You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

#76 2014-12-10 14:50:37

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

Re: 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

I have a pair of M2s. The rise is acceptable but they are voluminous. I had mine tapered which improved things a bit, but I have never posted a picture of myself in them since Goodyear Welt said they made me look like MC Hammer.

'I'm not that keen on the Average Look .......ever'. 
John Simons

Achievements: banned from the Ivy Style FB Group

#77 2014-12-10 14:55:10

Worried Man

He really ruined them for you?

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#78 2014-12-10 14:57:49

Bop

#79 2014-12-10 15:03:09

Worried Man

^
The rise looks decent.

"We close our sto' at a reasonable hour because we figure anybody who would want one of our suits has got time to stroll over here in the daytime." - VP of George Muse Clothing, Atlanta, 1955

#80 2014-12-10 15:03:31

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

Thanks Woof , i am now concerned.

�Careful with that axe Eugene.�

#81 2014-12-10 15:05:45

Worried Man

Yeah.  God forbid GW disapproves of your clothing choices.  On that account, I should have thrown in the towel ages ago.

#82 2014-12-10 15:11:20

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

#83 2014-12-10 15:14:21

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#84 2014-12-10 15:19:57

stanshall

"bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay"

#85 2014-12-10 15:26:04

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

John Simons

#86 2014-12-11 02:08:13

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
”All political art is bad – all good art is political.”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#87 2014-12-11 02:09:52

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”
"Would there be any freedom of press or speech if one must reduce his vocabulary to vapid innocuous euphemisms?"

#88 2014-12-11 02:36:04

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#89 2014-12-11 02:43:59

Gunter Walzit

#90 2014-12-11 02:46:22

Gunter Walzit

#91 2014-12-11 02:54:28

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

“No Room For Squares”

#92 2014-12-11 03:44:14

Thee Captain

I’ll echo Tommy’s eloquent response here – well said Sir!

My take on it:

I’ve been buying bits from John for years now and have always found him incredibly engaging…
Must have bought about 3 suits, endless shirts new n old, a fair few pairs of different strides, loads of caps, coats, jumpers, belts…you name it….even 2 pairs of Red Wings back in the days of Russell St..

He has a tremendous knowledge of clothing generally, wherever it’s from, which for someone like me, a non Ivy Bonerist is always welcome!
He’s always interested in what I’ve bought,  and new names on the block…and of course always has a tremendous tale to tell about a specific item, it’s history and his take on it..

Paul is a most excellent fella too! I like his take on it all too…goes Beyond obvious IVY which is just fine by me…

Hats off to ‘em for really having a crack at their own line too.. far more soulful than Baracuta and the like… It’s not all for me, but I wouldn’t want it to be at this stage of my life…I of course wish their shirts fitted me better but it’s not the end of the world is it?

I basically just like going in there…and having a natter…

Last Friday sums up the JS experience perfectly for me!

Only John was there as Paul had family stuff to take care of:

I said to John I was wondering if a pair of cords I tried on a year or so ago might still be in the shop, as I really regretted not getting them etc. - &  lo n behold…BINGO!

I tried 2 vintage sacks on and 2 vintage coats whilst I was there…one of the coats was v nice but I just don’t need it!
Tried some newer bits too just out of curiosity..
There’s always been excellent vintage pieces in store and no doubt always will! Sadly, non South Eastern folk will probably miss out here but hey, them’s the brakes…

All in all we must have chewed the fat for well over an hour…and at the end of the day, I came away with said cords, an Alan Paine cardy and a City Sports cap (just to make a change from Stetsons which I live in…)…
I had some Paraboot questions too that John will pass on to Paul blah blah blah…and so the beautiful merry-go-round continues to turn people…

For me, this is all beyond poxy IVY… it’s about interacting on a personal level…having a laugh and picking up titbits and knowledge…

It’s about being happy to see someone and have that backatcha…

It seems to me that the people throwing a hissy fit here are those that have never gone there much anyhow… and I’m not knocking you… that’s fair enough.. it’s just for anyone in the London area with an interest in American clothing would have had to  have been a complete mong to never have gotten some rich experience from the place over the years… even if you just admire the pictures on the wall?!?

So for the record, I don’t think the sun shines out of his arse at all…I just like and ADMIRE what he’s done, does and what Paul will continue to keep doing all being well….Yes, a lot of stuff is hit n miss…may be pricey at times…but we ALL take a gamble on ebay/etsy….and end up with summat truly shite we can’t be arsed to send back to the middle of nowhere, USA & beyond…

I’d much rather try before I buy….and end up with summat that really does fit!

And it’s exactly the same for me going to see Chris & Lloyd…. Fellas who’ve been there, done it…but are open to a lot more different angles as well…. And who see gaps in the market today & get off their arse and do summat about it, blah blah blinky blah…

All 3 are far better dressed than us too, so stick that in yer crack pipe & chase the dragon, eh?!? Ha ha…

For me it’s all about people who appreciate good style:
I know who they are and that’s all that interests me here FULL STOP.

So of course for a marketing stiffie & trying to SELL a NIGHT…call him the King of Ivy by all means… and acknowledge what he’s done I say….. Let’s not be so precious about what is or isn’t Ivy, who’s the King or who isn’t… let’s just give someone a pat on the back every now n then, huh?!?

And at the end of the day, if I have to sit & listen to anyone talk about IVY,  I’d much rather it be someone like this… who’s obviously been an influence & shaped the way I’ve turned out…

He came he saw he gave the WANKER SIGN! Moved on from Talk Bollocks now as it's well shite innit and y'all look MINGIN'..
I Lunge Therefore I Am #theecaptainofsuave
https://www.mixcloud.com/TheeCaptainOfSuave

#93 2014-12-11 03:52:07

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Last edited by Hard Bop Hank (2014-12-11 03:55:26)

“No Room For Squares”

#94 2014-12-11 04:11:46

Hard Bop Hank
Ivy Soul Brother

Cheers, Captain!

Yeah, what you said!

I mean, Paraboot Michael...

Which one of the original US Ivy League (TM) outfitters is selling these shoes?

There's lots of stuff like this in JS.

And he's a humble and modest person, nothing showy or pushy about him...

“No Room For Squares”

#95 2014-12-11 04:24:54

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

I thought my posts would bring a few loyalists out for a punch up.
The truth is i actually agree with 99% of what you have posted.

#96 2014-12-11 04:25:01

woofboxer
Devil's Ivy Advocate

JS is, what 74 ...75 years old whatever, well past the age by which most people have stopped working and by which many brains are turning to mush. Yet he's still there, putting in the hours at the shop, engaging with the customers, designing fresh stuff and still displaying strong drive and a passion for what he does. He is a lucky man to be like that and it's lucky that he has been around for those of us who enjoy going to his shop.

John Simons

#97 2014-12-11 04:25:10

Worried Man

Saying Ivy isn't an American look and export is like saying Jazz is African.

#98 2014-12-11 04:54:02

Bop

#99 2014-12-11 04:54:55

Armchaired
Ivy I.V.

#100 2014-12-11 04:57:39

RobbieB

JS deserves a lot of credit for keeping the flag flying in regard to Ivy in the UK.
I believe the name Harrington came from the customer(s) but JS was quick to use it as shorthand for the jacket.
Why doesn't Jeff Kwintner get any credit? He seems to have been written out of the history.
There were other shops in 1970 selling clothes made in USA but they fell by the wayside.JS kept going and even he struggled at times. Amazing that he is still around today.

'I am a closet optimist' Leonard Cohen.

• Index
  •  » Talk Ivy
  •  » 2015 Jewish Book week John Simon's event.

Board footer