanes Beefy T
Weejuns
Florsheim Yuma loafers
Longwings
Sperry Top siders
Shawl neck cardigans
Shetlands (particularly Alan Paine)
Gloverall duffle coat
LVC 505
Dockers Chinos
Stetson Caps
Tootal/Sammy scarves
Randolph sunglasses

DISLIKES:

White Bucks
Ball strangling low rise, slim fit, arse revealing trousers of any variety

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

#47 2014-11-30 15:21:44

stanshall

#48 2014-11-30 15:27:12

stanshall

#49 2014-12-01 05:58:39

Thee Captain

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#50 2014-12-01 07:14:37

Chet

Last edited by Chet (2014-12-01 07:16:05)

Do you know what a Palmist once said to me? She said: will you let go!
Vivian Stanshall

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » Acknowledgements to carpu65 :The Ivyist's Like & don't like.

Board footer