You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 'Ivy League' style or the style of the Ivy League universities ?

#1 2014-11-24 13:38:49

Incognito

'Ivy League' style or the style of the Ivy League universities ?

They're different.

The style of the Ivy Leage universities is only a subset of 'Ivy League' when used as a menswear term.

I think this causes more than a little confusion with some.

'Preppy'is the same - Far more wore the style than just those who attended Prep Schools.

'Ivy League', like the 80's 'Preppy' fashopn craze comes from New York in origin.
Certainly college boys and prep school kids wore the respective styles, but so did a whole lot of others.

In the case of 'Ivy' only a minority of the clothes sold in the style came from Brooks or Press, etc.
Both shops were too expensive and or inaccessible to most back in the day.

Most Ivy came from local menswear shops, department stores, places like that.

Always sold as 'elitist', but sold to all at all price points. 'Marketing' is the name for this.

So who's into what ?

Ivy League clothing or American Universities ?

Just interested.

#2 2014-11-24 14:46:09

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: 'Ivy League' style or the style of the Ivy League universities ?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-0_uw_TayxE

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#3 2014-11-24 15:48:52

stanshall

what items were part of the allegedly larger set of "Ivy League when used as a menswear term" that were not also part of the supposed "Ivy League university" style subset?  I look through the ivyleaguelook blogspot of Ivy League campus style from Princeton, Cornell, Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth and it's got it all right there, with little input from the New York City Ivy school Columbia I might add.

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#4 2014-11-24 16:34:06

Incognito

#5 2014-11-24 16:37:28

Incognito

#6 2014-11-24 16:40:00

Incognito

Ivy died on the campus long before it did in the broader society.

Last edited by Incognito (2014-11-24 23:50:55)

#7 2014-11-25 09:52:41

stanshall

but Ivy never died completely on or off campus, it just became one of many styles rather than the predominant one ... the same boarding school people who wore it first continued to wear it even though it got a little less tapered and narrow (thanks L. L. Bean for the hugely voluminous chinos) .....

Ivy was a magpie style from the start and the students were the magpies .....

#8 2014-11-25 11:47:10

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#9 2014-11-25 12:13:36

Sammy Ambrose

If you aren't seeing through all three eyes at once day and night you are up shit creek without a paddle. The Shooman

#10 2014-11-25 12:16:03

Sammy Ambrose

#11 2014-11-25 12:20:57

Yuca

some sort of banal legitimacy

#12 2014-11-25 12:23:39

Yuca

#13 2014-11-25 12:30:15

Sammy Ambrose

Last edited by Sammy Ambrose (2014-11-25 12:31:10)

#14 2014-11-25 12:41:58

Yuca

And drug dealers.

#15 2014-11-25 12:42:21

stanshall

#16 2014-11-25 13:25:19

carpu65

#17 2014-11-25 13:34:57

Bop

#18 2014-11-25 14:22:23

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#19 2014-11-26 04:49:44

Incognito

Last edited by Incognito (2014-11-26 04:50:17)

#20 2014-11-26 14:53:49

stanshall

/\  all true as well

best way to think of it for me is that it was a combination of efforts by the student wearers who put together the sport coat, Shetland sweater, ocbd, chino, flannels, and penny loafer style because they didn't have to wear suits for work, and the white-collar and academic compulsory suit wearers who had already graduated and who perfected that sack suit, longwing, ocbd, repp tie, single-breasted raincoat style that Madison Avenue got from Boston .....

as well as all the people out in the country who wore tweed and wool and outdoor hunting and fishing clothes, and the people who went skiing, and the bon vivants who went to the Stork Club and the sober people in church, the jazz players and hipper American movie stars .....

plus all the manufacturers and retailers and advertisers and stylists and entertainers and wardrobe designers ....

it took all of them to make the Ivy look but I give more credit for the look to the consumers and wearers than to producers, sellers or advertisers but the relationships are mutually dependent ... the students were not the ones who came up with the name but much marketing focused on them and their image and the association of the clothes with school was strong, as was the commercial association of the Ivy suit with the sophisticated stuff of post-graduate adult life ....

some marketing was geared to students, some of it to graduates, we know what worked, some people learned the stuff from family, others picked it up at school, some at college, some in shops, some at work, some in clubs, from TV, movies, photos in Life magazine, from people they saw, or from what they were bought or given by family with no personal choice at all, some from shop windows either in New York or Princeton or Atlanta ....   

everybody looks good in it, it's amazing that way, there's plenty of precedent for anybody interested in the style, all kinds of people wore it, young, old and Seven Sisters style could be really sweet (although it could seem rough, too, by Sunday afternoon) depending on the girl ....

I've yet to see anybody look bad in it ... except maybe certain shots of items I don't like ... but I don't think anybody was barred in reality or conceptually from wearing it ...

there were even Ivy villains like Murph the Surf   

the other day I was looking at an Ivy sport coat, a cotton blazer with plain buttons, old, sun-faded but in beautiful shape ... 3/2, patch and flap, steep hook, two on the sleeve, welts galore, perfect lapels, sure it was half or quarter lined ... pretty sure it was Brooks but it was realer than real ... I know this coat, my friend owns it, he got it from an in-law ....

if I could fit into the coat I would find a way to get it, even by force ....

the old clothes really do have tales to tell .....     

been thinking all week how much I would have liked to have gone to some Brooks Brothers, J. Press, and Andover Shop trunk shows outside of New York from 1950 to 1970, and seen

where the shows were held

what the shop representatives were wearing and who they were

what the people at the show, particularly the students, as well as the parents, townspeople, were wearing, and who they were, and what they said

the clothes from the trunks

what other advertising materials or props the "travelling representatives" had and what they said and pictured

the clothing that people ordered .....

how the Ivy style progressed .....

#21 2014-11-26 14:59:12

Worried Man

I like to think my experience in being exposed to the look mirrored that of plenty of average American boys and men of 60 years ago: from the Blue Note covers and the covers of the Kingston Trio's records to the characters on Dobie Gillis, My Three Sons, Leave it to Beaver, Twilight Zone, Dragnet, etc.  The look came to me through facets of mid-century popular culture, it was singed into my mind's eye, and that's still the strain of the look that I have a soft spot for.  The style as I knew it really had nothing to do with the universities, other than the name itself.  That link was uncovered later.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#22 2014-11-26 15:23:18

stanshall

#23 2014-11-26 16:08:35

Worried Man

My, you look lovely today, Mrs. Cleaver.

June was gorgeous.  Just pedestrian enough to be convincing, but so gorgeous.  My kind of lady for sure.   

Haskell was always just decked out.  On more than one episode Wally and Lumpy are green with envy, yet dubious, after he irresponsibly splurges on some to-die-for collegiate duds.  Such a good show.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#24 2014-11-26 16:16:16

stanshall

f#@%$&g Haskell .....

but I am only really jealous of Dick York and Dick Sargent because I only truly love Samantha Stephens

#25 2014-11-26 16:20:34

Worried Man

Uncannily beautiful she was. Yet also cute as a button.  Her and Barb both had cute noses.  But Dick York had a better wardrobe than Sargent, although Sargent had the benefit of color TV.  But that may have been to his detriment, as it was the late '60s.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 'Ivy League' style or the style of the Ivy League universities ?

Board footer